Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looks like the updates 13" Macbook Pro is quite peppy
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 11, 2019 12:56PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

Apple promised its newest 13-inch MacBook Pro would deliver faster performance than the previous model. But we weren’t expecting to be up to 83% faster!
That’s the kind of speed increase you’re getting with the latest model, according to early benchmarks. It gives existing owners a massive reason to upgrade — even if they have no interest in the Touch Bar.

Apple has packed the latest, eighth-generation Intel Core i5 chip into the new MacBook Pro. The entry-level model is clocked at 1.4GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz.

What’s particularly important to note about the new chip is that it boasts four processing cores. The seventh-generation Core i5 that powered the previous model offered just two.

In Geekbench tests, this makes a huge difference. Its single-core score of 4,639 is only 6.8% higher than the 4,341 recorded by the 2017 MacBook Pro, but its multi-core score is a whopping 16,665.

That’s an impressive 83.4% increase over the 9,084 points scored by the previous 13-inch machine.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looks like the updates 13" Macbook Pro is quite peppy
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 11, 2019 01:00PM
.....ladies are hungrily awaiting the 16" one......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2019 01:28PM
I would wait until someone gives it longer stress tests to know if it throttles back severely on long tests like all the other recent ultra-thin Intel laptops.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 11, 2019 01:53PM
That comparison is extraordinarily misleading. It's not a comparison to the next-latest MBP, but rather to the 2018, which is only a dual core machine. So it's a comparison between two cores and four cores! Really shabby "journalism".
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 11, 2019 02:06PM
anonymouse1
That comparison is extraordinarily misleading. It's not a comparison to the next-latest MBP, but rather to the 2018, which is only a dual core machine. So it's a comparison between two cores and four cores! Really shabby "journalism".

Yeah, they dont really get to the "truth" perse until the end:

Of course, these are just benchmark tests — they don’t truly represent real-world performance — and there’s only a handful of results out there for the 2019 MacBook Pro for now.

And the "peppiness" is about multi core benchmarks.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 11, 2019 03:27PM
anonymouse1

Not only that, but the "83% increase" only kicks in on tasks that employ multiple cores -- not something that will have much impact for the average home user.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 11, 2019 05:37PM
I have a quad core 2018 13” MBPr. It’s quite peppy and faster than a recent dual core MBAR.

This same speed bump is now standard on all MacBook Pro models.

It’s a genuine update.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 12, 2019 06:01PM
FYI the cooling system in the quad core 13" MBPros is definitely up to the task. I've done a number of extended tests and yes, they don't maintain their all-core Turbo of 3.8-4.5GHz but they sustain well above the rated 2.4 or 2.8 GHz, only a few hundred MHz below the top Turbo. I assume the cooling is the same in these new 13" MBPs as the form factor is unchanged.

Now the 8-core 15" is another story. I just got to test one yesterday and they don't even come close to maintaining all-core turbo of ~4.5 GHz for more than a fraction of a second. In fact it seems even to turn off or ignore 2 of the cores in most tests I tried and still clocked down to the 3.3 GHz range. It scored lower than a 6-core i& I tested a few months ago. Maybe something was wrong with mine but it did score as expected in Geekbench. But running a Handbrake job (where's Newt?) would only max out at about 70% usage and running a PowerFractal test (remember that?, it was AltiVec Fractal back in the day), also resulted in a *lower* score than the 6-core I previously tested. Weird and I would avoid the 8-core model if the price hasn't already driven you away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018