Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Itinerary recommendations for Crater Lake National Park area
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: June 10, 2019 05:06AM
Hi

We have a trip coming up this summer where we will be spending about 3 1/2 days driving from Redmond to Bend to Klamath Falls and Crater Lake National Park before heading back to Redmond to catch our flight back.

Wondering if anyone familiar with this area or who has done a similar trip in the past can provide any pointers on things to do in the area, particular hikes to take, things to see, etc. Basically, I'm trying to create an itinerary of things that will be doable either in or around the locations I listed.

Thanks in advance

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Itinerary recommendations for Crater Lake National Park area
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 10, 2019 07:07AM
We enjoyed the several wildlife refuges. Some have drivable trails.
Lava beds national monument is interesting as well. The lava tubes there are small caves you can explore.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 10, 2019 07:53AM
Really love the Bend/Sisters/River Canyon area. We used to spend Thanksgiving at Sunriver Resort, which is a great place for small kids and for extended family to rent a place together. Have done a few summer vacations there too and can't wait to go back. The horseback riding near La Pine or River Canyon, river rafting on the Deschutes or hiking will be fantastic.

Recommended family hikes near Bend:
Alder Springs Trail (great high desert views, personal favorite)
Pilot Butte (up close look at a dormant volcano)
Tumalo Falls

Sisters is a cute old style western town with some great breweries and a fun little downtown to explore. Deschutes is our favorite Oregon beer, the brewery is in Bend and they have tours. Cuban Kitchen in Bend is excellent but overall the food scene is good there, lots of good choices if you want to eat out.

As you probably know its high desert so hot days and chilly nights. It can also be very dusty, sometimes uncomfortably so for anyone with breathing issues.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 10, 2019 08:16AM
I’ve done Yakima to Bend to Crater Lake and back to Yakima. Crater lake is cool but you have to be in to nature and hiking. The drive up to Crater Lake from the east is a long straight ascending road. You can see the yellow lines rising to the horizon and climbing toward the sky. It’s cool. At least I thought so. I rode my bike around the rim and camped. Bend seemed to be made of money. Lots of fancy SUVs, private airstrips, gated communities.

[goo.gl]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 09:49AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 10, 2019 09:36AM
.......just around......

Just Around The Riverbend - Pocahontas (lyrics).................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 10, 2019 10:00AM
I haven't been up the coast in that part of the state in a generation, is the Sea lion caves still considered a fun destination?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Bo
Date: June 10, 2019 10:21AM
I bike/hike in the greater crater lake area a fair amount and can offer some specifics but first a question: is there something pulling you to klamath falls? Or is it more about seeing a map and it looked like a good place based on how far south you wanted to drive?
Date: June 10, 2019 10:27AM
Thanks for all the replies so far

Bo - for your question, yes, I think we had heard about Klamath and thought it's not too much further south from Crater Lake to drive and check out before heading back north all the way to Redmond to catch our flight back
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 10, 2019 11:00AM
I'm currently on my Oregon place, which is about 25 min from the north entrance of Crater Lake. I'd skip Klamath Falls and spend more time closer to Bend-Sisters-Sunriver. The north entrance is still closed due to snow, and you can't hike down to the lake yet. Bugs are fierce!
Lots of hiking, biking, fishing, hot springs, floating,and waterfalls around the area. Great water park in Sunriver. The Pacific Crest trail section around Crater Lake is pretty nice. Biking and hiking trails near Mt Bachelor are drying out, lots of bike rentals in Bend. There are several Brew Pubs in and around Bend.

Hot Springs:

[www.hotspringsenthusiast.com]
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 10, 2019 11:22AM
Wizard Island, in Crater Lake, is amazing. Get your ferry ticket, it's not to be missed.
Posted by: Bo
Date: June 10, 2019 11:52AM
A cast is limiting my typing so you'll have to do some googling on some of my suggestions. Was supposed to head through this area of Oregon/Washington/BC next week on an MTB trip but broke my hand riding locally here near SF

Klamath Falls is pretty bland and a little strange in my opinion. I'd highly recommend considering Ashland instead even if its just a night. It's a gem of a town with a great core downtown, restaurants, bars, and Lithia Park (beautiful). Lots of fun to just wander around town and see how many people are out enjoying it.

I've linked a crude map of my suggestion for this area. A number of ways you could do any of this. Of course all depends on how much time you have in this area. And googling will inform if these are the types of things you want to check out.

Crater Lake
Beautiful and obviously the focal point and presumably the reason you are going...info readily available. The lodge at south end of lake great to get some food/drink sit outside and take in the view.

National Creek Falls
Off the beaten path and well worth it! You'd likely be the only people there. A somewhat easy hike. A little less than a mile to the falls. Could rush it in 45mins but 90 would be better to enjoy it

Rogue River Gorge
Defintely worth at least a quick stop. Right off the side of the highway. A dramatic section of the river as it narrows. As quick as 15 minutes or as long as you want.

Ashland
Super cool. Plenty of info. Highly recommended

Medford
Not too interesting. Don't be tempted to stay here over Ashland...they are completely different

Optional leg on map could be done in 2-3 hours

Toketee Falls
Spectacular falls on the Umpqua River. Quite popular. lots of info. A mile at most on some cool trails, elevated structures and stairs in a deep canyon portion of the river.

Umpqua Hot Springs
Rustic hot springs about 1/4 mile hike. Fairly well maintained but definitely a hippie vibe. Pools are great to relax in. Bathing suits by day but seems to be clothing optional at night.

Travel tip:
Very few gas stations around the crater lake area. Make sure you're topped up as needed when leaving the populated areas. Fun fact: Oregon just legalized self service at gas stations. Most are still served by attendant that pump your gas for you.

Hopefully something might pique your interest here. Feel free to follow up if needed.

-Bo

Date: June 10, 2019 12:12PM
Here's a nice loop:

[oregonrideguide.com]
Posted by: numbered
Date: June 10, 2019 12:17PM
As usual, there are lots of great suggestions, but with 3.5 days you are going to have to choose.

Crater Lake itself is wonderful, but there is still snow up there. Some activities may be limited. (And it is not a very commercial park at national parks go. Few touristy places other than the lodge and visitor center on the caldera rim.) Some of the activities depend on where you are staying. I would drive down to Crater Lake and then work my way back, but lodging and restaurants are limited near the park.

Highway 97 down the spine of Oregon is a good two lane highway with lots of passing lanes. But since it is not freeway (and you have to slow down in the towns you pass) it is still a couple of hours driving from Bend to Crater Lake.

Definitely skip K Falls. Not worth the driving.

There are lots of water activities that have been mentioned, and that the boys would love, but they require some planning and lots of time (e.g., floating down parts of the Deschutes River.) There are also many lakes on the west side of 97, but it still may have some snow and they will be cold.

There is a touristy spot called the High Desert Museum just south of Bend near Sunriver. It is an outdoorsy museum, and features the local fauna. Not a typical MRF type place, but the boys might enjoy the stop.

There is lots of vulcanism south of Bend. In addition to what is mentioned, the Paulina Lakes east of the highway are interesting. At Paulina there is also a large (a few hundred meters by 50 meters high) cliff of pure obsidian, which is quite an amazing sight.
Date: June 10, 2019 12:59PM
[trainmountain.org]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 10, 2019 01:48PM
numbered

There is a touristy spot called the High Desert Museum just south of Bend near Sunriver. It is an outdoorsy museum, and features the local fauna. Not a typical MRF type place, but the boys might enjoy the stop.

Yes, forgot about that place, it's excellent for kids. My two boys loved it.
[www.highdesertmuseum.org]

Agree with what others have said about the driving distances. Personally I would stick to the greater Bend area if you only have a few days.
Date: June 10, 2019 03:35PM
Wow, this is great. Thanks everyone for the responses and some very detailed responses.

Looks like I have a lot to read up on and digest.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: June 10, 2019 05:33PM
Tokatee Falls is surprisingly cool. Also, recommend you spend more time around Bend area, lots of fun things and fabulous breweries. Also, can go hike Smith Rock which is awesome. Smith Rock closer to Redmond.
Date: June 12, 2019 03:36PM
Just spent more time going through all of your responses, clicking on links, looking at the map, etc.

Can't thank all of you enough for the help
Date: June 12, 2019 05:18PM
Not to try and sway you or anything, but here's a 360 I shot on Wizard Island.

[www.google.com]
Date: June 12, 2019 05:30PM
jonny
Not to try and sway you or anything, but here's a 360 I shot on Wizard Island.

[www.google.com]

Wow! What are all those black rocks on the ground?
Date: June 12, 2019 05:34PM
Well, the island is a volcanic cinder cone. All the rocks on the island are black and volcanic in origin. It's a trip.
Date: June 12, 2019 05:37PM
jonny
Well, the island is a volcanic cinder cone. All the rocks on the island are black and volcanic in origin. It's a trip.

That's awesome; we're definitely going to do Wizard Island
Date: June 12, 2019 05:58PM
pinkoos
jonny

That's awesome; we're definitely going to do Wizard Island
It's a good hike down and back. You'll also need to reserve ferry tickets. Enjoy!
Date: June 16, 2019 08:59AM
Looks like we're out of luck for Wizard Island - boat tours estimated to start July 11, but we'll be there much before then, unfortunately. I guess it has to do with the weather?

What will the weather in the general Bend, Sunriver, Crater Lake area be towards the end of June and early July?
Date: June 18, 2019 09:22PM
Still lots of snow at Crater Lake, the North entrance just opened on Saturday. Weather is generally sunny this time of year; two years ago Bend was above 100 around the fourth of July. Nights can get cold; possible frost tonight.
Date: June 19, 2019 09:55AM
The kids will definitely be psyched if there's still snow around when we get there; though I'm bummed that we won't be able to get to Wizard Island
Date: June 19, 2019 05:17PM
[www.americansouthwest.net]

[www.oregonhikers.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 05:21PM by btfc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 320
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018