The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When all is said and done, I actually prefer my desktop Mac
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: June 12, 2019 10:13AM
Poll
What Apple "computer" do you prefer?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
66 votes were received.
Mac desktop 44

67%
iPhone 0

0%
iPad 1

2%
Mac Notebook 21

31%

The iPhone of course is a wonder. Its a computer smaller than a Tri Corder from Star Trek. It allows me to read the news at work, plus its a camera and phone.

But, I would rather sit at me desk, using my Mac Mini, viewing the world through my 2 monitor setup. Also, there is something to be said for a full size keyboard. Plus, I prefer the Mac OS to iOS for work.

My long in the tooth MacBook Pro still functions and is enough for my mobile needs, but then again, I've never like the keyboard. Seems "small" to me.

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When all is said and done, I actually prefer my desktop Mac
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2019 10:43AM
Keyboard and touchpad. Any time I’m working fast I need a faster interface.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 12, 2019 10:56AM
A laptop or notebook can be thought of or used as a desktop.

Just add an external monitor or two.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 12, 2019 10:56AM
I replaced my 2002 G4 Dualie, which was a very fine machine, in 2008 with a new 15" MBP and never looked back. Still happy after replacing it with a few others.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2019 10:58AM
.....most prefer to be tops........most of the time....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mspace
Date: June 12, 2019 11:03AM
freeradical

This.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 12, 2019 11:41AM
Where's the "I'm M A V I C" option? ;)

For me, it depends. For work, my laptop. I'm in a lot of meetings and need something to haul around. But at home, I like my Mac tower. It has all the drives, plenty of RAM for my wife and I to share a machine, it stays up for weeks at a time... does everything very well.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 12, 2019 11:49AM
I converted a client from a desktop to a laptop with a dock... using a Wallstreet 266. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 12, 2019 11:50AM
mspace
freeradical

This.

I agree, and given one choice, this is what I'd go with. But using it "as a desktop" means you prefer the desktop experience…as I do. Yes, I like being able to take my MBP with me anywhere, but I'm most comfortable and productive when it's "docked" in my office connected to external drives and peripherals.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 12, 2019 12:45PM
I like and use my iMacs the most, but I have to admit that I am using the iPad Pro and iPhone more and more as time passes.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 12, 2019 12:57PM
LOVE my new 2017 iMac.

That said, I have to give props to the iPhone. For years I was able to get as much done on it as a friend could on their laptop. Not to say that it let me do as much as I can do on an actual Mac, but what I can get done is still impressive.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 12, 2019 01:33PM
Hi everyone,

It depends. For general computing and production, no question that I prefer a laptop with an external display and keyboard. I'd get a desktop except that, due to design, they're more and more like laptops these days. If I'm going to have to hang stuff off the machine, I may as well get the laptop and use it with an external keyboard and display and a dock and be done with it. That way, it's a laptop or desktop at my convenience. And, it's _much_ easier to bring to the Apple store in the event it needs diagnosis and/or repair.

For media consumption, I'm finding my iPad more useful than my laptop. Want to read a book? Break out my iPad Mini. Want to lay in bed or lounge on my recliner and read or watch a movie? iPad. Want to read the newspaper and browse the web and such at the kitchen table? Usually my iPad. Want to do any of that stuff while out and about shopping and such? iPad.

Robert
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: June 12, 2019 01:45PM
I didn't cast my vote above because it largely depends on what I'm doing.
I spend most of my time surfing, checking mail, social media, etc. at our kitchen table, having coffee or lunch, conversing with family.
If I need to pay bills and do anything more than what's listed above, I'd much prefer my desktop.
For watching a show before bed or following recipes, I rely on my iPad.
My iPhone is nearly constantly with me, especially on the carport, near the pool.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 12, 2019 01:47PM
I prefer my 2010 27” iMac but I still end up using my 2015 13” MacBook Air much more.

Grateful11
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 12, 2019 02:24PM
Sadly, the "late" 2009 (as in deceased) can't easily be replaced with something newer. Used a Mac mini for awhile, but it's somewhat limited (really less dynamic than a MacBookPro). So while the preference here is for a desktop, it'll likely be a MacBookPro - hooked up to a plethora of peripherals - until such time as Apple deems us serfs as worthy of a dynamic desktop box. iMac? No thanks.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 12, 2019 03:01PM
I'm really trying to adapt my mind to a new MacBookPro instead of a trash can but I really prefer how a desktop fits into my space:

And over the last few days there has been an evil voice nagging me nonstop, in the back of my mind, to give in to the dark, financial, side and buy the got dam new MP in the fall.smiley-sw018

JoeM
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 12, 2019 03:19PM
Joe,

Where to put a Mac Mini or three? Oh, where to put them...

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 12, 2019 03:59PM
My Early 2011 MBP is more than adequate for most general computing tasks, but it no longer has the ability to run modern games due to its ancient GPU -- thus the need for my iMac.

It is what it is.
Date: June 12, 2019 04:30PM
Robert M
Joe,

Where to put a Mac Mini or three? Oh, where to put them...

Robert

Robert, I actually am quite uncomfortable in there whenever I need to use my PC laptop for outside work. I’m formulating a plan. I’m going to tell my wife I could knock out a wall and expand for more space or go with the cheaper option... buy the new MP in the fall!smiley-laughing001

JoeM
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 12, 2019 07:34PM
freeradical

Pretty much this for me - currently using a Mid-2012 MBP with external Monitor/mouse/keyboard - it's a defacto desktop.
Date: June 12, 2019 09:11PM
JoeM
And over the last few days there has been an evil voice nagging me nonstop, in the back of my mind, to give in to the dark, financial, side and buy the got dam new MP in the fall.smiley-sw018

Those tiny monitors would drive me crazy.

----

Date: June 12, 2019 10:43PM
jdc
JoeM

Those tiny monitors would drive me crazy.

They are older Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP monitors but they still work and look great. It would be hard for me to put bigger monitors on my desk without effecting my speaker imaging in that small room. What are you using? 27” iMac and what size second monitor?

JoeM
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 13, 2019 09:19AM
I love those older Dell monitors, they look very natural to me in terms of color.

I'm now back to a desktop instead of a small PC laptop, and I'm definitely using the iMac differently than the laptop.
Date: June 14, 2019 04:41PM
JoeM
They are older Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP monitors but they still work and look great. It would be hard for me to put bigger monitors on my desk without effecting my speaker imaging in that small room. What are you using? 27” iMac and what size second monitor?

I had some 2408s (and 2405s) as well. They are 22" wide and 1920 x 1080. Chunky. =)

27" Dells are 24" wide (tiny bezels) and 2560 x 1440. Just the addtional pixels alone would be huge.

I have space, so running 3 screens. 24" left, 27" iMac center, 27" dell right. 7000 pixels of width. =)

If you could run 4K, id say trade up to a set of 25" Dell 4K, same 22" width as the 2408.. They would look great with a new mini.

----

Date: June 18, 2019 12:20PM
jdc
JoeM

I had some 2408s (and 2405s) as well. They are 22" wide and 1920 x 1080. Chunky. =)

27" Dells are 24" wide (tiny bezels) and 2560 x 1440. Just the addtional pixels alone would be huge.

I have space, so running 3 screens. 24" left, 27" iMac center, 27" dell right. 7000 pixels of width. =)

If you could run 4K, id say trade up to a set of 25" Dell 4K, same 22" width as the 2408.. They would look great with a new mini.

I’m starting to think of grabbing a trash can again, as prices keep dropping, just to get by for a few more years as things shake out in the audio world. Trading up as you suggest seems like a good idea, if I do go that route, thanks.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018