advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anemia - hemoglobin is up from 7.1 to 10.6 but still dog-tired
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 11, 2019 09:48PM
It's not iron or B12 or folate deficiency anemia. It's from a chemotherapy drug for Myeloproliferative Neoplasm with Essential Thrombocythemia. The drug drove it down to 7.1 and I had two units of red blood cells that brought it up to 9.1. I got off the drug and the red cells are growing and are up to 10.6. I thought I would feel lots better with it getting that much higher but I still am very tired. The low end of normal on the Complete Blood Count test I had today says the low end of normal is 14 something. So, I guess I have a ways to go, but I sure am discouraged.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anemia - hemoglobin is up from 7.1 to 10.6 but still dog-tired
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 11, 2019 10:12PM
Dennis S
... but I sure am discouraged.

I'm no doc but if 14 is the low end and it's on the rise, my Magic 8 Ball says you'll feel better once you get closer to that and beyond. I* guarantee it!

*Actually the Magic 8 Ball is the guarantor.
Posted by: Winston
Date: June 11, 2019 10:12PM
Glad you feel well enough to post. I'd say "don't be discouraged" but that's like saying "don't breathe". It's a tough road. Chemo is difficult. After all, it's designed to stop things from growing, including the things you want to have renewing themselves, like the red cell count. But it does sound like the trajectory is positive.

I can say, hang in there. I just spent a week with my mother in the hospital (me there almost 24/7) as she was dealing with an intestinal blockage. They finally did surgery (which they put off as she's 89), which solved it, and she's doing great. But each day was a challenge.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 11, 2019 10:22PM
Your Hgb is low but not that low. Even when it hits 14 or 15 your tail is going to be dragging until your general health improves. Note that the feds and Medicare have set a policy that they want a target of 10 for people on dialysis and for transplant recipients receiving Epogen because there is an elevated stroke risk with higher Hgb. People adapt. It is not unlike people who live their entire lives at elevations above two miles.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 12, 2019 06:29AM
You've got a pretty damn big support group right here! Hope that thought helps...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 12, 2019 10:46AM
Yeah man, chemo is gonna wipe you out. When I was going through treatment for my brain tumor (which is totally different than what you are doing) I tried to stay as active as possible, knowing there would be a point at which I couldn't do it all. Hang in there- it's gonna be OK. smiling smiley
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 12, 2019 02:31PM
RBC's carry the Oxygen. Body will compensate.

Keep up the fight.
Date: June 13, 2019 02:03PM
DP
You've got a pretty damn big support group right here! Hope that thought helps...

Yes it does. Very much.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: June 13, 2019 03:27PM
It really amazes me, how many of us the long time MRFers are experiencing so many serious health issues. Because of this I have been reluctant to post about my own dire situation.
I had been in the hospital for almost four months fighting two virulent infections with antibiotics.
at one point I was sent to a rehab facility and it was there that I, too experienced tremendous blood loss. I can relate to your feeling tired and drained of energy, Dennis, because after a few days in the rehab facility I started experiencing a feeling unlike anything I had ever felt before.
I demanded that the nurses get me a doctor to examine me, but they kept telling me that, as far as they could tell there was nothing wrong with me.
I finally picked up my cellphone and called 911 The nurses were shocked, but when I got to emergency I was almost immediately given a transfusion of THREE units of blood!
The next morning a doctor came in to see me and told me that it was a good thing I had called 911, because if I hadn't come in I would have died. It turned out that I had a bleeding ulcer, which seemed to have no really noticeable symptoms
My strength is slowly coming back and Denis, I hope that you, too will see improvement, even though it may be slow going for a while.
There's much more to my story, but I don't want to change the focus from your immediate needs of support from your friends here on the forum.
One thing I know is that the encouragement from your friends here comes with unlimited sincerity.
Feel better soon, Dennis!
Your friend,
GeneL

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: June 13, 2019 04:07PM
Thanks, Gene. I appreciate the response. My transfusion wasn't as dire as yours, but they insisted on doing it right then. My mom was having a heart procedure the next day so I drove to see her and came back the next morning for the transfusion. I had been at a state park for about a week and, like you said, never felt like that. When they were pumping the red blood cells in me, it felt so good as some of my energy came back through the day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018