advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Fifth grade students stranded by American Airlines on class trip get rescued by Delta "
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 11, 2019 11:25PM
"Forty-one fifth grade students and their adult chaperones on a class trip to Washington, D.C. were left stranded at Oklahoma City's Will Rogers World Airport after their American Airlines flight was canceled. Thanks to Delta Air Lines gate agents, however, they were able to travel to the country's capital.

The group was set to travel from Tulsa to Richmond, Virginia, when American Airlines announced their flight was canceled. After being told there were no alternative flights available, KOCO News reports, the entire party received full refunds on their tickets.

The students remained at the airport for six and a half hours, with no promise that they would be able to make their long-awaited trip. However, Delta gate agents eventually intervened.

Two agents reached out to the airline's headquarters in Atlanta and were able to acquire a spare plane. The plane was flown to Oklahoma City just for the students."

[news.yahoo.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Fifth grade students stranded by American Airlines on class trip get rescued by Delta "
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 12, 2019 07:44AM
That is a smart PR move that will likely be faulted by the beancounters

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Re: "Fifth grade students stranded by American Airlines on class trip get rescued by Delta "
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 12, 2019 08:15AM
Ombligo

I'm just amazed that they were able to pull it off at all. I read some other articles with more details.

1) The AA flight was cancelled due to weather, they had cancelled 300 flights that day.

2) Delta doesn't fly the route from Oklahoma City to Richmond VA, so this was more like a chartered flight. I wonder what sort of logistics were needed to pull that off quickly, getting a plane, crew, flight plan, gates, etc. And getting weather to cooperate.

[www.usatoday.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 12, 2019 08:20AM
We took charter busses.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 12, 2019 09:20AM
Not my experience with Delta when in Milan, Italy many years ago and they cancelled our flight. About 300 people were pretty much left to fend for themselves to find another way home, during the busiest travel week of the summer.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 12, 2019 10:38AM
GGD
Ombligo

I'm just amazed that they were able to pull it off at all. I read some other articles with more details.

1) The AA flight was cancelled due to weather, they had cancelled 300 flights that day.

2) Delta doesn't fly the route from Oklahoma City to Richmond VA, so this was more like a chartered flight. I wonder what sort of logistics were needed to pull that off quickly, getting a plane, crew, flight plan, gates, etc. And getting weather to cooperate.

[www.usatoday.com]

If Delta doesn't fly that route, do they fly into Richmond at all? If not, that is a HUGE logistical challenge!
Getting permission from that airport, and a gate assignment is non-trivial.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 12, 2019 12:18PM
Not specific to this incident, necessarily, but a fascinating little mini series could be made about those moments when someone turns away from ‘It can’t be done’ to ‘Let’s get it done’. That moment where resolve trumps inertia.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: June 12, 2019 02:09PM
Paul F.
GGD
Ombligo

[www.usatoday.com]

If Delta doesn't fly that route, do they fly into Richmond at all? If not, that is a HUGE logistical challenge!
Getting permission from that airport, and a gate assignment is non-trivial.

Richmond is in the South, so Delta flies there. It's not that Delta doesn't fly OKC to Richmond, it's just that almost every Delta flight to Southern destinations is routed through Atlanta. This fact becomes exasperatingly clear when bad weather in Atlanta causes nationwide hiccups for Delta traffic.

My wife was scheduled to visit my daughter in Hartford Saturday, but all Gainesville, FL Delta flights were cancelled until Monday even though the Gainesville weather was clear. There were storms in Atlanta. We ended up driving to Jacksonville for a Sunday morning flight to Atlanta. Turns out JAX Sunday weather was clear but Gainesville was not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 02:10PM by Billybob.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 12, 2019 04:23PM
Billybob
Turns out JAX Sunday weather was clear but Gainesville was not.

To those that don't know, the two airports are about 75 miles apart.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: raz
Date: June 13, 2019 05:33AM
Delta abandoned my daughter at JFK this Monday for about 18 hours. They kept pushing back her connecting flight until 1am. Then they ran out of flight attendants (union rules).

“Sorry. Weather. Act of god. See you in the morning. Buh bye”

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 13, 2019 09:38AM
raz
Delta abandoned my daughter at JFK this Monday for about 18 hours. They kept pushing back her connecting flight until 1am. Then they ran out of flight attendants (union rules professional contract).

“Sorry. Weather. Act of god. See you in the morning. Buh bye”

It's just a contract, not "union rules." When a company agrees to work conditions for its employees, it makes a commitment to those people. One of those commitments is to maintain fair work conditions in all circumstances, and sometimes that commitment is inconvenient for the corporation that made it.

Don't blame unions or their rules for employment decisions that corporations have made, and don't blame a legal contract for the misfortunes caused by an airline not supplying sufficient staff to accommodate emergencies.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018