advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
like sands through an hourglass?!....this literary sci-fi classic being spin-off to TV series....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 11, 2019 06:47AM
.....'Dune' spin-off.....it will be done in conjunction with the film reboot that is coming to theaters......

.....the TV series spin-off will focus on the Bene Gesserit, a mysterious order of women.....will air only on WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming service......

Dune Spinoff Earns Series Order at WarnerMedia's Streaming Service

.....The sci-fi cult classic Dune is getting a big-screen reboot next year… but now it’s coming to the small screen as well.

Dune: The Sisterhood, a female-led spinoff of the franchise, has landed a straight-to-series order from WarnerMedia’s upcoming streaming service, our sister site Variety is reporting. The spinoff will act as a companion series to the new Dune film and portray the events of the Frank Herbert novels through the eyes of the Bene Gesserit, a mysterious order of women. Director Denis Villaneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival), who is helming the feature film remake, will also direct the pilot of Dune: The Sisterhood and serve as an executive producer.

“The Bene Gesserit have always been fascinating to me,” Villeneuve said in a statement. “Focusing a series around that powerful order of women seemed not only relevant and inspiring, but a dynamic setting for the television series.”

WarnerMedia’s streaming service still doesn’t have a name or an official launch date yet, but it’s expected to debut early next year and include library hits like Friends and The Big Bang Theory. Its original programming will also include Love Life, a romantic comedy anthology starring Anna Kendrick, and an animated prequel to the hit Gremlins franchise.

like a desert's.......mystery..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 09:23AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: like the sands of time?!....this literary sci-fi classic being spin-off to TV series....
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 11, 2019 08:30AM
clickbait headline?
'Dune' spinoff at WarnerMedia-4 words

The Dune books stretched things a bit too far for my tastes. I hope they can rework the basic material into something new, more coherent and interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 10:02AM by Steve G..
'Dune' spinoff at WarnerMedia
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2019 09:20AM
I hope it's more like the book than the movie was.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: 'Dune' spinoff at WarnerMedia
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 11, 2019 10:09AM
RAMd®d
I hope it's more like the book than the movie was.

From the article: Director Denis Villaneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival), who is helming the feature film remake, will also direct the pilot of Dune: The Sisterhood and serve as an executive producer.

The David Lynch film from the 80s isn't a factor in either the currently being made film or this series.

same as it ever was | 109:8
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2019 10:21AM
The David Lynch film from the 80s isn't a factor in either the currently being made film or this series.

That gives me a new hope.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 11, 2019 01:48PM
RAMd®d

That was a gorgeous and stupid film.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 11, 2019 02:29PM
rjmacs
RAMd®d

That was a gorgeous and stupid film.

Agreed.

I watched it not long ago with my kids (all college age); everyone enjoyed it but recognized something just wasn't sitting quite right with it. There was a lot of talk about how it could have been better. Everyone (even those who didn't read it) recognized that it seemed really clipped to fit as a 2-hour film.

(I am anticipating that Denis Villaneuve will do a superb job with it, but I *still* think it would work better as a "Game of Thrones" style streaming series. The story is vast enough to easily be an 8 to 12 episode series.)

Call it a guilty pleasure if you want; I love watching Lynch's version from time to time. It makes for a good double-feature with Flash Gordon, so that should either answer some questions or raise new ones. smiling smiley

That said, I also enjoy listening to Toto's score as background while I'm working.

same as it ever was | 109:8
Re: like the sands of time?!....this literary sci-fi classic being spin-off to TV series....
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 11, 2019 03:14PM
I rewatched Lynch's Dune just a few weeks ago. Visually it was spectacular. Screenplay...well, I'm generally accepting of compromises between book and film; they are very different mediums. But there were some clunky and cringey moments to be sure. Though having read the book I was able to keep up even when things were wonky. But the one thing I absolutely hated was the "audible thoughts" device. Awful, and most of the time unnecessary, and even when sorta necessary, it could have been replaced by proper dialogue and more coherent plotting and, you know, acting. It's a movie, not a Shakespeare play..don't tell us, show us.

Anyhow, I also watched the ScyFy adaptation some years ago, too. Much better keeping to the book storyline, but visually quite bland.

A modern adaptation within the Dune universe, with today's richer visual resources available for television productions, and much tighter plotting typical of modern productions, could make a very entertaining series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 03:15PM by Acer.
Re: like sands through an hourglass?!....this literary sci-fi classic being spin-off to TV series....
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 12, 2019 11:31AM
I have both the Lynch and SciFy versions on VHS, both leave something to be desired. Loved the books. I've been hoping for good things from the new movie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 320
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018