advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Permission to toot your own horn granted. How would you rate yourself as a computer users and/or technology user?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 12, 2019 01:18PM
Poll
How would you describe your use of computers and technology?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
63 votes were received.
Just call me “Mr. Robot”. Bits and bytes are my playthings. 12

19%
“Prosumer” or journeyman geek. I can make my computer sit up and speak doing what I do, but I won’t be stealing NORAD’s secrets anytime soon. 25

40%
I have a particular set of skills that make me ‘the computer guy’ to friends and family. 18

29%
Technology and computers are tools to me, not a hobby. I can make what I have do what I need it to, but we’re friends, not lovers. 5

8%
I can not embarrass myself, but I have a friend with a particular set of skills on speed dial. 2

3%
@macresourceforums How do I make my VCR stop blinking “12:00”? #isthishowyoufacebook 1

1%

Don’t be shy, let your geek flag fly.

Poll included to just to take the general temperature of the room, but feel free to post your own customized response.

Edit
Call me a “soy boy” or whatever, but my apologies to the ladies. I can’t edit the poll now the votings started, but it should read “Mr./Ms. Robot” and “Computer Guy/Gal”. Journeyman as a generic? Journeyperson feels clunky.

Anyway, shout out to Grits. One of the most bad mother all around geeks I’ve had the pleasure to know, a good friend and the gal I owe for getting my started in the wonderful world of kittahs. I’ll always remember that wild and crazy night ‘visiting’ other branches to ‘borrow’ parts from their color copiers so you could fix ours and finish that job. You had the skills, I had the devious bent and together we prevailed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 01:55PM by Blankity Blank.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Permission to toot your own horn granted. How would you rate yourself as a computer users and/or technology user?
Date: June 12, 2019 01:28PM
For myself, I’d go with prosumer. I can get my geek on, I’ve been to a shady bar or two and have a good idea how to find the rest, and what I don’t know I can school myself on well enough to get it done if I really need to, for both computers and technology in general.

I’ve been involuntarily on the tech bench for awhile, but I’m getting geared up again now and will hopefully be back up to speed sooner rather than later.

I’d love to be Mr. Robot, but I don’t think I really have the gimlet eyed single mindedness to reach the high branches on that tree.
Re: Permission to toot your own horn granted. How would you rate yourself as a computer users and/or technology user?
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: June 12, 2019 01:30PM
Meh.

I do less and less and enjoy life more and more.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 12, 2019 01:30PM
Probably prosumer, but fortunately, I don’t get many requests for help. My brother sometimes asks, but he has a Windows box, and I can’t help him with that.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 12, 2019 01:36PM
Blankity,

Combination of the "Prosumer" and "friends and family computer" guy options. I guess that makes me a "Prosumer friends and family computer guy".

Robert
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: June 12, 2019 01:40PM
I didn't vote but...somewhere between "prosumer" and "computer gal" and falling behind. I'm not as on top of it as I used to be.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 12, 2019 01:55PM
Up til about 12 - 15 years ago I was pretty well tapped into the techno-pipeline. Since then, my skills have eroded at about 3% - 5% per year, but now I can't do the math, so you figure it out.
==
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 12, 2019 02:00PM
I was definitely better at this stuff back in the dark days of OS 9 etc.

But then you had to be because even Macs had problems that required troubleshooting. Sometimes even on a daily basis.

Hello Conflict Catcher!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 12, 2019 02:01PM
I work in IT, so naturally:

vcr
Posted by: hal
Date: June 12, 2019 02:01PM
I still consider myself an apple master, but at the prosumer level. There are plenty of bits that I don't get, but can usually find the answer.

However, I'm just about avg when it comes to iOS and that worries me.
Date: June 12, 2019 02:29PM
hal
I still consider myself an apple master, but at the prosumer level. There are plenty of bits that I don't get, but can usually find the answer.

However, I'm just about avg when it comes to iOS and that worries me.

I suspect freeradical has a point. OS9 me probably would have been jail breaking iOS and who knows what other kind of shenanigans. Now, well, nope. Old? Mature? Too busy with life?

Conflict Catcher. Wow.

I didn’t need no stinking ConflictCatcher. Half on, restart. Other half on, restart. Ah, there you are. Half of those, restart. Other half, restart. Be vewy, vewy quiet. I’m hunting confwicts, hahahaha...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 12, 2019 02:44PM
Blankity Blank

Edit
Call me a “soy boy” or whatever, but my apologies to the ladies. I can’t edit the poll now the votings started, but it should read “Mr./Ms. Robot” and “Computer Guy/Gal”. Journeyman as a generic? Journeyperson feels clunky.

"Certified [or qualified] tradesperson" works for me, but to each their own.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 02:44PM by rjmacs.
Date: June 12, 2019 02:57PM
rjmacs
Blankity Blank

Edit

"Certified [or qualified] tradesperson" works for me, but to each their own.
Aw, but I do so love my old timey words. But then, I guess the old timey is the problem in this case. Dang. smiley12
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: June 12, 2019 03:00PM
What Robert said. What I don't know or can't figure out, I come here for the answers...

Robert M
Blankity,

Combination of the "Prosumer" and "friends and family computer" guy options. I guess that makes me a "Prosumer friends and family computer guy".

Robert

Steve
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 12, 2019 03:04PM
The *need* has nearly disappeared.

of course, having never owned or used a PC/windows I cant speak to it.

But for me at least 10 years OS X has been 98% trouble free.

I did own a design studio for some time, with handful of PowerMacs (and powercomputing), then G4s and G5s and iMacs -- I did all the purchasing, networking, hardware management, etc. Rarely an issue.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 12, 2019 03:07PM
Being able to use google and follow through on the solution seems to be sufficient to amaze and confound most non-techie people I encounter.
Date: June 12, 2019 03:15PM
Acer
Being able to use google and follow through on the solution seems to be sufficient to amaze and confound most non-techie people I encounter.

‘Any sufficiently advanced YouTube video is indistinguishable from magic.’
The Computer Guy’s/Gal’s First Law
Posted by: decay
Date: June 12, 2019 03:15PM
mid-level tech
Apple certified
been using Mac since 1984

---
Posted by: hal
Date: June 12, 2019 03:44PM
decay
mid-level tech
Apple certified

Certainly NOT you Decay, but I hate this line. I've known SO MANY mac know-it-all IDIOTS that start with, "I've been using macs since 1984" - implying that what they say is more correct/valuable than what anyone else says.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2019 03:47PM
Used to be pro alpha geek in the 70’s. Home built computers, assembler coding, have both first years of Byte magazine somewhere. Did mil-spec work in the 80’s even coded in Ada (a weird language). Then... got out of it. Then brain injury and I forgot everything. So of course I work in IT where I just google that stuff like a wild monkey.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 12, 2019 04:23PM
I have a particular set of skills that make me ‘the computer guy’ to friends and family.

Coworkers would bear with me calling shortcuts aliases and love the butterfly to option conversion that almost always worked. I would tell people at work that I was Bernie Mac not Bernie PC and they needed to see so and so about their Home computer.

My job required me going online with a PeeCee to troubleshoot machines. Ladder logic and PLCs were a daily thing. Towards the end I didn't even need a cable to hook up. I would log in to the fire wall that separated the plant from the IT and the address was in the program and boom I was online across the plant searching a machine for why it would not start. More importantly I could walk up and down the line with the lap top flagging eyes and such. No cord keeping me here and sending someone else to check that.

Some things required special cables. Almost everything required their proprietary software. Some machines still run DOS and I would have to boot my laptop up from a special USB stick.

I would struggle with USB ports reassigning them selves.

I used a flashlight to check monitors to see if it was just the back light or was it truly dead.

Maybe I am pretty techie.

smiley-laughing001

Staunton, Virginia
Date: June 12, 2019 04:33PM
cbelt3
So of course I work in IT where I just google that stuff like a wild monkey.
Maybe we should start an archive of sign worthy quotes. big grin smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 04:33PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: June 12, 2019 07:21PM
I have just enough knowledge/skill to have confidence to click on the 'Yes' or 'Confirm' button. I'll think twice before I do however...

D & C
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 12, 2019 07:51PM
I would have moved myself up one notch in the poll back in OS9 days.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 12, 2019 09:07PM
hal
decay
mid-level tech
Apple certified

Certainly NOT you Decay, but I hate this line. I've known SO MANY mac know-it-all IDIOTS that start with, "I've been using macs since 1984" - implying that what they say is more correct/valuable than what anyone else says.

I got to put two of the original five prototype Lisa's through their paces. The first was at the mothership when I went to visit Li'l Bro on a day when most of the troops were at an offsite event. The little SOB "couldn't" pick me up at the SJC airport; so imagine my surprise when the cab pulls into the empty AAPL parking lot, then it turns out the other handful of peeps in his service group, that also weren't part of the offsite gig, were playing hooky. It was basically Li'l Bro, some support and security staff, and me, hanging out at HQ. Bro stuck me in the super secure prototype room with instructions to try not to break anything, but have fun...

Prototype Lisa #2 was on tour, and I went to an invite only demo at "Computer Showcase", on Pico Blvd in LA, and pretty much ended up running the demo because I had more experience than the real APPL peeps running the Lisa advance tour. My cumulative tech skills probably peaked in the early/mid 00's, and have rapidly deteriorated ever since. You have to keep up w/ all that stuff, or you're cooked; tech keeps moving forward. 2003's expert is 2019's Luddite. And I've been using Mac's since 1982, before Mac's were even introduced in 1984.
:-)
==
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 12, 2019 11:10PM
How far do I go back? Not as far as some--Duo 270c was my first Mac. I'd been a Windows guy before that and an IBM DOS guy before that.

What I find interesting is that my 20 year old kid and his friends are pretty inept at fixing computer stuff.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 13, 2019 02:36AM
I’ve personally made computer chips and programmed in machine language. I’ve built custom computers from individual chips, and I’ve assembled novel digital camera systems.

And I know how Terminal works.

But I’m nowadays just a user of modern tech.

What amazes me is the level of ignorance of most on how these tools work.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 13, 2019 07:54AM
A MaximumPC quiz about 10 years ago put me in the equivalent of the Prosumer grouping. The test seemed fairly accurate in its description of that level; they described someone who, at the time of taking the quiz, had his/her feet resting on his/her full-sized home-brew PC. This was, in fact, the case, much to my amusement.

That said, there is very much room for improvement in all areas, particularly regarding networking and coding. My 1980's/early 1990's programming in MS QuickBasic on an SE/30 is not at all relevant today.
Date: June 13, 2019 08:49AM
sekker
What amazes me is the level of ignorance of most on how these tools work.

My guess would be that some of us cut our teeth on this technology as computers/tools/innovations that we explored and shaped as much as they shaped us. Now, people will have this tech cradle to grave. It’s an appliance to them; you don’t learn to hack your refrigerator. They probably have their share poking around under the hood, just like past users included enclaves of phone phreaks and home brewers.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 13, 2019 09:16AM
hal
decay
mid-level tech
Apple certified

No offense taken.

I didn't become a professional Apple tech / troubleshooter until 2000 or so. Long-time user (never owned an Apple computer myself until the mid 90s), more recently IT support.

Personally, I don't see "using Mac since 1984" as anything other than historical reference. Some might use it as a bragging point or hint at being an expert. Me, more like "I've seen a few things." grinning smiley

---
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 13, 2019 09:49AM
In the early 90's I convinced my Mom we needed to get a home computer. She said do the research and figure out what to get. I spent several months reading up on MacWeek, MacWorld and MacUser, and eventually decided that we needed to get a PowerMac 6100/60. That was the foundation of my knowledge, which I continued to grow through reading the same publications.

Finally got online in 1996. In 97/98 there was an Apple sponsored tech-training program for kids at my school which I completed. Following that I was offered an internship with a local Mac sales & service provider "macUpgrades". I worked there until roughly 2004 which was the peak of my expertise. I did in-store hardware and software diagnostics and repairs, sales, on-site service and also web design for the store. Never took the test to become an official certified tech, but I had completed all their training and knew pretty much everything about all things Apple from the prior decade.

Career change took me away from the hardware and software until 2009, when I got back into it to a smaller extent. Today I am still "the Mac expert" for my Mom, which mostly means if she has an issue I Google it and then fix it for her. At my work we have contracted out support for our Macs, but I won't reach out unless it's something really bizarre.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 13, 2019 02:57PM
I first started using a Mac in 1986 but didn’t get techie with the hardware until about 1989-1990. After that, I ended up being the one to do all the upgrades because our IT guy did not want to know anything about Macs. I got my own Mac in late 1991 and that was when my geek tendencies began to develop (or get out of control).

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018