advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rental Car Review
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 09, 2019 09:53AM
Wife and I rented a Ford Escape SE Ecoboost this weekend for a trip to the mountains of West Texas and New Mexico, less than 1000 miles on the Odo.

The Escape was plenty powerful and felt faster than my Mazda3. Ride was comfortable for a long drive, but not exactly sporty. CarPlay was great. Had an extra USB port in the cubby. When we had no signal, my iPod nano fed us tunes thru that port. 2 power ports, one in front. one in back. Back seat was pretty roomy for car based on the Ford Focus.

The cabin was pretty airy, big windows compared to my Mazda; the somewhat higher view still can't help me see over the huge SUVs and Trucks prevalent here. Cloth seats were comfy, but not very supportive.

My one shock...mileage. You'd think with a 1.5l turbo, it would get pretty good mileage, but I wound up with 23.5 overall. My Mazda with a 2.5 Stick got me 39 on the way to Dallas, 35 on the way back from Shreveport.

The car felt heavier than I feel it should for its size. On turns and on braking. There was a disconnectedness I felt, like everything is "fly by wire".

Would I buy one? I don't know. I've been looking at Hyundai's and Kia's lately. I'd rate Ford as a second tier quality company, Below Toyota and Honda, but above GM/VW. About equal to Mazda/Hyundai/Kia.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rental Car Review
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 09, 2019 12:11PM
Hmm, I thought the whole point of the ecoboost was to get better MPGs.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 09, 2019 12:28PM
I get close to 28 HWY and 25 average with my SUV, and its way bigger/better than an Escape.

Mazda3 have always had good mileage -- 39 must have been all downhill ;)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 09, 2019 01:25PM
Was there an "ECO" setting you missed? I just had that happen on a Kia rental.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 09, 2019 02:29PM
FWIW: A few weeks ago Hertz gave me Nissan Versa, pretty basic compact car, but it got 42 MPG on my highway driving trip. No CarPlay, no center console, analog speedometer and tach (not even sure why it has one, it was an automatic).
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: July 09, 2019 03:44PM
They gave you the EcoDrag mdl.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 09, 2019 05:31PM
mikebw
Hmm, I thought the whole point of the ecoboost was to get better MPGs.

Ecoboost is just marketing for a turbocharged engine. So yes, in theory you should get a bit better mileage as the engine is smaller, lighter, but adding a turbo lowers the fuel mileage when you step on it hard enough to have positive boost. Back in the day, I was told that if engine X got 25 mpg, the same engine X plus turbo would get about 3 mpg less. Not sure if that still holds true.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 10, 2019 08:39AM
Rolando,

The gas mileage isn't a surprise. The auto manufacturers can claim and do whatever they want but I still firmly believe even compact SUVs like the Escape, forester, CX-5, and RAV4 should not have a 4 cylinder engine, regular or turbocharged. They suck gas. Even my CX-7 with its turbocharged 4 banger sucks gas.

They are _much_ better with a plain ol' six banger. All you need to do is compare the power and smoothness of a RAV4 with a six cylinder engine to any competitor with a regular 4 cylinder or turbocharged 4 cylinder. The difference is immediately apparent. Quieter. Smoother. More powerful. you pay a price in gas mileage but the difference is minimal and _well_ worth the price of admissions.

Toyota discontinued the RAV4 with the 6 banger. My parents have one and they get calls from dealerships regularly for their vehicle. They are high demand in the used car market.

Robert
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 10, 2019 01:33PM
Another thing I forgot to mention is Engine Stop/Start! I can't think of anything worse for your motor/battery/starter than constantly stopping and restarting! There are hacks to permanently override this "feature" for Fords, probably for others as well.

I think a larger 4 cyl. would be ok, I just don't know why everyone expects a "chick truck" to be fast. As much as I love Mazdas, the CX7 was kind of a pig, like other wide body two row SUVs. Really way heavier than they should be. My MPV with a Ford 3liter 6 was way faster than I needed it to be (when empty) and got mid twenties on long road trips with 6 people in it! I don't know why anyone would prefer a CUV/SUV over a minivan, except may off roading. Even then, the AWD Toyota Sienna will beat most FWD CUVs!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018