advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$10,000 later, an Apple Store Genius diagnoses a $0 MacBook Pro problem
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 12, 2019 06:03AM
What appeared to be a major MacBook Pro problem resulting in $10,000’s worth of warranty work finally turned out to be a ridiculously simple fix taking seconds and costing nothing at all …

[9to5mac.com]

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $10,000 later, an Apple Store Genius diagnoses a $0 MacBook Pro problem
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 12, 2019 06:55AM
Wow. How preposterous that it doesn't adjust automatically on reboot until AFTER you've attempted a login.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 12, 2019 07:36AM
rjmacs
Wow. How preposterous that it doesn't adjust automatically on reboot until AFTER you've attempted a login.

That was my same thought.

Grateful11
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 12, 2019 07:42AM
So who is the bigger fool?

the owner who turns down the display and never thinks to turn it up, or the genius who doesn't try the brightness button?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: decay
Date: June 12, 2019 08:24AM
Apple has done some stupid stuff - removing the boot chime among them.

I read the article yesterday. Did they ask if the user had a firmware password on it? Because NVRAM reset/SMC reset are very early in the troubleshooting steps.

---
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 12, 2019 08:32AM
Yeah. We would do the flashlight trick all the time whenever trying to diagnose a dead computer or a dead screen. Guess that one isn't in the manual.
Date: June 12, 2019 09:13AM
mikebw
Yeah. We would do the flashlight trick all the time whenever trying to diagnose a dead computer or a dead screen. Guess that one isn't in the manual.

I recall that being in the troubleshooting steps, at least in previous models.

---
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 12, 2019 09:23AM
Had this happen once, minus the $10K repairs. And the sound had been muted. Thought it wouldn’t boot up; saw nothing, heard nothing not even startup chime.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 12, 2019 10:03AM
Apple fault for not programming the firmware to allow the screen brightness to be automatically raised on start-up if it was set to 0.

I have an old PowerBook 520C that's had a dead PRAM battery for a long time. Default screen brightness and contrast is 0 with a dead battery. However there are brightness and contrast buttons next to the LCD screen.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 12, 2019 10:29AM
Wow, add another triple facepalm to Apple T2 chip issues. PRAM reset won't work on the new models?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 12, 2019 12:18PM
Ombligo
So who is the bigger fool?

the owner who turns down the display and never thinks to turn it up, or the genius who doesn't try the brightness button?

The real problem, apparently, is that with the TouchBar Macs, there is NO brightness button to try until after you've logged in. I've done this to myself as well, but I've always had a physical brightness button to adjust prior to logging in. So if I had done this to myself on a TouchBar Mac, I might have figured it out myself.

But it seems like there are lots of ways Apple could have solved this prior to it ever being a problem, had they simply thought of this scenario.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 12, 2019 12:49PM
I’m surprised the game wasn’t afoot once the guy told them (I’m assuming he told them) that he had turned the brightness all the way off. Once I found that out, I wouldn’t have gone much further until I’d found some way to check the brightness setting.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 12, 2019 01:22PM
mikebw
mswerd smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 12, 2019 02:36PM
The more things change, the more things stay the same....
Bought a top end G4 QS Duallie (w/ AppleCare) that worked great for a couple of weeks, then started having problems. Took it back to the shop a couple of times, where they replaced a bunch of stuff, only to no avail. In 2003 my neuro crud worsened, and I could no longer schlepp the tower, so AppleCare eventually arranged a couple of house calls, again to no avail. Eventually bought a MDD Duallie since QS never really made it into usable service. Finally got some help to schlepp the QS back to the shop where it spent more time. Etc., etc., etc..

Apple releases G5 towers, and has announced expensive high end G5 tower that hasn't quite shipped yet. With all the confirmed time QS has been out of service pending repair, AppleCare is extended a commensurate amount of time. Apple's policy of replacing like bought for current available like, causes AppleCare a conundrum. Their policy meant I oughta get that top end G5, but I told them I'd be happy as pig in slop with another MDD. They couldn't do it, and they they didn't want to go the G5 route, so they completely rebuilt the QS with the exceptions of the case, power supply, my RAM and hard drive, and the warranty pricing was more than a MDD, and a mid level G5, and pretty close to the high end G5 that they didn't want to throw in. The overall warranty repair costs were close to $10K.

After the "final" rebuild, I talked them into a 1 year warranty (instead of 90 days), and of course then it was totally rock solid, and probably the best G4 I ever had. Evidently not a simple repair; no clue what the culprit in the original incarnation was, but AppleCare was willing throw an incredible amount of resources to resolve a problem that could/should have been solved much faster/cheaper a decade and half ago, so it seems as though not much has changed.... except now we have iPhones and iPads.
==
Date: June 12, 2019 02:49PM
The T2 chip is a headache for sure.

You must boot into recovery mode - then allow booting from external.

Removing things like the chime and auto-brightness doesn't help with troubleshooting - I suppose Apple thinks their computers never have trouble confused smiley

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 333
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018