advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
InDesign vs Pages for print jobs
Posted by: roshi
Date: June 24, 2019 11:02AM
Does PAGES create just as good PDFs for print jobs - as in, printing 1000 copies of a book, as InDesign?

for the last 15 years, the workflow has been InDesign -> PDF -> email PDF to a printing company, have them produce it.

I stopped upgrading InDesign at CS 6 - get info shows it as being from 2012.

I don't use right justification.

PS - I love InDesign and I used to write in it. So beautiful. Most of my books are published by major houses, and the workflow is Pages -> WORD -> radical editing, and they do the InDesign layouts. The words CANNOT be precious during the writing, they need to be chopped up, rearranged, edited. But for this one book, a translation of a Sanskrit text, using Adobe fonts, there is something really charming about seeing the page layout.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: InDesign vs Pages for print jobs
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 24, 2019 11:15AM
Roshi,

Have you looked at Affinity Publisher? I'm planning to slowly migrate from InDesign to Publisher. As much as I like InDesign (5.5), I can't justify the expense of upgrading to a newer version of it. Publisher looked like a great alternative, one that is far more flexible, capable and usable for Indesign-type tasks than Pages.

Robert
Date: June 24, 2019 11:31AM
I saw an ad for Affinity the other day, but that's all I know.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 24, 2019 11:48AM
[forums.macresource.com]

Free trial download, if you are used to InDesign, you may want to use something like this instead of Pages.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 24, 2019 12:12PM
Pages is useless for professional printing. No color-control, no separations, and no precision for page-layout.

Posted by: jdc
Date: June 24, 2019 02:07PM
Pages creates PDFs fine, (quantity is irrelvant) although the files I usually receive are huge. I agree Pages is lacking for some things, but for black text, should be fine.

Im not sure thats the question tho... is it already built in Pages? Or are you asking if Pages is a good layout program? Or were you going to do the layout in Indesign? If your copy of CS 6 runs, then use it. Nothing wrong with CS 6.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 24, 2019 02:52PM
Just a word. If you’re planning on doing the final layout yourself, I’d very strongly advise that you check in with the printer before getting too deep into your project, to see if the have any technical/ logistical requirements for production.

This is doubly critical if you are planning on doing any unusual, precise or ‘artistic’ layouts. This would also be the case if you are planning on using color in your layouts and have not before.

Just a little preplanning with your printer can save much time and expense later.
Date: June 24, 2019 05:06PM
The book is in InDesign, CS 6, and prints beautifully. I kept my older MacBook Pro (2014) and InDesign runs fine on it, but for the future, I am wondering if CS 6 will run on the next OS.
Date: June 24, 2019 05:48PM
roshi
The book is in InDesign, CS 6, and prints beautifully. I kept my older MacBook Pro (2014) and InDesign runs fine on it, but for the future, I am wondering if CS 6 will run on the next OS.

It won't. CS6 is 32-bit.

Catalina will only run 64-bit apps.

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: June 25, 2019 04:09PM
Sarcany
Pages is useless for professional printing. No color-control, no separations, and no precision for page-layout.

That may be a little misleading and harsh. I've written 3 books—70,000 printed copies, including one that had a really expensive binding—all using Pages layout and then exported to finished PDF. True, if you have a lot of colored images where the color was really important, ID is the only way to go. And same for micro adjustments (100ths of an inch) in fonts and layout. But the layout process works great. Linked text boxes, master pages, even a pretty decent Table of Contents. And I find it a breeze to use.

No disrespect to ID at all! But the adage 'right tool for the right job' makes Pages a worthy consideration.

Some pics:

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: June 25, 2019 04:20PM
Thanks all of you!
Date: June 25, 2019 05:53PM
tuqqer
No disrespect to ID at all! But the adage 'right tool for the right job' makes Pages a worthy consideration.

No disrespect to you (Very impressive!), but honestly, if you did it in Pages, you could probably have done it just as well using TextEdit or even done the layout in a WordPress template.

(TextEdit is more versatile than most people think, as is WordPress.)

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: June 25, 2019 06:45PM
I agree, TextEdit is great and highly underutilized. I have it in my Dock permanently

The reason I ended up going with Pages instead of TextEdit for writing published books is its inclusion of Style Sheets, text boxes and linked text boxes, Master pages (which I found crucial), dynamically linkable Contents and Index sections (a life saver if I would change anything in the content), alignment guides on Master pages, the image gallery, image basics like Edit Mask and Insta Alpha, easily controlled image movement (not as fine as InDesign, but sufficient), shadow/reflection, and better footer/header control.

It would be interesting to hear from someone whose written books using just TextEdit and compare notes. I used to only use ID (originally in Quark) and then met someone who wrote all their books in Pages, and that's when I changed over.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018