advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP CBS Television City
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 11, 2019 05:12PM
I've worked there, I've watched shows there and it's been an absolute icon. CBS sold it to developers. They'll still do shows there for about 5 years. More luxury condos and chic shops to come. Certain elements of the stages have landmark status so hopefully, productions will still be filmed there.

This awesome video is the intro for their 50'th anniversary show. The star power for this single network is just breathtaking. Heavy hitters.

[youtu.be]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP CBS Television City
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 11, 2019 05:18PM
Yeah, I’ve seen shows there too. It was one of those experiences that gave me a, ‘Wow! We really do live in Hollywood!’ feeling. big grin smiley
Date: June 11, 2019 05:23PM
Blankity Blank
Yeah, I’ve seen shows there too. It was one of those experiences that gave me a, ‘Wow! We really do live in Hollywood!’ feeling. big grin smiley

I was mad when they built "The Grove" next to the Farmers Market. I enjoyed it much more back then.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 11, 2019 06:25PM
Went to a test audience prescreening of a pilot for a sitcom there back in the 80s.

Didn’t like the proposed show, and my opinion was confirmed when the show was canceled after just one season.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 11, 2019 06:36PM
OMG!

However will they interrupt expensive broadcasts with roaming gangs of unruly game show audiences now?!

...In all seriousness: I worked there for a bit over a year. Loved wondering those corridors, spooking the guards, bumping into B and C-list celebrities. Feels like they're destroying a legacy.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 11, 2019 06:42PM
Wow. Been by there many times. Crazy world.
Date: June 11, 2019 07:05PM
Sarcany
OMG!

However will they interrupt expensive broadcasts with roaming gangs of unruly game show audiences now?!

...In all seriousness: I worked there for a bit over a year. Loved wondering those corridors, spooking the guards, bumping into B and C-list celebrities. Feels like they're destroying a legacy.

That's a lot of jobs. Always remember, everything they've made there was 100 percent free to the public.
Date: June 11, 2019 07:06PM
vision63
Sarcany
OMG!

That's a lot of jobs. Always remember, everything they've made there was 100 percent free to the public.

Umm... Two of the shows that I worked on were for cable TV.

Date: June 11, 2019 07:26PM
Sarcany
vision63
Sarcany
OMG!

Then it wasn't a CBS show unless it's the new Twilight Zone.
Date: June 11, 2019 07:32PM
vision63
Sarcany
vision63
Sarcany
OMG!

Many of the shows that shot there were not made to air on CBS.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 11, 2019 07:45PM
No kidding about the star power. What did they need to hold over Hitchcock's head to get him to walk onto that stage...

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: June 11, 2019 07:47PM
Sarcany
vision63
Sarcany
vision63
Sarcany
OMG!

Many of the shows that shot there were not made to air on CBS.

When i was there it was all CBS (I was a contractor in the 80's). Those are only shows we care about and the only company we care about. Pre Viacom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 07:48PM by vision63.
Date: June 11, 2019 07:54PM
vision63
When i was there it was all CBS (I was a contractor in the 80's). Those are only shows we care about and the only company we care about. Pre Viacom.

When I was there in the late 1990s, I worked on shows for CBS, ABC, HBO and Comedy Central.

Date: June 11, 2019 08:03PM
Sarcany
vision63

When I was there in the late 1990s, I worked on shows for CBS, ABC, HBO and Comedy Central.

Did you work on Mystery Science Theater 3000?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 11, 2019 09:17PM
When they were building The Grove, I knew CBS's property would relatively soon be a goner. When they built the Container Store and other stuff right up against the backside of CBS, it confirmed those feelings. It's sad to see a cultural icon fall due to developer greed. Unfortunately, pretty much all the open land around the greater LA area has fallen into the hands of greedy developers; very little has been used to provide affordable housing to keep the demographics even somewhat stabilized.
Wrong network, but thanks for the memories.
==
Date: June 12, 2019 12:39AM
vision63
Sarcany
vision63

Did you work on Mystery Science Theater 3000?

No.

Date: June 12, 2019 12:44AM
I would love to have one of those letters to slap on a wall, let alone the “eye”. They look to be about five or six feet high. Maybe 15-20 pounds? They’ll probably end up in storage somewhere.
Date: June 12, 2019 12:55AM
Blankity Blank
I would love to have one of those letters to slap on a wall, let alone the “eye”. They look to be about five or six feet high. Maybe 15-20 pounds? They’ll probably end up in storage somewhere.

Hopefully it'll end up at the Valley Relics Museum. It's a boss place.

[valleyrelicsmuseum.org]
Date: June 12, 2019 09:46AM
vision63
Blankity Blank

Hopefully it'll end up at the Valley Relics Museum. It's a boss place.

[valleyrelicsmuseum.org]

Oh yeah. eek2 smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2019 10:06AM
.....was this where Les Moonves ********.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: August West
Date: June 12, 2019 08:34PM
Wow, been so long since I've been in LA. Used to work around the corner on Third. Finishing shows at midnight and driving down to Pinks for a celebratory dog. Heh, I actually was young once. Had to take the future MIL to Price Is Right there at like 5 am when she visited!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: June 13, 2019 12:11AM
August West
Wow, been so long since I've been in LA. Used to work around the corner on Third. Finishing shows at midnight and driving down to Pinks for a celebratory dog. Heh, I actually was young once. Had to take the future MIL to Price Is Right there at like 5 am when she visited!

Those sounded like fun days. Third street has changed so much. I miss the old times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018