advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Advice from you gear heads? Chance to buy a '72 Triumph TR6
Posted by: DP
Date: July 10, 2019 04:55PM
No pix of the vehicle but the widow of my friend that died three years ago has two of his vehicles left. He had a "Garage Mahal" of several cars which he had been selling off after he and his now widow downsized. He took excellent care of them so I know it should be in decent shape but we think it may need a solenoid or new starter.

Now, I understand when the 6 was crammed into that engine bay, something had to give and it sounds like the starter needs to be accessed thru the instrument panel! Also, it hasn't been started in two years.

The car has 36,000 miles and she will let me have it for $10K. I'm not up to speed on these but I've seen some in good shape for $30K (US models) so it could be a real bargain.

Edit: Image from the internet that the car looks like. Same color and wheels:

As an addendum, the other car is a '67 Corvette hard top with a 327/350hp 4-speed with the side pipes. She thinks that should go for about $70K!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Advice from you gear heads? Chance to buy a '72 Triumph TR6
Posted by: davester
Date: July 10, 2019 05:13PM
$10K is a steal for a TR6 in excellent condition with only 36k miles. A starter/solenoid diagnosis is easy peasy. These cars are very simple to work on and parts are readily available.

Since it hasn't been started in two years you need to go through a number of steps prior to attempting to start it. Here's a typical checklist, though this might be a little bit of overkill: [www.mgexp.com]

That checklist actually omits and important point, which is that you should remove the spark plugs, squirt a very small amount of oil through each spark plug hole, disconnect the coil lead and turn over the engine without starting until oil pressure is up to the middle of the gauge. If you don't do this you could severely damage the engine since it would start up with all the bearings and sliding parts unlubricated. This happened to my brother, who started his Austin Healey (now my Austin Healey) after letting it sit for several years. Result of "dry starting" was scored bearings and badly scuffed pistons and cylinder walls.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 05:28PM by davester.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 10, 2019 05:27PM
Seems to me you’ll likely spend $20k before all is said and done to get it fully restored, especially a Michigan car.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Z
Date: July 10, 2019 05:32PM
Agree with Davester - price is good for low miles in good condition.
Date: July 10, 2019 05:32PM
Speedy
Seems to me you’ll likely spend $20k before all is said and done to get it fully restored, especially a Michigan car.

It goes without saying that if there's even a speck of rust on the car all bets are off. There are a number of TR forums around (here's one: [www.triumphexp.com]) that can provide you with assistance in checking out the car, and especially to tell you which trouble spots to look for.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 10, 2019 05:42PM
Is there gofund me page for repair costs? ;)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 10, 2019 05:46PM
My sister bought a '73 new and after a few months I took it over. It was really cool looking and the sound was great. It was lots of fun to drive. However, I had it in January and it leaked so much air, I kept a cold the whole time. It was in the shop a lot. I let my sister had it back. My brother was sixteen and wanted to drive it one day. She said OK but "do not drive it down Main Street." Of course, that's what he did. An old lady who was notorious for backing out without looking plowed into him.

If your mechanical, it will be fun.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 10, 2019 05:53PM
Speedy
.agree
Due to age, the usual suspects will be:
Tires
Hoses
Brake Lines & Cylinders
Fuel Lines
Top 'canvas'
Electrical ( it's British! )

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 10, 2019 05:55PM
If you have a free garage space to work on it and you can verify it doesn't have structural rust problems, sounds like a fairly good deal. $10k looks like a lower range price for running and complete models from the early 1970's.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 10, 2019 06:03PM
Ask the widow to throw in some engine compartment cats for future needs.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 10, 2019 06:05PM
I'd take the 'vette over that thing any day of the week!

Of course, I'm a GM guy and Detroit iron rules in my camp.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 10, 2019 06:40PM
There are lots of nice used Miatas around for that kind of coin, I'd pass. (From a former MGB GT owner who still bears the scars...)

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Date: July 10, 2019 06:46PM
Rick-o

Well of course, but does that mean you're willing to lend him the extra $60,000 needed to purchase it?

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 10, 2019 07:13PM
davester
Rick-o

Well of course, but does that mean you're willing to lend him the extra $60,000 needed to purchase it?

DP is rich! He doesn't need my cash. He better worry that I may grab the 'vette before he can get to it! smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 10, 2019 07:18PM
Have you ever driven a TR6?
That first is rather steep and the clutch is nothing like what is in these newer cars.
Needs tuning every season. How many seasons do you have?
Ask her where the spoke wheels are.

My brother had a TR4a, GT 250 a GT6 and two TR6's.
The 4a and the GT6 were my favorites.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 10, 2019 07:24PM
Depends on the options and condition of that Vette, but that price may be a wee bit high (could be low if it's cherry). Either car you are likely to get your investment back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 07:24PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 10, 2019 07:34PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
There are lots of nice used Miatas around for that kind of coin, I'd pass. (From a former MGB GT owner who still bears the scars...)

^ This. Miatas were conceived from day 1 to give all the fun of classic British sports cars without inflicting all the associated pain.

Basically it comes down to this: Do you want to share your life with a British-accented dominatrix who will never stop breaking your wallet, your body, and your heart in exchange for the occasional fleeting moment of pleasure, or would you rather have an undemanding companion who is happy to join you without hesitation or complaint in joy rides any time the weather allows?

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 10, 2019 08:00PM
I say RUN AWAY from just about any old British car but I own an old Morris so don't listen to me.

You know, what scares me about old cars is the lack of any airbags and the very questionable brakes on them.

You can get a decent high miles S2000 for that kind of money and you will be 80% safer.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 10, 2019 10:10PM
“Why do the British drink warm beer ?”
“Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.”

Suffered through two years of helping a friend try to keep his MG Midget running. Blech.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 10, 2019 10:26PM
That was my dream car for a while in High School. I'd buy just to be able to look at it.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 11, 2019 04:13AM
I'd buy just to be able to look at it.

And if all you're going to do is look at it, then it's an ok deal.

An old co-worker had a GT6 which I really liked.

He kept smelling something like wire burning but couldn't find a problem. Neither could the dealer.

He traded it on a Trans-Am and two weeks or so later the Triumph burned up.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 11, 2019 06:43AM
I didn't even read any of the thread. Just buy it.
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 11, 2019 07:55AM
Sounds like a steal, so I would seriously consider it. But this is from a guy that had a love/hate relationship with 1967 MGB. The TR6 has notorious rust issues just like the MGB. The good news is I believe every single piece of replacement sheet metal is available aftermarket. Well, that may just reinforce the reputation. It may be hyperbole, but I'm convinced they would rust even in a climate controlled garage. Don't forget to get the bumper sticker -- "The parts falling off this car are of the finest British manufacture". I had it and earned mine. Hood latch failed at speed and my hood didn't just pop up, it also left the vehicle.
Date: July 11, 2019 08:45AM
TLB
Sounds like a steal, so I would seriously consider it. But this is from a guy that had a love/hate relationship with 1967 MGB. The TR6 has notorious rust issues just like the MGB. The good news is I believe every single piece of replacement sheet metal is available aftermarket. Well, that may just reinforce the reputation. It may be hyperbole, but I'm convinced they would rust even in a climate controlled garage. Don't forget to get the bumper sticker -- "The parts falling off this car are of the finest British manufacture". I had it and earned mine. Hood latch failed at speed and my hood didn't just pop up, it also left the vehicle.

"The Italians invented rust but the British perfected it".

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Date: July 11, 2019 10:51AM
Rick-o
davester
Rick-o

DP is rich! He doesn't need my cash. He better worry that I may grab the 'vette before he can get to it! smiley-laughing001

This! All of this! The Vette is sweet but that price is a bit steep. So if Rick wants to help...

I do think about the Lucas electronics but my friend did take really good care of his cars. I would consider getting a modern ignition system for it, tho.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Date: July 11, 2019 11:51AM
DP
Rick-o
davester
Rick-o

This! All of this! The Vette is sweet but that price is a bit steep. So if Rick wants to help...

I do think about the Lucas electronics but my friend did take really good care of his cars. I would consider getting a modern ignition system for it, tho.

This might help: Advance Auto Wire offers a kit to update the wiring in British cars- [www.advanceautowire.com]

Posted by: rgG
Date: July 11, 2019 02:45PM
I ALWAYS wanted a TR 6, but I wanted a car to drive and not to work on.
I bought a Miata that I had for almost 30 years.
As someone else pointed out, a Miata is all the fun with none of the continual work, and I promise you an English car of that vintage will require continual work, no matter how well it was taken care of. Straight off the showroom floor they were guaranteed to need work.
We had Italian cars for years and it was always something. You get tired of that really quickly.
As beautiful as it is, and it is beautiful, I say pass. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 11, 2019 03:03PM
Damn you people, now I’m hankering for a Miata...and there are a couple of really sweet ones nearby. The only saving grace is that I know cars are simply not as fun as motorcycles, and I have two exceptionally cool bikes already.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Date: July 11, 2019 03:25PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Damn you people, now I’m hankering for a Miata...and there are a couple of really sweet ones nearby. The only saving grace is that I know cars are simply not as fun as motorcycles, and I have two exceptionally cool bikes already.

I just sold my Miata last year, for what I considered a steal of a price, but I needed the garage space for my daily driver. Sold it to a friend of my husband, who later sold it to another guy who is thrilled with it.
It was a one owner, always garaged, never wrecked, all original with about 60K on it. Miss it, but just didn't drive it enough and it couldn't be my only car, so had to do it.
Such a fun car to drive.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 11, 2019 03:54PM
I had access to a Miata when I house sat for my uncle for a month. And I mentioned above I had a TR- 6 for a month. All thing being equal, I would get a Miata. Unless you have plenty of money, a garage and tools, and love to work on cars. But, that Triumph sure is cool looking.
Date: July 11, 2019 08:59PM
You drove a manual trans car, Rhonnie? I'm impressed! Not many women will drive one...

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 12, 2019 01:20AM
My partner is trying to get her uncle's '68 Jeep CJ with, yes, a factory Buick V-6 225 and a 3 speed stick. She has driven a stick since she was 6. Yes, 6. Started with back-hoes and dump trucks at her grandfather's gravel pit. Was driving the family Willys off-road when she could reach the pedals and see at the same time.

Those new Jeep Gladiator pick-ups really should have a Buick 350 under the hood, or its not a real Jeep pick-up.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 12, 2019 01:52AM
My sister drives nothing but cars with a manual transmission. I think more women do so then most men realize.

For a few years her summer car was a Spitfire. At the time she was married to a foreign car mechanic, so that made things easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 01:57AM by $tevie.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 12, 2019 10:16AM
$tevie -
For a few years her summer car was a Spitfire. At the time she was married to a foreign car mechanic, so that made things easier.

Spitfire?? The poor hubby's honey-do list must have been ghastly smiley-shocked003
big grin smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 12, 2019 10:54AM
Not really.

Date: July 12, 2019 11:49AM
DP
You drove a manual trans car, Rhonnie? I'm impressed! Not many women will drive one...

Yep. Got a couple of friends to teach me in high school. I learned on an old VW bug and a little bitty Fiat.
I had to teach a co-worker how to drive a stick in a company car she had. That was fun, lol.
The Miata was a super easy stick to drive, but a couple of our other cars, my husband’s toys, had clutches like a log truck. I didn’t like to drive them because it could lead to extreme knee fatigue, if you got stuck in stop and go traffic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 11:50AM by rgG.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018