advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any suggestions for a parking solution in my HOA?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 24, 2019 09:41PM
We have 306 townhouses and 683 parking spots, so about 2.2 parking spots per house. Some people have one car, but most people have 2, 3 or more cars. So parking is always an issue. You always find a parking spot, but it;s not right in front if your house and some people get pissed off.

right now there is no assignment. You are supposed to have a resident tag, and overnight visitors get a different tag and are supposed to park in some "overflow" areas. That is rarely respected. Some visitors park in non-overflow spots.

Here is a example of why it is difficult to assign everyone one parking spot in front of their house. Some houses are just not even close to parking. See 86, 87, 88, 13, 14, 94, 95

Apparently a committee looked into this and they did not find a better solution that what we have now (basically no assignment at all).

What are your suggestions?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any suggestions for a parking solution in my HOA?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 24, 2019 09:46PM
Sell, get out while you can. Avoid HOA’s at all costs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 24, 2019 09:49PM
86, 87, 88 are not going to have parking regardless. So, assign one spot to all the others.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 24, 2019 09:52PM
I'd stay the @#$%& away from this mess and just park at the far side of the lot.

There will never be peace.

Also, example number 34534543 why drivers should like pedestrians and cyclists. Mopeds too I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 09:53PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 24, 2019 10:14PM
Since you chose to live there, I would vote to assign two spots to each condo with the extras being for guest. Offenders to spots get towed ASAP... this is the rule at my cousins condo in Rancho Cucamonga. He only has one spot though. Tow companies are more than happy to participate.
I’m surprised they don’t have assigned spots already.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 24, 2019 10:14PM
There is no solution - there isn't enough parking. Speedy has the best answer so far, imo.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 24, 2019 10:20PM
"Some visitors park in non-overflow spots."

More or better signage. Violaters will be towed, etc. Number the spots.

"86, 87, 88 are not going to have parking regardless"

80 and 88 park around the corners.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 24, 2019 10:22PM
....ditch the car.....get bicycle.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: clay
Date: June 24, 2019 10:25PM
each home gets 1 spot assigned as close to their house as possible. Then one spot not quite as close. Any remaining spots marked as "visitor" spots with whatever restrictions necessary.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 24, 2019 10:25PM
This is easy, except that no one is going to be happy.

The fair way to do it is to make it so everyone walks the same distance. You assign 2 spots to every house and the rest are for overflow. The overflow is the farthest spots away. Assign spaces to each house averaging it so that everyone walks the same distance from their spot.

That means that no one is parking directly in front of their house, but everyone is offset. No other way to do it, but since that way pisses off everyone, it isn't going to happen. Hence you are stuck with the crap you have now because people would rather gamble that sometimes they find a spot close than have an assigned spot that is always a little walk.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 10:27PM by C(-)ris.
Date: June 24, 2019 10:33PM
My 2 cents: If I’m counting correctly, there are 29 homes and 60 spots. Two spots per home, fsck getting two spots in front of your home. It’s not going to happen for everyone, especially the outside homes. Have them get the spots closest to their home near the corner. For everyone else, a spot near the front of their home and the other somewhere near. That way they can’t complain about not having a spot in front of their home.

Edit: I do agree with C( - ) ris planning though. You can see if someone is in your spot and you all walk the same distance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 10:40PM by Carm.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 24, 2019 10:37PM
Yeah, one spot close, the second not so much. You could also move the trash enclosure in the center island, lose the landscaping, and add more spots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 10:39PM by btfc.
Posted by: August West
Date: June 24, 2019 10:38PM
I'm with Carm. Gotta check the governing docs carefully.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 24, 2019 10:55PM
Give everyone two parking permits. One corresponds to a reserved spot.

Paint numbers on the reserved spots and put up signage to remind people that numbered spots are reserved.

Each resident gets a green sticker that's numbered to correspond to a reserved spot near their home.

They also get a white hanging tag that's numbered just to keep track of the tags.

The hanging tag can be used either for a second car for the resident, or for a guest.

Guests with no tags are subject to towing after 9pm. I'm sure the local towing company will give the HOA a chunk of the profits. Use the money for parking lot maintenance and improvements and throw a party every year with what's left.

...I'm with Speedy on this: The place was designed to aggravate the residents. Toss an HOA into the mix and you have a big fat mess. Get out while you can.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 24, 2019 11:14PM
Just to toss a wrinkle into the plans before it gets overlooked -- handicap spots. I'm sure that state law will dictate how many are needed based upon the number of spots. They will also need to be prime locations and open to both residents and visitors.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 24, 2019 11:46PM
The biggest problem with all of these well thought out plans is that somebody has to enforce them. Nobody really wants to be the bad guy who monitors what car is parked where (how often do you have to do that?) or call the towing company. I suppose you could hire a private officer of some kind, but that is going to cost some real cash.

Before we were married, my wife lived in a residential area where large houses were divided into many apartments. Street parking was first come, first served. Once in a while you got to park in front, or near your place but not all that often. Your townhouse situation my just be the same as her downtown street situation, first come first served. Learn to live with it! (Ouch!)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 25, 2019 12:14AM
Speedy

yup.
Date: June 25, 2019 12:37AM
Racer X
Speedy

yup.
I completely agree, but sometimes you have very little options of where you want to live. I live in a HOA community because I liked the neighborhood (walking distance to all the schools, well kept, most of the time). There is no board (no board meetings..no jerk president...etc), there are dues for “common areas” (collected by a management company). But the city pretty much covers what the HOA would with regards to trash/parked cars on streets... etc. The city partnered with an App Company to report city code violations. not all cities around here have the same type of city ordinances/codes. But ours pretty much follows what an HOA would without being petty. I have lived here 3 years and no problems. A neighbor had a pretty bad lawn situation, his neighbors talked to him and some even called the city code enforcement. He eventually replaced all of his dead grass with sand/stone. Code enforcement officer drive around the neighborhoods regularly.

My sister lives in an older part of this city (no HOA) and they still have code enforcement driving around. So they have to follow “the rules” also.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 25, 2019 12:38AM
I think you need this guy - [en.wikipedia.org] [gimletmedia.com]

Date: June 25, 2019 12:45AM
Don C, with regards to policing the spots. That’s on the spot holders and the towing company.
I was visiting my cousin, and we saw the pizza delivery guy get his car hooked ready to be towed. The towing company made rounds often there because there was very few spots. The pizza guy pulled in, the tow truck was less then a minute behind him. Pizza guy went to deliver pizza, parked illegally. Tow driver had him hooked by the time he returned.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 25, 2019 04:52AM
Speedy
.this
or get all the owners to join in a CAS against the developer who created this
clusterfsck originally. (just my pipe dream not based on reality)

Good Luck s-t

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Michael
Date: June 25, 2019 05:03AM
I'm with Sarcany with a few modifications. I'd add have all the "more than 2 per unit" spots as visitor spots, and labelled as such. And far away. Maybe have a single, central spot labelled as "5 min deliveries" or something like that. I wouldn't give any unit more than 2 parking tags. If somebody has more than 3 cars, they can "buy" one from somebody with only 1 car. Or park somewhere off grounds. Then the contract with the same type of tow group as Carm indicated! Maybe require a 5 min wait for any tow that is a clearly-indicated delivery vehicle. I wouldn't wait until 9pm to tow visitors. I'd do it instantly. You'd have some really hostile people for a while but they'd stop parking incorrectly pretty quickly.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 25, 2019 05:29AM
I have the feeling due to circumstances he can't simply move. I used to live in a co-op with board-members who govern the rules. When living in such close proximity to one another rules are necessary to keep dcks in check. More rules on top of rules is rarely the solution. Focus on enforcing the rules already in place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 05:29AM by 3d.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 25, 2019 06:07AM
Ombligo
Just to toss a wrinkle into the plans before it gets overlooked -- handicap spots. I'm sure that state law will dictate how many are needed based upon the number of spots. They will also need to be prime locations and open to both residents and visitors.

I was just thinking about this the other day. There is only one resident and one spot in front of her house.

I don't know if the state law applies to residences. This is NOT a public parking lot.
Date: June 25, 2019 06:29AM
.....what about a.....Battle Royale.....???

Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 25, 2019 07:59AM
There probably is no real solution that will make everyone happy. I think it's a combination of many of the responses here. Are all of the separate complexes pretty much the same as far as spaces vs. units? If so, have a small committee of volunteers appointed for each complex. Have a lottery to pick one space, After the first space is chosen, have another lottery for the second space. Any leftover spots can be for guests. If anyone has more than two vehicles, they will have to park in an overflow area somewhere else. Those two spaces will be assigned to their respective units in perpetuity taking resident turnover into consideration.

If each complex does not have the same space vs. unit ratio, all bets are off. Just ban all cars and turn it into green space :-).

I'm not a real fan of calling tow companies, talk about pissing people off. You'd hope that good clear signage and some shaming, allowing for a learning curve, would suffice.

Each assigned space would be clearly marked with a corresponding number to your decal. Each car would get two of each decals so they can park in either space.

Obviously, any idea will have to be fair for all residents and that won't be easy. That's why you need a good, fair committee with no agendas of their own.

Also, I assume that most residents think there is a problem, if not, then it should probably just be left alone.
Date: June 25, 2019 08:09AM
....but what color was the bear......??

Posted by: max
Date: June 25, 2019 08:09AM
Why not make it a bit more exciting?

Hunger Games for parking spots.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 25, 2019 08:20AM
Cash on the line. Everyone gets two numbered spots and a hang tag that defines the spot number. Residents can use those tags as they see fit. If they have no cars, they have two visitor tags. If they have one car, they have one visitor tag. If they have two cars, tough. If they have three cars, they're gonna have to BUY a third tag. For a hefty price.

You can RENT a visitor tag for a week minimum for a hefty price.

Residents who want to can sell their hang tags back for a smaller hefty price.

$ leftover goes to parking enforcement. Signage to indicate parking without a hangtag and/or in the wrong spot gets towed, no questions. Done. Deliveries have 15 minutes to deliver, with move in/out and service vehicle exceptions. No overnights.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 25, 2019 08:58AM
Having reread the op, it seems there are rules and they haven't been enforced for a while. By most state statutes that means the rule is now invalid. You would need a homeowner vote to amend the HOA Covenant and that usually requires a huge passing vote. Given that, I would leave as is.

Any chance of turning any community property into additional parking? That would likely be the easiest solution

Do NOT put yourself at the forefront of this issue, it is going to be a thankless nightmare.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 25, 2019 09:00AM
Twice I've lived in "Assigned Space" developments. Both times, no one was towed that I saw during my residence there...peer pressure was enough to keep the peace. There's always a self-appointed busy-body in the development who is happy to tongue-lash scofflaws free of charge.

Here in Pittsburgh we use lawn chairs to claim spaces, and that's worked for generations.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 25, 2019 09:04AM
Ombligo
Having reread the op, it seems there are rules and they haven't been enforced for a while. By most state statutes that means the rule is now invalid. You would need a homeowner vote to amend the HOA Covenant and that usually requires a huge passing vote. Given that, I would leave as is.

Any chance of turning any community property into additional parking? That would likely be the easiest solution

Do NOT put yourself at the forefront of this issue, it is going to be a thankless nightmare.

Huh? I've never heard of such a statute.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 25, 2019 09:14AM
Acer

Here in Pittsburgh we use lawn chairs to claim spaces, and that's worked for generations.

....what about the expression......get off my lawn....???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 09:14AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 25, 2019 10:05AM
Ombligo,

RJ is correct. Lack of enforcement doesn't invalidate HOA rules. Never heard of a law that says otherwise. 'course, if rules haven't been enforced in a while and, all of a sudden, an HOA enforces them and fines violations of them, well, it would definitely make for some unhappy residents. Then again, some residents might also be thrilled about it.

to Space:

The key to this are the existing rules for parking are on paper and what authority the HOA has over enforcing and changing them. The details are in the fine print and making changes isn't necessarily as easy as an HOA just voting them in via, say, modifying the house rules. That and I'd definitely have an attorney go over any changes to make sure they are legal within the confines of the covenant.

Does the HOA have a management company managing the property? If yes, what has management suggested?

Robert
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 25, 2019 10:51AM
Acer
Twice I've lived in "Assigned Space" developments. Both times, no one was towed that I saw during my residence there...peer pressure was enough to keep the peace.

In my development, the local towing company starts patrolling promptly at 7pm and they're pretty aggressive.

Date: June 25, 2019 11:10AM
....can you just park it in the rear....???

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: June 25, 2019 11:23AM
Funny how people hate HOAs until they're ready to sell and the dump next door is affecting the value of their home.
Posted by: tenders
Date: June 25, 2019 11:39AM
What you need are enumerated parking spots and an annual “draft” lottery in which, based on their randomly-chosen draft number, each homeowner gets to pick an enumerated spot from the remaining spots. There are a couple of variations on the concept - for example, if there are two spots per homeowner, work backwards through the list for the second round and let the worst draft number pick two spots back-to-back and the best draft number gets both the best and the worst picks.

Anybody who hates the outcome only has to hate it for a year when the spots are reshuffled.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 25, 2019 12:00PM
@#$%& HOAs.

Date: June 25, 2019 12:02PM
Leave it as it is...

really - everything else requires money and/or labor and still may have no effect on people's happiness.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 25, 2019 12:10PM
slightly OT but thanks to space-time for starting another lively discussion!

hail smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Date: June 25, 2019 12:13PM
Hal,

Sometimes the happiness of the people living in a HOA managed community isn't relevant. Trust me when I say there is no such thing as happiness when it comes to parking. Doesn't matter if you're in a co-op with BoD managed parking, a residential area that lacks managed parking and just has local parking codes or in an area with HOA managed parking. There will _always_ be people unhappy about the parking situation.

Robert
Date: June 25, 2019 12:29PM
I think I just said that...
Date: June 25, 2019 12:40PM
Hal,

Kinda sorta. I saw an implication that happiness might be a possible result. Maybe some, but that's about it. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 25, 2019 12:47PM
How about parking for smaller vehicles (read 'not SUV's) closer to the apartments so more parking can be squeezed in?

Before you say it's silly (which it sort of is), think back to how parking spaces have changed over the years from the way cars used to be to the sizes now.

6.7ft wide/18.75ft long
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 25, 2019 12:47PM
Y'all are all freaking nuts. OK, maybe mostly nuts, going green was a good idea.

Double, or triple deck the parking lots, and have 24/7 golf cart shuttle service from parking spot to door step and back. Plenty of parking for owners and visitors, with virtually no inconvenience. You could even outfit the parking structures w/ solar panel and grey water collection. Maybe even throw in shuffleboard, hot tubs, BBQ area, etc.. I mean ya gotta do something to make up for the developer providing such poorly designed parking and saddling the poor schnooks that bought units there w/ an instant parking predicament. Show that SOB you do things deluxe!
==
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 25, 2019 12:50PM
Buy a house with a driveway. Most have space for at least two vehicles, and some have more. Parking is usually right next to house, or if you're lucky, a garage built onto the house with virtually no walking to get home.

Problem solved. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Oh, and @#$%& HOAs!! You have federal laws, state laws, county laws, AND city/township laws! Do we really need another layer of government to tell us how to live?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 25, 2019 04:08PM
Rick-o
Buy a house with a driveway. Most have space for at least two vehicles, and some have more.

Then someone will complain about the neighbor across the street who constantly parks their pickup truck in front of your house when they have space in front of their house and in their driveway.
Posted by: max
Date: June 25, 2019 07:58PM
Carm
I was visiting my cousin, and we saw the pizza delivery guy get his car hooked ready to be towed. The towing company made rounds often there because there was very few spots. The pizza guy pulled in, the tow truck was less then a minute behind him. Pizza guy went to deliver pizza, parked illegally. Tow driver had him hooked by the time he returned.

And that is why Speedy is right.
Towing a pizza guy, not letting a reasonable 3 minute delay is a perfect example of HOA derived assholery....
Date: June 25, 2019 09:24PM
....what about.....Central.......Park......??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 299
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018