The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U murder 2-3 blocks away form me
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 29, 2019 07:37PM
O/P here: [forums.macresource.com]

it's been almost 3 weeks now.

Wife is reading the local newspaper (I didn't read the article yet) and apparently they have no leads yet. I find it strange that these days someone can commit a murder and leave no traces.

Usually there are security cameras, OK this was a residential complex and probably no security cameras. Still, it appears she went home for lunch that day, which was not her usual routine. The working theory is that she went home to meet with this person. You would think there would be a phone call, text, email, etc. You can't set up an appointment with someone and leave no traces.

I don't know how this works, but I would imagine the police can get subpoena to have phone logs from her phone company. I would assume police can also break into her email (gmail, comcast, etc. or work email). I cannot conceive that a company would deny police access to emails in cases like these. But I could be wrong.

I know Apple may not be willing (or simply they cannot) unlock her iPhone. Or maybe she had an android. Not sure what would Google or other phone manufacturers do in cases like this. Still, going back to cell carriers, I would assume most would comply and provide logs in cases of murder. Or maybe she messages through facebook, WhatsApp, etc. Would Facebook cooperate with police?

Hope they find this murderer(s) soon.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U murder 2-3 blocks away form me
Posted by: DP
Date: June 29, 2019 08:12PM
It's possible the police have some leads but don't want to reveal anything that could spook the perp...

I'm sorry this happened so close to you, s-t. Too common these days.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 29, 2019 08:12PM
When presented with a court issued search warrant, I expect companies would roll over and provide EVERYTHING that said warrant specified.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 29, 2019 08:38PM
Very often, the police have a suspect but release no information because they are pretending the suspect is a helpful witness until such time as they have the goods on them. Usually this happens when the suspect is a husband, lover, ex-lover, that sort of thing. I guess the idea is to not scare the suspect away, and to lull them into saying too much because they think they are in the clear. I can't count the number of times that mysterious deaths that supposedly have no clues turn out to be the person closest to the victim.

Posted by: max
Date: June 30, 2019 01:13PM
space-time
O/P here: [forums.macresource.com]

it's been almost 3 weeks now.

Wife is reading the local newspaper (I didn't read the article yet) and apparently they have no leads yet. I find it strange that these days someone can commit a murder and leave no traces.

Usually there are security cameras, OK this was a residential complex and probably no security cameras. Still, it appears she went home for lunch that day, which was not her usual routine. The working theory is that she went home to meet with this person. You would think there would be a phone call, text, email, etc. You can't set up an appointment with someone and leave no traces.

I don't know how this works, but I would imagine the police can get subpoena to have phone logs from her phone company. I would assume police can also break into her email (gmail, comcast, etc. or work email). I cannot conceive that a company would deny police access to emails in cases like these. But I could be wrong.

I know Apple may not be willing (or simply they cannot) unlock her iPhone. Or maybe she had an android. Not sure what would Google or other phone manufacturers do in cases like this. Still, going back to cell carriers, I would assume most would comply and provide logs in cases of murder. Or maybe she messages through facebook, WhatsApp, etc. Would Facebook cooperate with police?

Hope they find this murderer(s) soon.

Real life is not CSI: New Jersey.
Very often police are too lazy, or too incompetent....
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 30, 2019 04:21PM
Statistics show that most women are murdered by someone they know, about half the time an intimate partner. It is possible they have a suspect but are collecting evidence to have a more likely outcome for a conviction.

Let’s say the motive was financial, the perpetrator could be spending money on ill gotten gains like the Menendez brothers. The lavish spending came into play during the trial. They killed their parents in August of 1989 and were not arrested until March of 1990. In that time the brothers ate at expensive restaurants, spent lavishly, and travelled. Not saying the deceased has a similar case, just pointing out murders sometimes don’t get solved until the perp benefits in some form.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 30, 2019 05:54PM
Very often police are too lazy, or too incompetent....

Or a criminal isn't stupid.

Or people believe in the ENHANCE key and that all crime is wrapped up in 43min.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 01, 2019 03:01PM
.....no.....Columbo......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 01, 2019 04:58PM
Investigators will have several cases to work at once and will prioritize. Evidence takes weeks to process and DNA evidence may need weeks for a lab to return results.

If it's not immediately apparent who the murderer is and witnesses aren't coming forth and it's not a high-profile case then it can take months before they're ready to make an arrest.

If they request info from tech companies, they will generally get it within a couple of days. Apple will provide someone's iCloud data on demand from law-enforcement.
[arstechnica.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 05:02PM by Sarcany.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018