advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TV recording with Smart Assistant
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 11, 2019 02:11PM
The post about this afternoon's Women's World Cup game got me thinking. I'd like to watch some of it, but it's in the middle of the afternoon and I'm at work. I MIGHT go into the DIRECTV app and poke around and set a recording, but unless it's a MUST SEE game or event, it's almost not worth the trouble for something of mild interest.

Perhaps that's the epitome of a first world dilemma, but we obviously have the tech to say "Alexa (or Hey Siri), record the blankety-blank game today, but due to various standards, ecosystems and permissions, we aren't quite there. Not saying this can't be done somehow—but not by most of us and not smoothly.

Obviously, the window or desire to perfect this is limited due to streaming and alternative programming models. But why don't we have this yet? I can probably just watch this On Demand after the fact, but many of the DIRECTV and cable On Demand offerings are in the dark ages of usability and reliability—making me less likely to think to try them.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TV recording with Smart Assistant
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 11, 2019 05:10PM
[www.amazon.com]

We're already there, except this is for OTA only.

I wonder if Amazon or Google are looking into cable partnerships to put their tech into cable boxes. Probably not, since they probably think streaming is the future and Google has YouTube TV. I wonder if YouTube TV has voice controls?
Re: TV recording with Smart Assistant
Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 12, 2019 09:27AM
I've been able to record with voice commands with my Tivo Bolt VOX for the past few years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018