Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The music apocalypse you didn't know about
Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 11, 2019 08:36AM
[www.nytimes.com]

Long (depressing) read about the Universal fire of 2008 that wiped out music history. Master recording tapes of these artists are now gone forever:

Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Al Jolson, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, Billie Holiday, Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five, Patsy Cline, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Willie Dixon, Bo Diddley, Etta James, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Little Walter, Count Basie, Coleman Hawkins, Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Sonny Rollins, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, Pharoah Sanders, Buddy Holly, Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Lionel Hampton, Ray Charles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Clara Ward, Sammy Davis Jr., Les Paul, Fats Domino, Big Mama Thornton, Burl Ives, the Weavers, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Bobby (Blue) Bland, B.B. King, Ike Turner, the Four Tops, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart, Cat Stevens, the Carpenters, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Don Henley, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Iggy Pop, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, George Strait, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Eric B. and Rakim, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Guns N’ Roses, Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The music apocalypse you didn't know about
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 11, 2019 08:45AM
insane story of utter mismanagement.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 11, 2019 08:58AM
Thank you for posting this.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 11, 2019 09:03AM
We have a repurposed mine near us where a number of big companies store their archives. Much safer than any decrepit warehouse.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 11, 2019 09:38AM
amazing. I only read parts of that article; was there ever an effort to digitize what was stored in that warehouse?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 11, 2019 09:39AM
That list of names represents at least a dozen independent labels way back when. What do they say about putting all your eggs in one basket?

It’s not a problem, they’ll still be able to market reissues forever and label them as “from the master tales” since technically that must be true, as safeties and later copies are also literally “from the master tapes”. Their digital copies are “from the master tapes.” So are your MP3s and AACs and subsequent streaming copies played through horrible earbuds and Bluetooth speakers. They’ve been selling digital reissues “from the master tapes” since at least the 80s.

Only an audiophile knows and cares the difference. For everyone else, you’ll always have your lossy copies and consider them “just as good” because the content holders capable of delivering the education really just can’t be bothered.

So quit yer whinin’.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 11, 2019 09:45AM
Mismanagement in the music industry?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 11, 2019 10:06AM
One of the promises of iTunes, that was fulfilled for me, was that a whole slew of back-catalog music saw the light of day again; mostly talking Blue Note and the late 40s/50s/early 60s jazz era. A lot of that music was OOP for decades (missing even the CD "let's release everything again" era). Kid in a candy store when Blue Note started putting music out digitally, and exponentially-so when I subscribed to Apple Music.

The loss mentioned herein isn't surprising; there's a history of mismanagement with archives of any medium. Not even going into the loss of countless pre-WW2 era films to poor storage and outright neglect, we've lost a lot of stuff b'c of bad management and poor judgement. Case in point; stories not long ago in the news about the BBC would routinely erase/reuse tape (why a lot of early Doctor Who disappeared for a while), and how NASA's moon landing tapes were all erased.

It happens, it will continue to happen, but at least in the digital era it's not as likely every copy of something will ever disappear.

Make it a good day today.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 11, 2019 01:03PM
I wish I didn't know about this
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 11, 2019 01:12PM
They may or may not keep multiple copies of masters going forward. The physical challenge remains, regardless of hard disk or LTO cartridge. And compared to analog tape, both are inferior archival formats in some key respects.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 11, 2019 01:30PM
That is just horrific. What a loss.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 301
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018