advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Topical CBD oil for basal thumb arthritis - does it work?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 30, 2019 10:38AM
I know a few members have some experience with CBD. I’ve got basal thumb arthritis in my left thumb, making it pretty difficult at this point to play guitar. I’m in the process of trying to get some of my songs recorded while I can still play but it’s getting to be almost impossible to play chords at times. Some of my compositions were a bit challenging to play, even when I was younger, so I’m hoping CBD topical oil might help. I’ve been hesitant to ingest it due to warnings that there is no research on its effects yet but even if topical application isn’t as effective, I thought if it provides any help it would be worth it.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Topical CBD oil for basal thumb arthritis - does it work?
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 30, 2019 12:36PM
I had a dentist who had arthritis in her hand say her rheumatologist recommend turmeric for her inflammation. I have started taking it, but it has only been a couple of days, so can’t say how much it helps.
I have not tried the CBD oil.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 30, 2019 12:48PM
I have cured two frozen shoulders with DMSO and cayenne pepper.
Date: June 30, 2019 01:10PM
rgG
I had a dentist who had arthritis in her hand say her rheumatologist recommend turmeric for her inflammation. I have started taking it, but it has only been a couple of days, so can’t say how much it helps.

I used to take turmeric capsules but didn't really feel much different, however, I have been thinking about starting up again. Is there any brand of capsule that you find more helpful or do you just use what you find in the spice racks?

JoeM
Date: June 30, 2019 01:12PM
Dennis S

Thanks Dennis. I will take a look into both.

JoeM
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 30, 2019 01:16PM
JoeM
Dennis S

I intuitively used cayenne. Lots of athletes use DMSO. My UPS driver said lots of drivers use it. My rancher uncle used it back in the 60's.

It will get hot. Just wipe it off when it does. Then reapply later.
Date: June 30, 2019 04:40PM
Dennis S
JoeM
Dennis S

I intuitively used cayenne. Lots of athletes use DMSO. My UPS driver said lots of drivers use it. My rancher uncle used it back in the 60's.

It will get hot. Just wipe it off when it does. Then reapply later.

Ok I’ll give it a try. Thanks a lot!

JoeM
Date: June 30, 2019 05:17PM
JoeM
rgG

I used to take turmeric capsules but didn't really feel much different, however, I have been thinking about starting up again. Is there any brand of capsule that you find more helpful or do you just use what you find in the spice racks?

I just bought the Sprouts Grocery brand capsules. I read that the spice has a bitter/pungent taste so I thought the capsules might be better for me.
Tart cherry juice is also supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 05:18PM by rgG.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 30, 2019 06:38PM
Make sure turmeric capsules also includes black pepper which greatly boosts absorption.

[www.healthline.com]

=wr=
Date: June 30, 2019 06:57PM
wave rider
Make sure turmeric capsules also includes black pepper which greatly boosts absorption.

[www.healthline.com]

The Sprouts ones do.

Date: June 30, 2019 07:16PM
rgG
wave rider

[www.healthline.com]

The Sprouts ones do.

wave rider and rgG - thanks a bunch, I'm going to pick some up.

JoeM
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 30, 2019 07:27PM
another option might be diclofenac gel. It is a prescription here in the us, but otc elsewhere, it is a prescription NSAID that you put where you need it. Low danger to liver or kidneys.
Date: June 30, 2019 10:15PM
Racer X
another option might be diclofenac gel. It is a prescription here in the us, but otc elsewhere, it is a prescription NSAID that you put where you need it. Low danger to liver or kidneys.

Thanks, that’s interesting. I’m already taking Celebrex which helps quite a bit but hadn’t heard of diclofenac gel. I’m going to be getting started with a rheumatologist and will ask about it.

JoeM
Date: July 01, 2019 12:33AM
JoeM
Racer X

Thanks, that’s interesting. I’m already taking Celebrex which helps quite a bit but hadn’t heard of diclofenac gel. I’m going to be getting started with a rheumatologist and will ask about it.

I just started the 1% gel, my partner uses the 3%.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 01, 2019 10:43AM
You've got DMSO, cayenne pepper, turmeric, tart cherry juice, black pepper, diclofenac gel...

Doesn't anyone have input on the original OP question? CDB oil?
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: July 01, 2019 12:12PM
DeusxMac

I do; I've found it extremely effective for inflammation - below is what I posted re using CBD topically from the recent CBD oil thread here last week:

Another vote here for Charlotte's Web. I use their extra strength drops topically; applied directly to the skin it's amazingly effective for muscle soreness and soft tissue hurting' -and it works really fast. I've never tried any other brand.

I had initially used it as directed sublingually under the tongue, which was pleasant enough, but after a few weeks I wasn't sure that method was really doing much for me. I got the bright idea to mix some of the CBD oil w/coconut oil to make my own topical ointment (Charlotte's Web also offers a cream product w/ a whole bunch of ingredients in it). I started cautiously at first since I didn't know how my skin would react to it. Little by little I increased the ratio of CBD to coco, until I realized that I had no problem w/ just using the CBD oil straight/uncut on the skin at pain sites. The first time I applied it neat (to shoulder, foot) I was totally sold. A few drops applied to the skin works like magic.

When I've done something to hurt myself pretty bad, I've found the effect of the oil to fade away after about an hour. Reapply, and its magic works again. For me, it's fantastic stuff. I had tried a few different types of topical before, including some Chinese herbals that had maybe a little tiny bit of benefit for me, but ultimately were not worth bothering with. This CBD oil is in a different league for me, its effectiveness is consistently dramatic every time it's needed. And after using it on/off for most of this month, I'm positive it's not placebo effect that's doing the job. So a happy customer here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2019 12:16PM by Psurfer.
Posted by: dk62
Date: July 01, 2019 08:16PM
Psurfer

And after using it on/off for most of this month, I'm positive it's not placebo effect that's doing the job. So a happy customer here.

Unless you've done several blinded tests you cannot exclude placebo effect. So you would actually need to find a suitable placebo (same feeling on the skin and, in the absence of a helper, same look) and design a way to do blind testing.
Date: July 01, 2019 09:14PM
DeusxMac
You've got DMSO, cayenne pepper, turmeric, tart cherry juice, black pepper, diclofenac gel...

I brought up the diclofenac gel as it is mature, well understood and proven. I have NOTHING against any of the other suggestions.
Date: July 02, 2019 05:03PM
Psurfer
DeusxMac

I do; I've found it extremely effective for inflammation - below is what I posted re using CBD topically from the recent CBD oil thread here last week:

Another vote here for Charlotte's Web. I use their extra strength drops topically; applied directly to the skin it's amazingly effective for muscle soreness and soft tissue hurting' -and it works really fast. I've never tried any other brand.

I had initially used it as directed sublingually under the tongue, which was pleasant enough, but after a few weeks I wasn't sure that method was really doing much for me. I got the bright idea to mix some of the CBD oil w/coconut oil to make my own topical ointment (Charlotte's Web also offers a cream product w/ a whole bunch of ingredients in it). I started cautiously at first since I didn't know how my skin would react to it. Little by little I increased the ratio of CBD to coco, until I realized that I had no problem w/ just using the CBD oil straight/uncut on the skin at pain sites. The first time I applied it neat (to shoulder, foot) I was totally sold. A few drops applied to the skin works like magic.

When I've done something to hurt myself pretty bad, I've found the effect of the oil to fade away after about an hour. Reapply, and its magic works again. For me, it's fantastic stuff. I had tried a few different types of topical before, including some Chinese herbals that had maybe a little tiny bit of benefit for me, but ultimately were not worth bothering with. This CBD oil is in a different league for me, its effectiveness is consistently dramatic every time it's needed. And after using it on/off for most of this month, I'm positive it's not placebo effect that's doing the job. So a happy customer here.

Surfer and DeusxMac, thanks for the extra info. I figure I now have a few different topical to try. It's worth a shot to see if anything will work topically. I will report back as I go along and let the group know what did or didn't work in my case.

Thanks again, everyone!

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018