Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When to Replace a NAS?
Posted by: IronMac
Date: June 14, 2019 06:10PM
Hi all,

Just looking at my Synology DS212 and wondering if I should replace it? Got it in 2013 if that matters any. It runs fine, never been fast. I was thinking of replacing all its drives but now considering whether or not to do it all?

Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When to Replace a NAS?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 14, 2019 06:37PM
Replace the drives every 4-5 years.

Replace the NAS if it's obsolete (10/100 instead of Gigabit), can't use large-capacity drives, slow (can't take SSDs), difficult to manage, or crash-prone.

Posted by: jdc
Date: June 14, 2019 06:54PM
Id say it might also depend on its use.

I think it would be cool to maybe replace drives every few years, but at least for my experience -- a new drive doesnt equal a more reliable drive.

The only drives I have go bad (at least in recent memory) were brand new drives with less than 3 months under their belt.

As long as you have backup... meh -- use them until they die?

Although Im using a 2 drive RAID 0 + single drive backup now -- Im budgeting to replace both with a single RAID 5 setup. Only 1 box rather than 2. My storage needs are modest, I have just over 3 TB of stuff, and it took years and years to get there. And 90% of it is outdated, or will never be accessed again. so could even trim further.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 14, 2019 08:21PM
Replace it when it doesn't or can't do the job you need it to do.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 14, 2019 08:59PM
Get a new Synology and use the old on to backup the new one.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 14, 2019 10:19PM
macphanatic
Get a new Synology and use the old on to backup the new one.

I like it.

---
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 15, 2019 06:37AM
Earlier this year I retired a Power Mac G5 running two highpoint RAID cards with over 60 TB of drives attached. Moved to an external Highpoint 8 drive thunderbolt 3 housing and the new Mac Mini supporting 10gb ethernet for network attacked users. The old RAID rain virtually 24/7 since 2005
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 15, 2019 09:47AM
This brings up a related question I have regarding my Synology NAS. When I got it a couple years ago, I populated it with 4 identical 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives (I spread out the purchases across different vendors/locations), but I never got around to getting a spare.

With Seagate having acquired HGST some time ago, I cannot get the matching model unless I buy old stock at an inflated price. How critical is matching the make and model these days? What would be a good match for a backup drive? A Seagate Iron Wolf?
Posted by: tenders
Date: June 15, 2019 05:33PM
I replaced my 211j with a 218+ last year and was dazzled. The new Synology actually DOES the things the old one was supposed to have done - and does them well. I'm guessing you'd see a huge improvement. The drives just dropped in and ran, as I recall, with minimal to no reconfiguration.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 16, 2019 06:57AM
I'm using Highpoint RAID controllers and I have had no issues mixing brands of same size drives for RAID 5 arrays. In fact once had a 4 TB Seagate go south and replaced it with a 5TB Hitachi, formatted into two partitions, a 1TB and a 4TB, used the 4TB as a RAID slice and the 1TB as a JBOD volume which I could use for whatever
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 16, 2019 10:15AM
datbeme
This brings up a related question I have regarding my Synology NAS. When I got it a couple years ago, I populated it with 4 identical 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives (I spread out the purchases across different vendors/locations), but I never got around to getting a spare.

With Seagate having acquired HGST some time ago, I cannot get the matching model unless I buy old stock at an inflated price. How critical is matching the make and model these days? What would be a good match for a backup drive? A Seagate Iron Wolf?

WD picked up HGST. Not Seagate. Seagate bought LaCie.

You should at least try to match the speed of the drive with your replacement. A lot of NAS drives have 5900rpm or 5700rpm. Your HGST is probably 7200rpm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018