advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is it safe to eat?
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 15, 2019 10:28AM
I just remembered that I bought a fresh pineapple last Sunday and cut it up on Monday. It's been in the 'fridge since then and looks fine. But I remember reading about it possibly getting toxic when it goes bad. Looking online says something about it lasting 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Well, I just ate a couple of pieces and haven't died...yet. Any personal experiences here or should I just call it a loss and toss it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it safe to eat?
Posted by: tortoise
Date: June 15, 2019 11:11AM
wurm
I just remembered that I bought a fresh pineapple last Sunday and cut it up on Monday. It's been in the 'fridge since then and looks fine. But I remember reading about it possibly getting toxic when it goes bad. Looking online says something about it lasting 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Well, I just ate a couple of pieces and haven't died...yet. Any personal experiences here or should I just call it a loss and toss it?

Wurm, due to a very low cal and ketogenic dieting regime my cut up fresh pineapple often spends weeks in a closed plastic container in the refrigerator and I have never experiences any problems. I think you are safe.
Date: June 15, 2019 11:18AM
Good to know. Thanks!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 15, 2019 11:39AM
[stilltasty.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: June 15, 2019 11:42AM
That's one of the sites I found, PeterB. As it said, How long does cut pineapple last in the fridge? Properly stored, cut pineapple will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator., which is why I asked for personal experiences. 3-4 days seems ridiculously short unless there's some further explanation regarding safety. I can judge taste.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 15, 2019 11:47AM
I thought it just fermented and turned into pineapple liquor. Lol
Ours is usually bought already peeled in a plastic container and may stay for a week or so before it is finished. If it smells like alcohol, we usually toss it.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 15, 2019 11:47AM
Costco used to (still does?) offer cut pineapple "spears" in plastic containers in their refrigerator section. We would keep/use them for over a week, sometimes longer. Don't know if they added any preservatives or anything...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 15, 2019 02:03PM
IMO, food lasts longer if you don't give it an environment to grow into other forms. IOW, just leave it in a plate uncovered or partially covered. That's my experience, but I'm not credentialed :^)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 15, 2019 03:20PM
wurm
That's one of the sites I found, PeterB. As it said, How long does cut pineapple last in the fridge? Properly stored, cut pineapple will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator., which is why I asked for personal experiences. 3-4 days seems ridiculously short unless there's some further explanation regarding safety. I can judge taste.

Right, but the reason I gave the specific link is because of their comment: "How to tell if cut pineapple is bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the cut pineapple: discard any pineapple that has an off smell or appearance; if mold appears, discard the cut pineapple."

Fresh pineapple is full of proteases, enzymes that break down proteins -- so I'd guess it might actually last a lot longer than 3-4 days, especially if kept very cold and in a covered container.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018