advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Baseball fans: What do you think of this plate collision?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 08, 2019 10:10AM
Poll
28 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
What do you think of this plate collision?

[deadspin.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 10:14AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Baseball fans: What do you think of this plate collision?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 08, 2019 10:18AM
He could really mess up his shoulder running into the catcher that way. Better to lead with his spikes.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 08, 2019 10:46AM
Part of the game.

Looks like the catcher was blocking the baseline. Yes, he wasn't 'on it' but he sure had his foot on it.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 08, 2019 10:46AM
Saw the video. It was going to be rough stuff regardless, but if looked to me like the catcher shifted to his right to make the catch, and the runner had already committed to juking in the same direction to avoid the tag. Coincidental mayhem, not premeditated brutality.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 08, 2019 11:00AM
Do I try to win or lose? I think I'd try to win if you're blocking the plate.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: July 08, 2019 11:35AM
I'm torn.

The runner has the right of way in a direct path to the plate. If the catcher is blocking the plate then the runner can try to go through him.

BUT, this hit and many others seem to be aimed high at the catcher's head and not low in a direct line towards the plate. Those types of hits directed to the head are against the rules even in football.

Athens, OH
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 08, 2019 11:38AM
Catcher has the right to catch the ball and be in the base path while making a play. If the ball wasn't there, he can't block it.

Runner wasn't sliding and he wasn't trying to juke. He lead with his shoulder. Both the out call and ejection were correct. Suspension should follow.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 08, 2019 12:24PM
Cheap play like that took Buster Posey out of the game for a while and led to the rule change. Suspension is warranted.

=wr=
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 08, 2019 12:38PM
wave rider
Cheap play like that took Buster Posey out of the game for a while and led to the rule change. Suspension is warranted.

It's not cheap. It's from the very origins of the game of baseball. Part of it's fabric. No player ever complained about because they all did it. We did it in little league, high school and college. They took away spiking. That was enough.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 08, 2019 01:14PM
......he can....DISH it.......but can he......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: July 08, 2019 01:16PM
That's a good legal play, but it shouldn't be. Other sports are taking out plays that lead to obvious concussions. Baseball doesn't have many, but this is one of them and it should be addressed by the league and the players union.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 08, 2019 01:48PM
Watching the slow-mo, the runner clearly plants his left foot in an attempt to both slow down and redirect himself to the right and around the catcher. He also seems to twist his body to try and go around the catcher. It looks like he led with the shoulder, but the alternative was face-to-face. At first I thought it was clearly a bad move, but watching the different slow-mo angles, I agree with the statement he made.

The article says "That makes this an obvious violation of the home-plate collision rule, which states, “[a] runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher.”" It's not a violation because it doesn't look like he tried to initiate contact.

The runner said "For me, I was running and I see him take a step kind of up the line like he’s going to drop and go back so I tried to take an in-step and slide head first on the inside corner. And I watched the play again and it looks like he just drops right in front of me and once I kind of made a decision it was too late. And it was a bad play, and I hope he’s OK.”

That seems like what I'm seeing. There's also a nearly instant response to check on the catcher - something I don't think would come so quickly to someone who intentionally did that.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 08, 2019 02:03PM
I thought this thread was going to be about recent earthquakes and plate tectonics.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 08, 2019 02:28PM
I agree with the runner. And he should have been called safe.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 08, 2019 02:32PM
GGD
I thought this thread was going to be about recent earthquakes and plate tectonics.

I appreciated the laugh
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 08, 2019 04:54PM
Getting hit in the head by a beanball ain't what it used to be, either … and if there WAS a problem with that play, the score will be settled sometime. Now that's baseball…
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 08, 2019 05:03PM
Great call! The runner clearly diverted his path AWAY from Home Plate and almost leaves his feet to make head to head contact. His move left him out of range of contacting the plate except for the collision. Obvious in slo-mo as the runner quickly scrambles to touch home plate. His left foot while running and making his diversion was three feet away from the foul line on the INSIDE on the infield.

From the article:

Marisnick did take a step to his left, toward the infield and away from the baseline, just before barreling into Lucroy. That makes this an obvious violation of the home-plate collision rule, which states, “[a] runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher.” Marisnick was called out on the field, and review upheld the decision.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 08, 2019 07:07PM
Angel fan to start with, also die hard baseball geek from the 1950's.

That said, catchers pretty much ditch their mask/headgear as soon as they turn into a defensive fielder after readying to receive a pitch as the catcher. Now let's just say the catcher wore a hockey goalie's type of catcher's mask, rather than the two piece, pie plate style that was being worn, and that he still had that full face/head goalie's mask on for this play....

Anybody here think the runner would have played it out the same way ? ? ?

Now vote.
==
Posted by: michaelb
Date: July 08, 2019 09:40PM
I agree that it seems more complicated and not obvious. The instant the runner plants his foot to go inside, the split second before the catcher moved outside and stepped on the line and reached outside, as if the throw was going that way. That the catcher stayed inside and caught the ball inside was not clear at the moment the runner committed inside.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 08, 2019 10:58PM
Not worth it for a regular season game.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018