advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What is the personal Mt. Everest you climbed?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 28, 2019 11:58AM
Did you climb something literal, figurative, both?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is the personal Mt. Everest you climbed?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 28, 2019 11:59AM
550 mile hike over six weeks.

Would do it again in a moment.

Longest pub crawl I've ever been on winking smiley

Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 28, 2019 12:01PM
I quit smoking in 1983.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2019 12:20PM
Recovery from a near fatal traumatic brain injury. Almost 20 years and still working on it.
Lost a decade of memory (what happened in the 90's ?)confused smiley
Lost 1/4 of my IQ (D'oh !)huh smiley
Lost the ability to easily remember stuff (I take notes. Where did I leave that note ???)surrender
Emotional stability it shot to heck cursing smiley
Damn near got divorced a few times because of all of it.. judge smiley

But.. I'm the luckiest man in the world. smiley-signs003
I'm alive. shiner smiley
My wife and I love each other. emoticon_love
My children love me.smileys with beer
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 28, 2019 12:24PM
I quit being single and carefree.
Married, Mortgage, Multi-kids = My Mt. Everest

Still climbing at the moment. Once kids are out of the house and mortgage is paid off, I can rest at the peak with the wife and admire the sunrise. Hopefully I don't die along the way and my body mummifies into a piece of frozen beef jerky.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 28, 2019 12:24PM
I hiked solo from Bishop, Ca to Mt Whitney in the mid 80s long before the internet made researching such a hike easy. Whitney was hard, but Forrester Pass at 13,200' was harder. In all, it was 126mi over 20 days and lots of layover days at the nicer places. These days, kids on the PCT would do that stretch in 5 or 6 days or so, but for me, speed wasn't the priority.

I climbed the face of Lover's Leap in california with the help of very skilled climbers. That was a 5.7 route I think - the single pitch of 5.10b I'm VERY proud. That's smooth vertical wall. Couldn't have done either of those without expert help. I think every pitch of the Dawn Wall climb was rated much harder - that gives me some perspective that most don't have of what an amazing feat that was.

And I quit smoking.

If I was a mother, I would include giving birth - that's a biggie imo.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 28, 2019 12:25PM
Did the Ascent to Wintergreen. The road up to Wintergreen resort in VA is about 6.x miles long with an elevation change of about 2700 feet. Some road grades were 14%. I shot for under an hour. I did it in 59 minutes. I was done.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 28, 2019 12:34PM
Hiked the road to/from Waipio Valley in the Big Island of Hawaii.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2019 12:35PM
....climbed every....mountain.....ford....every stream.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: timg
Date: June 28, 2019 12:41PM
No Mt Everest for me, but we did drive up Haleakala in the middle of the night in a rain storm to see the sun rise ...

at the appointed time, the grayness that surrounded us at the time just got a bit brighter. never did see the sun ... oh well, live and learn, eh?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2019 01:25PM
Oh.. and for mountains...

As a kid we climbed all over the Wasatch and Uinta moutains in the summers. We climbed Mt. Whitney as a family on a California trip. That was fun. No technical, just scrambling up slopes and sliding down the snow field on the way down. My butt was COLD after that.

And here's the story of my favorite mountain climb in Baluchistan back in 1989:

We three young engineers set off in a 6x6 Unimog truck , driving up a wadi (dry river bed) in Baluchistan. We had to get to the top of a small mountain with a view of the missile site along the Arabian sea where we were conducting an all night survey using satellites (pre GPS), and testing the ability to see satellites overhead with heavy binoculars. Armed with backpacks and equipment we boldly set ou.

After reaching the foot of the mountain (maybe a 2KM high peak, not a big deal) we met a young boy who was chivvying along a small herd of camels and goats. After much discussions in Urdu/Pashto, we learned that there was a good trail. And set off.

And didn't find it. OK, fine, I've got some mountaineering experience. I used the binoculars, found a good pitch that didn't require any technical climbing that I could see, and we headed off.

And after a couple of hours of scrambling, a tiny bit of free climbing (I had some nylon line in my pack that helped), we reached the top of the mountain. We were hot, tired, and badly scratched up from those damn thorny bushes that cover the desert.

To find the boy and his herd happily camped at the peak. Drinking tea. And heard him laughing uproariously, pointing to the actual ROAD that led up the back of the mountainside.

I hung my head in shame, accepted the tea and the teasing of my colleagues, and sat on a rock. After that experience, heavily sweetened tea with boiled camel milk was like ambrosia. Then i took a nap.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 28, 2019 02:00PM
Much more mundane, but I’ll still plant my flag. big grin smiley

Four days to clear out the accumulated detritus (furniture and clothing handled earlier by movers) from two, one bedroom apartments, plus storage closets, with ten years living between them. One of them a second floor unit. Singlehanded.

Slept on the floor. Cold cuts and soda from the fridge for the duration (No car and Uber wasn’t even a bad idea at he time). One small dolley.

Got it done. Had to do emergency triage on the bring-it-home luggage for weight issues. Still missed my flight. Slept overnight in the airport until the next flight.

If I ever run into any of the passengers in the seats surrounding mine, I owe them an apology and a drink. I was no doubt less than springtime fresh.

Only took my back two months to heal. burnout smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2019 02:01PM
....have planted a.....freak flag......a few times.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 28, 2019 03:08PM
Proving many naysayers wrong by succeeding in a field at the highest levels despite having what many said was a disqualifying handicap.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: tortoise
Date: June 28, 2019 03:17PM
freeradical
I quit smoking in 1983.

Another former smoker albeit in 2005 for my quit date, most difficult challenge and also most rewarding accomplishment in my life.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: June 28, 2019 03:26PM
3d

Still climbing at the moment. Once kids are out of the house and mortgage is paid off, I can rest at the peak with the wife and admire the sunrise. Hopefully I don't die along the way and my body mummifies into a piece of frozen beef jerky.

Just a step or two ahead of you here, 3d. Mortgage gone 2 years ago, empty nesters for 3 years now, not even pets. We go do what we want, when we want. Only obstacle is work. Janet works about 45 hours a week, and my job is based on 50.
Been spending our money on bigger vacations, and hope improvements. This year's expense is siding on the house. Next year will be daughter Jenn's wedding.
So not totally free and clear, but much more flexibility with finances lately. Kinda liking it.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 28, 2019 03:46PM
Early 70's, jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. This required a certain amount of intestinal fortitude (or craziness; your choice). winking smiley

I made a total of 11 jumps and, never made it off the "dope rope" (aka static line; now, newbies make tandem jumps tethered to an instructor). When I get down to 225#, I plan on jumping again! smiley-excited001
Posted by: hal
Date: June 28, 2019 03:48PM
Ombligo
Proving many naysayers wrong by succeeding in a field at the highest levels despite having what many said was a disqualifying handicap.

Yeah, when you talked about your career in photography the other day (I just assumed you were a newsie)... I was thinking, 'isn't this the guy with one hand??'

I find REAL photography (with a real camera and LOTS of settings that have to be RIGHT) to be fricken HARD to do with two hands. I can't quite imagine how you did it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 28, 2019 04:16PM
hal
Ombligo

Yeah, when you talked about your career in photography the other day (I just assumed you were a newsie)... I was thinking, 'isn't this the guy with one hand??'

I find REAL photography (with a real camera and LOTS of settings that have to be RIGHT) to be fricken HARD to do with two hands. I can't quite imagine how you did it.

It really wasn't that hard even back in the days of manual cameras. To get an idea, pick up a 35mm camera (imagine it to have a shutter speed dial and shutter release on top of the body). Cradle the lens in your left hand (the one I have) with the lens resting between your thumb and forefinger. those two now control focus and aperture (f-stop). Your middle finger should now be in the vicinity of the shutter release and speed dial. Finally your ring finger and pinky wrap around the end of the camera body to lock everything in place. (ironically I don't have a way to just show you in a photo since I don't have a camera with me)

It actually became harder when everything went digital. Controls moved to the back where I couldn't reach them, so my nose and tongue got a workout in order to keep the camera near my face. I thought AF would be a boon, but it introduced issues of it's own. I often just kept the camera in manual focus.

Like I tell my students, I grew up using one hand, this is the way things are supposed to work.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 28, 2019 04:55PM
No Everests for me. Twice recovering from what I now assume is mental illness is probably as close as it comes. Mental illness is weird. You're you, but a bizarro version of you where you're convinced of things, mostly about yourself, that are fictitious.

I wish I could figure a way to help someone else out of that state but I have no verifiable advice that could help, other than getting as far away from those debilitating circumstances as you can. Sadly, that option is rarely perceived to be available to affected people, because of the illness itself. Catch-22.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 28, 2019 04:58PM
Although I did some ultradistance events when I was much younger, last year I reached the peak of my abilities. I climbed two 14ers (White Mountain Peak and Mount Whitney) in 3 days last year at the age of 64.

A month earlier I completed the Markleeville Death Ride (130 mile bike ride, 16,000' of climbing. I'm planning to do it again in 2 weeks.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 28, 2019 05:08PM
Involved bike riding. Riding a 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k distances

Also riding 200k or longer at least once per month for 12 consecutive months
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 28, 2019 05:28PM
Professionally, in the mortgage biz days, I wrote a loan processing/packaging program that printed the best laser printed forms ever made. Literally pixel perfection on every form. Problem was, for various Truth-in-Lending forms, you needed to provide an Annual Percentage Rate (APR) calculation. There wasn't a loan processing program available that could calc the APR directly from the info that was present in the program. My brain kept saying, "there;s gotta be a way...".

Everybody that used a loan processing program back then had to go outside the program and use a third party calculator to generate the Fed mandated APR. I hooked up some of the greatest tech and math minds in the country with trying to solve how to calculate the APR. All to no avail until late one night when the smartest of the smartypantses finally convinced me that the solution had to be iterated, and could only be iterated. By then, I had created a scripted solution within my program that could capture the necessary data, and run the iterations, then put the answer in the necessary field(s), but it still wasn't what I envisioned.

When "Midnight Mike" jolted me into reality that fateful night, I told him, "thanks, you've just told me the secret to solving the problem, by clarifying that there's no possible mathematical way to directly calc the APR...". It had just dawned on me to stop trying to calc the APR directly, and figure a way to calc the necessary iterations instead. A few hours later, Everest had been scaled. All of the lenders I dealt with were happy as clams with our pixel perfect forms, which probably should have been Everest enough, and then scripting the APR to keep everything within the program was a damn stellar achievement. Identifying a Herculean task, and not giving up until it was truly solved was like conquering Everest made of chocolate.

Competition from the internet pretty much forced me out of the mortgage biz in the mid 90's, along with a couple of reconstructive back surgeries, so I only had about ten years to enjoy the accomplishment. OTOH, had I/we put all those hours spent towards solving the APR conundrum in pursuit of other money-making endeavors, a sizable contribution to a nest egg probably could've been made. I doubt it would have been nearly as psychically rewarding.
==
Posted by: zachdog
Date: June 28, 2019 05:43PM
I hiked Longs Peak in Colorado in 2008, but it took two days instead of one.

Day one - made it to the Boulder Field at around 11,000 feet and got pummeled in a hailstorm. Retreated to the base, found a laundromat to dry out, and stayed in a hotel room.

Day two - got up at 12:30am and summited at 8:15am. Got pummeled by hail near tree line on the way back down. At least I packed some beers in the pack to enjoy.

That's still one of my favorite experiences. It was damn hard.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 28, 2019 07:49PM
Two for me, but not with mountains:

When I was 17, I bought a little 2-seater Thunderbird, my first car. I wanted more power, so I thought about putting a more modern, big Ford motor in it. I was working at a Cadillac dealer at the time, and all the hotrodder mechanics said it couldn't be done. So, of course, I tackled it, slaving over it every waking hour for three months, and it ran like a scared cat when it was done. Taking the mechanics for rides, letting them drive it and seeing the grins on their faces as they were pushed back in the seat was a high point of my teenage life.

The other was more recent. I had a severe deformity in my left shin bone that led to a fracture back in the early 70s which never healed, requiring a brace to keep it from folding under my weight. About 7 years ago I found a doc in Seattle, the first who wasn't intimidated by the problem, so I let him have at it. He cut out the bad bone, realigned everything, and stuck a 1" titanium pipe inside the bone, from my knee to my ankle. Recovery was brutal, but I weathered it, and have had no trouble with it since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 07:50PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 29, 2019 08:57AM
Gosh, after reading this thread, I would be embarrassed to post about the lowly mountain ‘peaks’ I managed to walk/scramble up.

My toughest achievement was getting my daughter from birth to now 29 years old. She was birthed with renal failure and came home at 60 days of age and weighed 3.5 kgs. when I began to perform dialysis six days a week for 10 to 12 hours each day, albeit interspersed with numerous stays in the hospital having surgeries and subsequent recoveries. Dialysis is not easy and certainly not problem free, especially so in an infant or young child. She got a successful transplant at 5y 9m but still required years of speech, physical and occupational therapy. She is making plans for her wedding which is scheduled for next summer. I will be a very proud father of the bride.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 29, 2019 01:37PM
Speedy
Gosh, after reading this thread, I would be embarrassed to post about the lowly mountain ‘peaks’ I managed to walk/scramble up.

My toughest achievement was getting my daughter from birth to now 29 years old. She was birthed with renal failure and came home at 60 days of age and weighed 3.5 kgs. when I began to perform dialysis six days a week for 10 to 12 hours each day, albeit interspersed with numerous stays in the hospital having surgeries and subsequent recoveries.

Easily as impressive as attaining any peak on this or any other world. You have every justification for being full of both pride and joy.

Speaking more seriously for myself, I’d have to say making it through some two or three years of severe plantar fasciitis. At its worst, painkillers every two hours to just barely get through the workday, then couch/bedridden until the next morning. Tears some days, but, thankfully, going to that darkest place only once.

Finally found the right custom orthotics and I’ve made it back to a place where the walker’s retired and if I were to forget or lose my cane, I’d no longer be like a tortoise on my back.

Can’t remember the last time I refilled my painkillers and have no plans to do so.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 29, 2019 01:47PM
DinerDave
3d

Just a step or two ahead of you here, 3d. Mortgage gone 2 years ago, empty nesters for 3 years now, not even pets. We go do what we want, when we want. Only obstacle is work. Janet works about 45 hours a week, and my job is based on 50.
Been spending our money on bigger vacations, and hope improvements. This year's expense is siding on the house. Next year will be daughter Jenn's wedding.
So not totally free and clear, but much more flexibility with finances lately. Kinda liking it.

Dave

Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 30, 2019 02:59PM
A lot of impressive "Everests" in this thread! Persistence seems to be a trait we all have in common.

Early "Everest" was a solo bike tour in Colorado in my mid twenties. I had torn my ACL earlier in the year, knee was touch and go. Had to "babysit" the frame builder that was building my touring bike, did get to polish and refine my frame lugs though.

Hitched a ride with my parents to near Aspen and spent a week there with a friend acclimatizing to the altitude. On departure day, I got just twenty or so miles down the road before being "whooshed" off the road by a passing Winnebago. Even before I finished tumbling in the gravel, some nice folks stopped and took me straight to the hospital in Glenwood Springs. I had road rash pretty bad on my shoulder that had to be washed out and my front wheel would not spin in the forks without rubbing.

I'll be honest, I immediately tried calling my friend in Aspen to ask her to pick me up, I was going to ship my bicycle back and hitch hike home. I was ready to bail. But she was not home and had gone to a weekend gathering, so I was on my own.

I got myself to a campgrounds for the night and the next morning set about repairing my front wheel. It wasn't pretty but the wheel spun freely. I stayed another night and left the next morning.

I stopped several times as I peddled back towards Aspen and tried calling my friend with no success. I got to the fork at Carbondale and stopped for one more call. Still no success. This was pre-cell days… With great trepidation, I took the fork that went away from Aspen and continued on my original trip to Durango. Banged up, sore, dusty, bum knee, and all.

And with every mile I pedaled, I became a stronger person.

The tour ended up being delightful. Plenty of tales for a longer format so I won't bore you. Suffice it to say that I became a much more resourceful, self reliant, and stronger person which has served me ever since.

Later "Everest" has been the last three years of health issues. I am happy to be alive.

=wr=
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 30, 2019 04:49PM
wave rider
A lot of impressive "Everests" in this thread! Persistence seems to be a trait we all have in common.

I have to agree. Some fascinating stories and triumphs.

Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 01, 2019 09:50AM
This is one tough group!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 266
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018