advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Paper or plastic? Definitely not plastic, thanks
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: June 10, 2019 08:28PM
This is a pretty clever way to get customers to use reusable shopping bags. Embarrass them

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Paper or plastic? Definitely not plastic, thanks
Posted by: DP
Date: June 11, 2019 06:14AM
It's not clever. It's PC police and it wouldn't "embarrass the ever-living s!!t" out of me. In fact, it's kind of funny-people might go there just to get the bags.

But then I'd go spend my money somewhere else. If the store wants to stop plastic bags, just don't carry them!

And have Vancouver ban them and be done with it.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 11, 2019 08:41AM
They do know that when items are in the bag the text and logos on the side get scrunched up and unreadable right?

It's not rocket science to go paper only like Trader Joes. Tack on a 50cent surcharge for EACH paper bag for good measure. OR purchase a new reusable bag for 99cents. OR scrounge around the freight area for a recycled cardboard box to carry your stuff like Costco allows. Even a monkey will eventually learn if banning plastic shopping bags is your thing.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2019 09:44AM
So, spend money supply plastic bags to discourage the use of plastic bags?

Wow, sounds like a great business model.

And yes, those are pretty cool bags. I'd love to bring them into Safeway and let the bagger use them.

Just get rid of plastic bags in the first place.

But, on the upside they are reusable many times over, and you're not killing a tree when requesting paper.

A store could sell quality, branded, reusable canvas bags and give a $1 discount to a purchase of enough items requiring a bag, each time the bag is presented. The bag would be a loyalty card.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 11, 2019 09:58AM
I go to Natural Grocers sometimes and they reuse cardboard boxes (which they get their inventory in) to take my purchases home.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 11, 2019 10:09AM
Nothing like a big wet slimy package of chicken parts in a paper bag. Same goes for lots of frozen food you have to carry for more than an hour.

And, of course the lengthy pleasure of washing out and drying your eco-canvas totes. Plus if you buy more than a couple of things, the handles come right off those Trader Joe paper sacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 10:11AM by Steve G..
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 11, 2019 10:10AM
Whenever I got a plastic bag from a store , I would always re-purpose it for something else.

I would use them as small trash bags, or maybe to carry my lunch or something else.

I'm not happy that you have to pay for them now.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 11, 2019 10:13AM
RAMd®d
A store could sell quality, branded, reusable canvas bags and give a $1 discount to a purchase of enough items requiring a bag, each time the bag is presented. The bag would be a loyalty card.

I don't think you're grasping how slim supermarket profit margins are....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 11, 2019 10:36AM
I actually prefer plastic. It can be recycled nearly infinitely. The problem is that the infrastructure for recycling isn't there, and the disposable mentality is omnipresent.

In order of importance it should be reduce/eliminate, re-use, recycle. If you don't produce the item in the first place you don't have to deal with its legacy. If you reuse it, you postpone dealing with its legacy. Recycling is the worst case scenario because it requires massive amounts of effort and energy to collect, consolidate, sort, clean, and reprocess. Paper in landfills doesn't decompose at all. You can pull 60 year old newspapers out of landfills that are still legible and haven't decomposed at all.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 11, 2019 10:53AM
freeradical
Whenever I got a plastic bag from a store , I would always re-purpose it for something else. I would use them as small trash bags, or maybe to carry my lunch or something else.

I'm a fan of repurposing used plastic shopping bags as well. Like you, I use them for daily kitchen garbage. If/when the plastic shopping bags are locally banned. I will purchase them. Luckily they are cheap. 1000 "t-shirt bags" are $15. So lets say you use 4-5 of them a week for kitchen garbage. A $15 case of bags will last you 5 years.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2019 11:00AM
I don't think you're grasping how slim supermarket profit margins are....

Given the discounts I get with my Safeway card, I think $1 is doable.

Mom and Pops would be a much different story I'm sure.

And it's a work in progress. There some different, simple guideline. I'm flexible.

Nothing like a big wet slimy package of chicken parts in a paper bag. Same goes for lots of frozen food you have to carry for more than an hour.

I helped Mom schlep groceries home from the market and I can't recall chicken or anything given us a problem. In those days bags didn't have handles. And if there were a ton of canned goods that and not enough bags to spread them around, there was the occasional double bag load.

These days if walking to and from the store isn't an option, I'll drive. Problems solved.

I actually prefer plastic. It can be recycled nearly infinitely. The problem is that the infrastructure for recycling isn't there, and the disposable mentality is omnipresent.

I request paper over plastic, 2:1. If I didn't say anything, Safeway just assumes plastic. When I'm done reusing them, Safeway has a big plastic bag recycling bin as you walk into the store. Paper is used for one-way trips to the garbage can.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 11, 2019 11:07AM
One day, landfills will be goldmines.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 11, 2019 11:11AM
rjmacs

Petroleum mines, anyway...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 11, 2019 11:35AM
rjmacs

That's exactly what this TED talk is about:

[www.ted.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: hal
Date: June 11, 2019 02:51PM
Why bags at all? I keep a wine box in my car that I got from Tjs (one day when I forgot my bags) and use it for groceries. A box is 100x better than ANY bag.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 11, 2019 03:54PM
"Your Cotton Tote is pretty much the worst replacement for a plastic bag."

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 11, 2019 09:28PM
In all this paper vs plastic vs totes, All I hear discussed is shopping bags. What about garbage bags?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 12, 2019 01:07AM
When I worked at Gemco back in the late 70's, people could drive around to a loading area and we clerks would put the groceries into their cars for them. Gemco felt like the people that spent their money at their store were their customers. I like this model.

The were so successful that the entire chain was shut down by its owner "Lucky Stores" as poison pill to stop a hostile takeover.
Date: June 12, 2019 03:26PM
hal
Why bags at all? I keep a wine box in my car that I got from Tjs (one day when I forgot my bags) and use it for groceries. A box is 100x better than ANY bag.

Do you have TJ's put your unbagged groceries back in your cart, then you load up the box at the car? Or do you bring the box into the store with you?

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 317
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018