advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Foreign Power adapters?
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: June 10, 2019 01:00PM
I'm heading to Hyderabad, India on a Mission Trip in a few weeks and I am getting conflicting information on what power adapters I need for a MBP and for an iPhone charger. You guys are a wealth of information so I thought I'd ask the group. Any help?

Thanks!

-M

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 01:01PM by Markiscool.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Foreign Power adapters?
Posted by: max
Date: June 10, 2019 01:32PM
Somebody else might have a different experience but here are my 2 cents.
In India I used two or three different adapters, one with a variation of British 3 round points, instead of flat prongs, being the most widely found,
[www.amazon.com]

for comparison the British model,
[www.amazon.com]?

the other one being the two round point Euro plug.
[www.dx.com]

My Euro two prong converter worked well enough on the Indian style sockets, and I do have a UK adapter I jury rigged in Hong Kong, so those two were sufficient....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2019 01:44PM
Stripped wire and a pair of dry wooden chopsticks were the default adapter in Baluchistan back in the day...
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 10, 2019 02:03PM
I have a feeling this guy (pinkoos) might know:
Posted by: raz
Date: June 10, 2019 03:11PM
For travel I have a little box with 3 usbA and 1usbC on one side and sliders for various countries on the other.

$15 or so at Amazon

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: June 10, 2019 07:33PM
[www.interpower.com]

As I'm sure you know, you only need a plug adapter nowadays. Your MBP power supply is smart enough to take care of the voltage. I charge my iPhone from my computer, so that I have less to carry. You can probably buy a Lightning charger with the proper local plug for $4 or less once you arrive.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: June 10, 2019 08:16PM
I have one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

This has been great on several trips to India & Europe. Your MBP charger can plug into that and it has 4 USB ports for charging. There are variants with a USB-C port as well.
Posted by: Winston
Date: June 11, 2019 09:49PM
India has two sizes of outlets, depending on the amperage available. Vague memory that the smaller handled 3 amps and the larger 15 amps. The lower amperage outlets have smaller pins spaced closer together. The power pins on the small are similar to Euro pins, but the pins on the larger are both larger and spaced further apart.

Many outlets in hotels are designed to handle either size plug. Here's a photo of a typical outlet from that trip:

The adapter Max linked to first was the main adapter we used in Mumbai, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur in 2017. It uses the larger pins with wider spacing.

Some outlets had a shutter that had to be pressed by the center (and longer) grounding plug before you could insert the two power prongs. You can get around this by pushing something like a cocktail stirrer into the grounding hole to allow you to use a two-prong Euro adapter on outlets which allow this size. You only need to press the shutter in while inserting the adapter. I remember ending up with a small collection of cocktail stirrers.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 09:52PM by Winston.
Date: June 11, 2019 09:55PM
bhaveshp
I have one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

This has been great on several trips to India & Europe. Your MBP charger can plug into that and it has 4 USB ports for charging. There are variants with a USB-C port as well.

That's an example of an adapter that if the jack had a shutter would require you to press the center hole in a jack (the ground plug) with a cocktail stirrer or other small tool before you could insert the two pins from the adapter.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: June 11, 2019 09:57PM
3d
I have a feeling this guy (pinkoos) might know:

Hey, not the photoshopped version! Didn't someone on the forum magically get rid of all the folk in the background? And maybe add a missing minaret?

Here was one of my takes:

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 10:02PM by Winston.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 324
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018