advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I think I just fired a contractor
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 23, 2019 12:08PM
Not sure if I can use the term "fired" since he didn't even start the project, but I am sick of begging him to give me a quote.

I need to replace the front door, and I went to Home Depot to get a quote. I neighbor recommended a contractor who did some work at her house in the past. I texted him, he responded immediately and came home the same evening to look at the door. He even came with one of his guys. They took measurements, they are VERY familiar with this type of job since they knew that we have to get the exact replacement, they know which type of door, etc.

Took down my email, he already had phone number since we texted back and forth.

That was Wednesday. He said he will send the quote soon. Nothing Thursday. Friday night I told him I need quotation by Saturday night. He said no problem.

Today is Sunday and no quotation. We are not at Home Depot and about to place the order, and this guy still didn't send the quotation. I texted him again, he did read the message (iMessages shows he read it), he didn't even respond.

Why would someone bother to come to your house, with one if his crew guys, spend time driving back and forth and here on site, if they can't be bothered to even provide a quotation?

thanks for listening.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I think I just fired a contractor
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 23, 2019 12:27PM
Assuming that he's competent, he's got jobs keeping him busy all day which means he's not sitting at a desk putting together quotes and capriciously putting off yours. He's got to squeeze in your quote between other stuff, most of it far more critical than your door.

Three days is not a long time to wait for a quote on a small job like that. It's not like you're paying him to expedite it.

I think you expect more than is reasonable.

Seems like your deadline is arbitrary and you're looking for an excuse to be angry over someone who isn't making you the center of his life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 12:31PM by Sarcany.
Date: June 23, 2019 12:32PM
well he was able to come and see the door the same day I contacted him. not sure how busy he is.

anyway, he committed to send the quote by a certain time, and the time passed. better half wants a new door. I cannot wait for contractors who cannot provide a quote on time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 12:33PM by space-time.
Date: June 23, 2019 12:35PM
space-time
anyway, he committed to send the quote by a certain time, and the time passed. better half wants a new door. I cannot wait for contractors who cannot provide a quote on time.

He said "soon."

You accepted that.

Then you changed it to "Saturday."

You're telling him to do unpaid work for you on a weekend.

You're lucky if you don't get blackballed by all of the contractors in the region.

Date: June 23, 2019 12:36PM
OK thanks
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 23, 2019 01:05PM
OK thanks

You're a better man than I, s-t.

Thanks are not in order.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 23, 2019 01:07PM
RAMd®d
OK thanks

You're a better man than I, s-t.

Thanks are not in order.

You've never worked in a "service" industry.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 23, 2019 01:20PM
He was busy taking severely disabled children on their annual picnic. Aren't you ashamed of yourself?
Date: June 23, 2019 01:29PM
People are prejudiced against contractors.

Change it up for this forum: Now it's a freelance web designer.

Client: I've never worked with you before, you have no reason to put any trust in me, and I have a tiny job for you that you'll barely break even on.

Web designer: Okay. I got this job as a referral from someone I like and I don't want to let them down. I'll work up a proposal and get back to you soon.

Client: Great!

Client: Oh! I know that almost no time has passed, but I'm in a hurry and now I need to you put it together on Saturday. Let me remind you that we have no working-relationship and I'm demanding extra weekend time from you without ever having paid you anything.

Date: June 23, 2019 01:36PM
You've never worked in a "service" industry.

You have no idea.

But apparently you work in a capacity that lets you think it's ok to make d¡ck moves. You probably treat minor clients like that because they think they have to 'take it' because they think they have to depend on you. God know you don't talk like that to somebody who knows better.

It's not like s-t is some kind of prima donna pitching a hissy fit and ranting.

And you're only assuming the contractor is competent.

Again, you have no idea.

I've recently seen two friends go through a song and dance with what you would assume is a competent contractor. He was anything but. He showed up, said all the right things, and maintained less and less contact. Finally another contractor was contacted, did and outstanding job with permits, construction, inspections, and finishing.

The first guy finally called back, still not prepared to start work.

His loss.

If a 'competent' contractor is too busy to keep a potential client in the loop, he shouldn't have shown up for the audition.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: June 23, 2019 01:46PM
RAMd®d
It's not like s-t is some kind of prima donna pitching a hissy fit and ranting.

Actually, it's very much that.

Most contractors work on-site and put together quotes during rare office visits or after-hours. Some work days extend from 5am to 9pm. It's tough.

The guy said he'd have a quote "soon."

You should give him a week before you get a little pissy.

Space-time waited two days.

Date: June 23, 2019 02:00PM
Actually, it's very much that.

BS

The guy said he'd have a quote "soon.".

Then s-t said 'goddamit I've decided for no fsckin reason whatsoever to make it Saturday'.

The contractor said 'No problem'. He didn't say 'I'm working on it but Saturdays a little tight. Can I ask why you need it so soon?'

He did say 'No problem'. And yet...

I am prejudiced against people who choose to work in a professional environment, and choose not to perform or behave professionally.

Apparently you are prejudiced against clients...

Client: Oh! I know that almost no time has passed, but I'm in a hurry and now I need to you put it together on Saturday. Let me remind you that we have no working-relationship and I'm demanding extra weekend time from you without ever having paid you anything.

...in offering up that allegory for s-t's alleged behavior.

Let me assume as you did, that s-t was indeed being customerzilla... The professional, if competent, could have quelled any anxiety on s-t's part, merely by contacting him and explaining what's what.

Well, except for the fact we know him from is participation here to be the wholly unreasonable sort, so there's that.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: wurm
Date: June 23, 2019 02:07PM
It's not just you s-t. I had this email exchange back in August for a bathroom renovation.

timeline;

Saturday 7/28 he came to look at the scope of the job. When he left he said he'd send an estimate by the next day.
Thursday 8/2 I sent this:
Just wanted to follow up on this. We never received a quote from you after you came by last Saturday. We're trying to make a decision one way or the other and it would be helpful to have the information.

Friday 8/3 I received this:
I will work on your estimate this weekend.

I'm still waiting.

I would much prefer to be told, I'm sorry, I'm just too busy. I cant take on any additional work right now.
DON'T advertise, saying "no job too big or too small".
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 23, 2019 02:12PM
I suggest you measure the existing door and find a retail door supplier/installer in your area. Measure the door and
take a picture for "show and tell" and get a bid. New hinges are not a bad idea also.
If you can visit the shops and check out the showroom. I go for the medium volume guys. Less overhead and still in business.
Date: June 23, 2019 02:17PM
Well I just got the quotation.

He quoted $415 for installation only, I need to supply door, trim, moldings, etc.

We make it clear that I want a complete project price, I cannot haul doors from Home Depot. The only thing I want to supply myself is the lock set. everything else needs to be supplied/delivered by the contractor.

The door is in stock at Home Depot ($149). I cannot bring it home, CX-5 is just not large enough.

The Home Depot price is $722 and it includes all materials, taxes, etc. I will go with Home Depot, sorry, I cannot trust this contractor. He didn't understand that I want a complete solution.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 23, 2019 02:47PM
Home Depot delivers, for a fee.
Put that in your figures and see how the whole thing comes out.
Date: June 23, 2019 02:54PM
Acer
Home Depot delivers, for a fee.
Put that in your figures and see how the whole thing comes out.

$415 + 149 =564 before tax, 600 after tax. That is without trim/molding.

Delivery fee would probably be 50 or so for such a large item.

Then I need to be home for the delivery, and a few days alter for the install. And I would need to store the door in the small backyard for a few days.

I just want a simpler solution. So we placed the order with HD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 03:31PM by space-time.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 23, 2019 02:58PM
"Two weeks" is the standard reply.

Steel roofing contractor told us he would get in touch with us in two weeks about a start date, after we received the estimate in the mail. That was well over a month ago. I think tomorrow is the 6th week we've been waiting for his call.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 23, 2019 03:00PM
Can't you just go with one of Home Despot's fine contractors? They'll pick up the door (hopefully the right one), the hardware (hopefully it's the correct kind for your door), install all (hopefully correctly), and you pay one price. Lots of hopefully's there, but sometimes you get a win - win - win. You feeling lucky today?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 03:01PM by bfd.
Date: June 23, 2019 03:30PM
yes, that's what we did. Feeling lucky, lucky, lucky, hoping for a win - win - win.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 23, 2019 06:02PM
Two tactics used by contractors who really DON'T want the job are:
1: poor / non-existent communication
2: a job price that looks like a phone number.

They show up quickly to eyeball a job thinking said "simple" job can be parlayed into something big / bigger . Once they've scoped the job, if either #1 or #2 happens, that contractor really doesn't want to do the job. Why they simply won't tell people is beyond me. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 23, 2019 06:15PM
Sarcany and Rick-o,

Gotta disagree. Contractors can and do provide quotes in a timely manner. The amount of time depends on the size and complexity of the job. A quote to replace a front door - a relatively easy job for an experienced contractor - shouldn't take more than two or three days. Space wasn't being unreasonable and that isn't taking into account that the contractor even told him he'd be given the quote by X date.

FWIW, a reputable contractor will do right by a potential client. A small job done well from quote to finish can easily result in a larger job as well as referrals in the future.

Robert
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 23, 2019 06:40PM
space-time
yes, that's what we did. Feeling lucky, lucky, lucky, hoping for a win - win - win.

If the HD contractor doesn’t perform, at least you can bitch at HD as well as the contractor.
Those contractors don’t want you to get them kicked off the HD approved list.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: June 23, 2019 07:24PM
rgG
space-time

If the HD contractor doesn’t perform, at least you can bitch at HD as well as the contractor.

Thanks, IIRC you work for HD so an inside tip like this is really appreciated!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 23, 2019 08:31PM
I'm dealing with contractors for the first time. You have to understand that you're dealing with busy people who probably have larger jobs. They don't consider their primary job to be communication. Yes, yes, that is often very frustrating. With the good ones its fine since they'll take care of you eventually. With the bad ones its rightfully terrifying. THE GOOD ONES WILL BE BUSY. Slow responses are the norm but its okay. If you need someone fast you'll get what you get and you have to be okay with it.

Stay respectful and understanding and you'll make the best of it.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2019 08:37PM
.....so you should have your own reality show.......'You're Fired!'.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 23, 2019 08:50PM
space-time
rgG
space-time

Thanks, IIRC you work for HD so an inside tip like this is really appreciated!

No problem. HD wants you to be happy. Always remember that. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: June 23, 2019 10:27PM
NewtonMP2100
.....so you should have your own reality show.......'You're Fired!'.......

Next I will run for President!
Posted by: max
Date: June 23, 2019 10:37PM
Robert M
Sarcany and Rick-o,

Gotta disagree. Contractors can and do provide quotes in a timely manner. The amount of time depends on the size and complexity of the job. A quote to replace a front door - a relatively easy job for an experienced contractor - shouldn't take more than two or three days. Space wasn't being unreasonable and that isn't taking into account that the contractor even told him he'd be given the quote by X date.

FWIW, a reputable contractor will do right by a potential client. A small job done well from quote to finish can easily result in a larger job as well as referrals in the future.

Robert

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
Very often it does not matter, a good contractor will have more potential jobs than he can handle at any one time. And a timely manner is not necessarily on the same timetable as yours.
As Sarcany mentioned, they guy was probably doing a favor for his existing client, by looking at this in the first place. This is one of these few times that I agree with him, and this time his analysis was right on the money....
Date: June 24, 2019 07:41AM
Very often it does not matter, a good contractor will have more potential jobs than he can handle at any one time.

Which is no small part of the bias that many people have against contractors. That and not the fact that a small contractor operates on their own schedule, but that they don't keep in touch when there's a problem. That's what phones and schedules are for.

If the timetables don't mesh, man up and say so. Or is the contractor afraid of losing a small job?

'neighbor recommended a contractor who did some work at her house in the past' isn't the same as 'doing a favor for his existing client'. It could be. s-t's situation may have been small potatoes compared to the neighbor's work.

testcase nailed it. (No contracting pun intended).

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 24, 2019 03:59PM
Understandable. If you're a contractor, you always want to have more work than you can do because sitting around idle waiting for jobs sucks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018