advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any Garage-Door Experts Here?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 24, 2019 12:31PM
Wife was closing the garage door using the outside keypad, when she remembered something, and rather than just sticking out her foot to trigger the emergency lift, starting pressing random keys. There was a snap, and the motor continued making a loud noise.

Later in the day, I looked at it and discovered that a plastic coupler, which transmits power from the electric motor to the screw that moves the door, had broken. Turns out it's called a sprocket coupler, and (thanks to a YouTube video) is readily available from Amazon. Prime gave me 'free' one-day delivery.

Installation was finicky but relatively easy. But the opening and closing limits are all screwed up. Now this is an older LIftmaster, screw type, model 1000sd, which has limit-adjust and force-adjust buttons, but no electronic reset. Since I didn't know the position of the carrier when the coupler broke, I ran the opener with the door detached until the carrier went up (and stopped about a third of the way). Then I manually turned the coupler and the screw until the carrier was up by the motor in the open-door position. But plugging in the opener, and using the remote button, the carrier ran down to the end and jammed, as if the motor thought it should go further.

No amount of fiddling seems to work. The newer models have two buttons for limit resets, but this one doesn't (it's from 1996). So my question is this:

How can I reset the limits that will tell the motor where to start and stop on each direction of travel?

All the instructions I can find are for the later models with the reset buttons. The manual just tells me how to adjust the limits, but not to reset them! confused smiley

Here's the unit:

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any Garage-Door Experts Here?
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 24, 2019 12:38PM
I would not think the limits are relative, but hard-coded. 1 is always 1 unit of pressure or whatever. Turn them both back to 1 and start experimenting.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 24, 2019 12:57PM
Is there a model number anywhere on it? They have about 70 different LiftMaster manuals on the website.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 24, 2019 01:12PM
Not sure, but in your picture I one set of adjusters for force and another that are likely for travel?

What’s the practical difference between adjusting limits and resetting them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 01:13PM by deckeda.
Date: June 24, 2019 02:09PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Is there a model number anywhere on it? They have about 70 different LiftMaster manuals on the website.

Model 1000SD

I have the manual.

deckeda: Later models have buttons you can use to set the top and bottom limits. The adjusters are for adjustments, but apparently do not set the limits.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Golfer
Date: June 24, 2019 02:39PM
I have the same type opener, the screws to the right are for travel limits. Start with them more on the minus side and keep turning up until you get the travel distance you want. The adjustments on the left are for force of travel.
Date: June 24, 2019 03:10PM
Golfer
I have the same type opener, the screws to the right are for travel limits. Start with them more on the minus side and keep turning up until you get the travel distance you want. The adjustments on the left are for force of travel.

I've tried adjusting both travel-limit and force-of-travel screws, and they're not solving the problem. Apparently things are too far out of whack for them to reset the limits.

I saw video for a different model, where a guy took off the cover and reset the Limit Switch Assembly. My manual parts list shows one, so maybe that's my next step.

Anyone have experience with those?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 24, 2019 03:16PM
Since I didn't know the position of the carrier when the coupler broke, I ran the opener with the door detached until the carrier went up (and stopped about a third of the way)

I would think this is the "full up" maximum position, with the upper limit screw turned fully positive. I would turn the screw more negative to confirm that it will now stop (without attached door) at a point farther down.

If so, can you detach the coupler and adjust the screw by hand until attaching the door results in the door being fully open at this setting?
Date: June 24, 2019 03:26PM
neophyte
Since I didn't know the position of the carrier when the coupler broke, I ran the opener with the door detached until the carrier went up (and stopped about a third of the way)

I would think this is the "full up" maximum position, with the upper limit screw turned fully positive. I would turn the screw more negative to confirm that it will now stop (without attached door) at a point farther down.

If so, can you detach the coupler and adjust the screw by hand until attaching the door results in the door being fully open at this setting?

Yeah, I think the mistake I made was turning the screw by hand with the coupler attached. Problem is, now I can't get the carrier to reverse. Maybe because the motor thinks the end is way past where it is? I dunno. Maybe if I detach the coupler and run it back to its fully reversed position, then wind the carrier back to the motor, it will then be in synch. Takes forever to turn that screw by hand, though.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 03:28PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 24, 2019 07:12PM
I have lived at four different places with garage openers. None of them had controls like in your photo. I was asking about the model because I didn't notice it in the middle of your post (sorry about that). I wanted to read through it to see if I could come up with some ideas on how to proceed.
[support.chamberlaingroup.com]

First thing would be to verify the door opens and closes easily over the entire range with the Trolley Release Arm unlocked so you can move it manually. Now move the door manually to the middle of it's travel and lock the Trolley Release Arm. Now try to operate the opener and see if it will reverse when you toggle the button.

If the motor keeps trying to close the door when it's already all the way closed, unlock the Trolley Release Arm, turn the opener on and see if it will eventually turn off after turning the screw drive long enough. If it won't turn off, then something is likely messed up electrically in the control unit. I don't expect any door repair company will repair it for less than buying a new one will cost.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 07:12PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: June 24, 2019 07:28PM
Thanks, FHM, for taking the trouble to read the manual.

No problems with door travel. I basically tried the approach you describe, whereupon the motor drove the screw to the point where the carrier jammed at the end, as I attempted to describe in the OP.

I think I'll disconnect the coupler, and manually screw the carrier back to the Up position, make sure the motor is set to take it down, and try again.

If that doesn't work, I may try to reset the limits with the Limit Switch Assembly (inside the housing somewhere). At that point I can also check the wiring.

If that fails, I'll probably have to call the guy who originally installed the opener, Studley Garage Doors. Don't know how much I'll get done before we leave for a three-day trip to Vermont for the Jenny Brook Bluegrass Festival. But I can open the door in the meantime, and hold it up with a pair of Vice-grips. And there's an internal lock when it's closed.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 25, 2019 01:01AM
Seems like you have to reset the limits on the assembly. Take apart is in your future.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 25, 2019 09:34AM
Is there any place for mechanical adjustment at the shuttle? See that nut on the part that hooks to the chain in the picture below? Maybe something is out of whack there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 09:36AM by Acer.
Date: June 25, 2019 10:04AM
Acer, the nut is just for tightening the chain.
Date: June 25, 2019 02:56PM
[youtu.be]
Did you do the step on time 3:13 going forward, marking the chain on the bar? That what seems to be the issue. Instead of taking the limit switch apart, adjust the chain location.
Date: June 25, 2019 10:12PM
Carm
[youtu.be]
Did you do the step on time 3:13 going forward, marking the chain on the bar? That what seems to be the issue. Instead of taking the limit switch apart, adjust the chain location.

Mine is not a chain-drive opener. It's a screw-drive:

[embed.widencdn.net]

The principles are the same, so it is relevant. Unfortunately, I lost the location of the trolley when the coupler (which drives the screw) broke.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 10:18PM by mrlynn.
Date: June 26, 2019 12:05AM
That should be easier to fix. Run the system without the trolly connected so it can run through the cycles and up and down completely. Reconnect the trolly when it stops at the end of its down cycle. If you have messed with the limit adjusters. You will have to adjust them some more. See page 33 for diagram of how it works/looks inside.

This step is to get the garage door in the range of where you want it (mark the closed door trolly location and opened door trolly location) without your garage going up and down while you test the settings. With the trolly connected (mark where it’s ends up on the top bar when the garage is closed), pull the emergency release and lift the garage open to where you want it to open to and mark the end of the trolly (if it needs help staying where you want it, you can use a piece of wood or a pair of vise grips to clamp the edge and hold it open to the right height.) Re-engage the trolly with the door down and disconnect the pin on the bottom of the trolly so the garage door and the trolly are separate. With the trolly only engaged and connected to the opener, push the garage button and the trolly should move toward the opener (simulating it opening the garage door). It should stop somewhere near the 2nd mark you made earlier. If it’s not close, adjust the up limiter UP till it gets to that point. (This is why you should disconnect the garage door from the trolly. Testing trolly location) * be ready to pull the emergency cord if the trolly goes past the second mark (this is mainly important if you decide to NOT remove the PIN while adjusting.

If the space between trolly and the top mark is more than 5 feet to the mark line you made (garage up) OR the up limit switch is at the end of the up level (you can’t turn it any more ) you will have to adjust the down limit switch AFTER you push the garage button to simulate garage closing and the trolly moves back to the first mark you made. ( what you are doing is increasing the space that the garage door will travel). Disengage the trolly and make adjustments to the down limit switch (turn down), run the cycle (open and closed) without the trolly engaged so it doesn’t interfere with adjustments and after it ends the cycle / back to closed position. Reconnect the trolly lining it up to the bar mark and push the garage open button to see how much progress has been made to trolly getting to the second mark you made (preferred open location).

Let me know how confusing this is.
Date: June 26, 2019 06:29AM
Carm
That should be easier to fix. Run the system without the trolly connected so it can run through the cycles and up and down completely. Reconnect the trolly when it stops at the end of its down cycle. If you have messed with the limit adjusters. You will have to adjust them some more. See page 33 for diagram of how it works/looks inside.

This step is to get the garage door in the range of where you want it (mark the closed door trolly location and opened door trolly location) without your garage going up and down while you test the settings. With the trolly connected (mark where it’s ends up on the top bar when the garage is closed), pull the emergency release and lift the garage open to where you want it to open to and mark the end of the trolly (if it needs help staying where you want it, you can use a piece of wood or a pair of vise grips to clamp the edge and hold it open to the right height.) Re-engage the trolly with the door down and disconnect the pin on the bottom of the trolly so the garage door and the trolly are separate. With the trolly only engaged and connected to the opener, push the garage button and the trolly should move toward the opener (simulating it opening the garage door). It should stop somewhere near the 2nd mark you made earlier. If it’s not close, adjust the up limiter UP till it gets to that point. (This is why you should disconnect the garage door from the trolly. Testing trolly location) * be ready to pull the emergency cord if the trolly goes past the second mark (this is mainly important if you decide to NOT remove the PIN while adjusting.

If the space between trolly and the top mark is more than 5 feet to the mark line you made (garage up) OR the up limit switch is at the end of the up level (you can’t turn it any more ) you will have to adjust the down limit switch AFTER you push the garage button to simulate garage closing and the trolly moves back to the first mark you made. ( what you are doing is increasing the space that the garage door will travel). Disengage the trolly and make adjustments to the down limit switch (turn down), run the cycle (open and closed) without the trolly engaged so it doesn’t interfere with adjustments and after it ends the cycle / back to closed position. Reconnect the trolly lining it up to the bar mark and push the garage open button to see how much progress has been made to trolly getting to the second mark you made (preferred open location).

Let me know how confusing this is.

Carm, I did some of that after I got the new couple installed. Problem is the travel is screwed up, and the trolley goes to the down end and jams. Button won't return it. So my plan is to take the coupler out and manually reset the trolley to where it should be when the motor thinks the door is fully up (or down). Then reinstall the coupler, and I should be able to fine-tune with the adjusters.

If that doesn't work, then I'll have to get into the limit-setting switch.

But I put it on hold, as we're getting our trailer ready for three days in Vermont, starting tomorrow. It'll all have to wait until next week.

Thanks for your attention and thoughtful instructions (only a little confusing). They'll definitely be of help.

/Mr Lynn
Date: June 26, 2019 12:51PM
It seems like one of the limit switches got disconnected or passed the point of the contact.
[youtu.be]
The one in this video is on the bottom, yours is on the side. You can see where it’s supposed to be in relation to the limit switch on each side. No need to turn the whole screw drive. Disconnect the gear at the limiter and adjust. There is nothing on the screw drive itself that tells the motor where the trolly is. The position is determined by the limiter. If you connect the trolly/carriage at the “wrong” time in the up or down cycle it will go in the wrong direction.

Have a fun trip, my SIL and family just got a trailer and understand the preparations required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 12:54PM by Carm.
Date: July 08, 2019 04:19PM
Back from trip to Vermont, plus a week of dithering, but got it fixed today!

Follow up report HERE.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 322
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018