Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any advantage to upgrading the OS?
Posted by: dmag
Date: June 22, 2019 12:33AM
Hi,

I'm running 10.12.6 on a mid-2012 MBP, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2nd drive 1TB SATA (replaced the optical).

The majority of my use is Internet research and writing, creating videos for YouTube and podcasting......with minor use in spreadsheets, mindmapping, database, and occasionally dabbling in image manipulation.

Sierra has been rock solid for a long time and I had people tell me there was no big reason to move into High Sierra. I've more or less ignored Mojave and now I see Catalina is about to be released. So, a couple of questions, if you have an opinion or experience.

1. Based on my usage, is there a compelling reason to upgrade to mojave and perhaps later to Catalina?

2. Considering just Mojave for now, does this OS remove any functionality that users of Sierra have and would consider important?

3. Would I lose any apps in upgrading, or have to buy new versions? If that seems like a strange question, I lost Final Cut Pro years ago when either a software or hardware (can't recall) upgrade rendered it useless. So, now I always ask.

I'm hanging with Mid-2012s because those seem to be the last box the user can open up. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'm okay with what I have but if I can gain some improvements without any key sacrifices, I'm open to it.

Thanks for reading.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any advantage to upgrading the OS?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 22, 2019 01:01AM
1. No. But 10.12 will stop receiving support (security updates) in Sept. Consider upgrading to High Sierra.

2. No.

3. Mojave: Potentially - always a risk when upgrading the OS. Catalina: Certainly - all 32-bit apps will stop working.

Posted by: jdc
Date: June 22, 2019 01:13AM
I dont see any compelling reason to upgrade.

No real idea if you will lose apps. Guess we would need a list. 32 bit vs 64 bit would be the biggest issue, but unless you have something really old, prog not an issue.

I get the appeal of the 2012 MPBs, but once you have upgraded... then what? meh. Heavy, extra unneeded ports, optical drive, etc.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 01:14AM by jdc.
Date: June 22, 2019 04:16AM
jdc
I dont see any compelling reason to upgrade.

No real idea if you will lose apps. Guess we would need a list. 32 bit vs 64 bit would be the biggest issue, but unless you have something really old, prog not an issue.

I get the appeal of the 2012 MPBs, but once you have upgraded... then what? meh. Heavy, extra unneeded ports, optical drive, etc.

Exactly. That's why I ditched the optical for the second HD. Don't want to go back. I was able to improve this unit pretty inexpensively and have a backup unit waiting if this one expires. I know the day will come when I'll have to leave the 2012s, but I'm hoping I can get another 5 years or better before I have to move on. Thanks for the input.
Date: June 22, 2019 04:20AM
Sarcany
1. No. But 10.12 will stop receiving support (security updates) in Sept. Consider upgrading to High Sierra.

2. No.

3. Mojave: Potentially - always a risk when upgrading the OS. Catalina: Certainly - all 32-bit apps will stop working.

Didn't know about the Sept. cutoff for support. I can move into High Sierra on the main drive. I've tested it on a small partition and all was okay. I'll take that tip and do it. As far as 32-bit apps, I'll have to hope all the creators have written 64-bit versions. Thanks much.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 22, 2019 06:14AM
I have 12.6 on my 2015 iMac and 2010 MBP, and both are stable. Not interested in updating, but if no security updates this fall, may have to.

My 2015 MBA came with Mojave, and it seems OK. Couldn't get Office Mac 2011 to register, but that was MS's fault, not Apple's; using Libre Office instead. So I'll probably update the other two to Mojave in the Fall. Not happy with the idea of losing 32-bit apps in Catalina.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 22, 2019 08:04AM
Mojave is fine except its annoying warnings about 32 bit apps not working in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 08:05AM by sekker.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 22, 2019 10:29AM
dmag
As far as 32-bit apps, I'll have to hope all the creators have written 64-bit versions. Thanks much.

You can check in the System Information (System Report) panel from "About this Mac..."

Click on "Applications" on the left side of the window, then click on the "64-Bit (Intel) column to sort by the info in that column. Anything that says "No" will not run under Catalina.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 22, 2019 10:45AM
How does Mojave affect the speed on the Mid-2012 MBP with an I5 processor (SSD, 8GB ram)?

I have one on Sierra and another I was going to move to Hi-Sierra in a couple of weeks. Now I'm wondering whether to just take them to Mojave and be done with it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 22, 2019 01:03PM
Ombligo
How does Mojave affect the speed on the Mid-2012 MBP with an I5 processor (SSD, 8GB ram)?

I have one on Sierra and another I was going to move to Hi-Sierra in a couple of weeks. Now I'm wondering whether to just take them to Mojave and be done with it.

I moved this 2012 i7 MBPR to Mojave, I did not notice any speed loss going from Sierra to HS to M. This has 16GB RAM, however, but still has the (relatively slow) early SSD.
Posted by: Winston
Date: June 22, 2019 10:10PM
I'm still on El Capitan. There are just a few 32-bit applications that I'd hate to lose:

• PowerMail - ancient email program, no longer updated, but I live there. Cannot find a similar modern option.

• FileMaker Pro v.9 - also ancient. Usually crashes when I open it, but then opens correctly when I try again. FileMaker charges something like $550 for a new version. (FileMaker Corp gave up on personal users of FileMaker Pro years ago.)

• Quicken 2007 - self explanatory, I think. Quirky, and downloading data doesn't work the way it should. But it's not clear to me that there is a decent alternative unless I want to run the Windows version.

• MS Office 2011 - I hate Word, but have gotten used to it. Excel is not bad. I've got LibreOffice, but it doesn't capture me. I guess that would be the option if I had to. Not willing to pay MS for annual upgrades.

It's a shorter "critical" list than I expected. A few other things I like, such as Tex-Edit Plus, and ClickBook, are either not critical or likely will have 64-bit versions.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018