advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chevy is working on a new Silverado that could be the first pickup to sell for $100,000
Posted by: jh
Date: June 27, 2019 01:13PM
Just my opinion but: it's a truck for Pete's sake!

Article here.

At a time when U.S. automotive sales have begun to decline for only the second time since the Great Recession, demand for pickups — and the prices some die-hard fans will pay for them — has defied gravity.

Manufacturers like General Motors are updating their lineups more frequently than ever, increasing the number of trim packages, powertrain options and creature features, like Apple CarPlay, projected displays and infotainment systems.

That’s kept pickup prices rising at a rapid rate, especially for full-size models like the Chevrolet Silverado. Prices for full-size pickups have increased from an industry average of $32,557 in 2010 to $44,181 in 2018, according to data compiled by research firm J.D. Power and Associates. That rose, again, to $45,260 for the first five months of 2019.

And they’re about to rise again, if Chevy has anything to do with it.

Chevy is just rolling out an all-new version of its heavy-duty Silverado with the new High Country trim package that could become the first U.S. pickup to top $100,000, Chevy truck marketing chief Sandor Piszar said in an interview.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chevy is working on a new Silverado that could be the first pickup to sell for $100,000
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 27, 2019 01:33PM
pfft. we are nearly there now -- I added a few accesories to get here, but it starts at $86K. Nieghbor has a F-250 Platinum, starts at $65K, but they have a Limited starting at $80K.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Chevy is working on a new Silverado that could be the first pickup to sell for $100,000
Posted by: max
Date: June 27, 2019 02:01PM
Down here you start with King Ranch edition...
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 27, 2019 02:15PM
I see used pickups in the paper for $55,000. I would be scared to death to spend that much money on a used vehicle.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 27, 2019 02:16PM
max

The song has ruined me. Now I can't see one of those pickups without thinking about the guy cheating on his girl. Her rage playing out by causing superficial damage to his real girl. His truck.

Well I dug my key into the side of your pretty little souped up 4-wheel drive.
Carved my name into his leather seats.
I took a Louisville Slugger to both headlights.
Slashed a hole in all 4 tires.
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 27, 2019 02:58PM
vision63
max

The song has ruined me. Now I can't see one of those pickups without thinking about the guy cheating on his girl. Her rage playing out by causing superficial damage to his real girl. His truck.

...now THAT'S country!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 27, 2019 03:05PM
And it will be called the GOLDerado. *bling* *bling*
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 27, 2019 03:06PM
Every day, OVER 10,000 people turn 65. Even if only 1% try RVing, that’s still a HUGE number, many who will buy a trailer (5th wheel, bumper pull or gooseneck) or a motorhome, based on a Ford E-450 or F-450 (or comparable models from GM or Dodge). A Class 4, MDT (Medium Duty Truck) is often the “entry point” needed to pull / power the BIG RVs that are now common. I was at an RV event this past weekend where an RV builder told us that for years now, Ford has wanted to “kill off” its’ E-450 cab chassis van. Said van is still very much a base platform for many RV builders so, Ford keeps making them (as well as its’ “F” line of pickups). I find it interesting that. Chevy is using the term “Heavy” Duty in that, Federal DOT refers to VERY SPECIFIC GVWRs to classify trucks (and a 450 does NOT make the grade). Ford stopped using “Heavy” Duty years ago and, now uses phrase “Super Duty” ( a Ford F-750 IS a TRUE Heavy Duty Truck by Federal DOT standards). “Standard” C-Class RVs May well make up the lion’s share of motorhomes.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 27, 2019 03:08PM
Saw a guy at work last year who is a pipeline welder. His 'rig' is a HUGE truck with a 10KW diesel engine welder on the back along with a lot of other hardware. And the truck ?
F550 body with a sleeper cab modification, 4wd (well, 6wd actually), extended bed, custom everything he built up himself. Probably worth in excess of $250K.

A truck is a tool. Except for those wannabe tools who just drive them to look like a cowboy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 27, 2019 03:18PM
...now THAT'S country!

POMTL!

Except for those wannabe tools who just drive them to look like a cowboy.

There's always at least one hater in the crowd, with too much time on their hands worrying about what other people wear, drive, whatever.

Now if you were complaining about guys who hang rubber testicles off the trailer hitch or bumper, you might have had sumpthin'.

I don't drive a truck, don't care for them.

A guy driving around in huge p/u with fancy tires or jacked up, or a 4x4 with huge mud tires, never having loaded plywood or sheet rock, or so much as been down a dirt driveway – just doesn't bother me. It's their preference and their money.

Why do people get so worked up about 'looks'.

Oh, forgot – soccer moms in SUVs. Another scourge that needs to be wiped from the face of the earth.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 27, 2019 03:32PM

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: June 27, 2019 03:42PM
I have heard that all Toyota Tundras, even the big-looking ones, are 1/2 ton. Is that right?
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 27, 2019 03:47PM
RAMd®d
Oh, forgot – soccer moms in SUVs. Another scourge that needs to be wiped from the face of the earth.

Is there a definition for this "scourge", or an image?

Daughters best friends family just bought a Denali XL 6 months ago -- all 4 of their kids play soccer -- they maybe could have bought a mini-van.

Denali had more room and power, especially to tow their jet skis

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 27, 2019 03:53PM
Around these parts, farmers’ ‘Cadillacs’ are their bling, bling fancy pickups.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 27, 2019 03:58PM
cbelt3
A truck is a tool. Except for those wannabe tools who just drive them to look like a cowboy.

yup. it's the price of admission nowadays to wannabe tough guy. no more hot rodded cars, it's all dually or crew cab trucks with big-ass tires. not unlike each group who has their own admission-to-the-club standards.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 27, 2019 04:16PM
hal
vision63
max

...now THAT'S country!

Agreed, great song.

It is what it is.
Date: June 27, 2019 04:23PM
Speedy

Back in 1980 I was care taking a ranch. A guy was leasing it and we would herd cattle in his big Cadillac. He would always say, "My wife is going to kill me."
Date: June 27, 2019 04:49PM
Is there a definition for this "scourge", or an image?

Merriam-Webster and others have the definition of 'scourge'.

I would have thought /sarc tags unnecessary but apparently not. Context is everything.

Or at least worth of consideration.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: jh
Date: June 27, 2019 06:49PM
Dennis S
Speedy

Back in 1980 I was care taking a ranch. A guy was leasing it and we would herd cattle in his big Cadillac. He would always say, "My wife is going to kill me."

LBJ would sometimes use his Lincoln Continental convertible to tour his Texas ranch--sometimes taking White House reporters with him.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 27, 2019 08:10PM
I wonder if for $100K GM would be willing to design door hinges that do not require pin and bushing replacement every few years.

Like they have for decades.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 28, 2019 05:20AM
just my 2¢: for $100K, it better have a C U M M I N S™ diesel engine.

(forum nannyware has banned the C*****s brand name!) facepalm

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 05:23AM by MrNoBody.
Date: June 28, 2019 11:27AM
just my 2¢: for $100K, it better have a C U M M I N S™ diesel engine.

I think Dodge has an offering.

The last time I saw one, a woman bought it to pull a single horse trailer. I don't think she needed nearly that much torque.

But that thing sounded like it was crushing rocks. If she wanted to talk to somebody, especially the clown at the drive thru, she had to shut it off. And this was a brand new truck that she'd put a couple of thousand miles on.

How can anybody live like that? LOL

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 28, 2019 02:20PM
Is the RAM in those trucks user upgradeable?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 29, 2019 07:33AM
Why buy?

If prices hold I'll be leasing a Tacoma in July for ~$300/month, everything rolled in (tax/tags/dealer fees)
2 years/24,000 miles, free maintenance, no disposition fee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018