advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who do we like for alternative cell service providers?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 11, 2019 05:34PM
For some reason, I have been getting a lot of ads for off-brand cell providers lately. It's making me think I should look around a bit.

Some of the plans from Hello, Tello, Mint, etc. look appealing.

I currently have Sprint and am on kind of a "secret" plan for long-time customers that costs $35 and change. It's unlimited talk and text but only 2GB/month data and doesn't include hotspot/tethering which is extra. Usually 2GB/month is enough but occasionally I go over and the data gets r e a l l y slow. Also, I don't need hotspot/tethering often but when I need it, I really need it.

It looks like I can get more for less with some of the off-brand providers (including hotspot/tethering).

There is also a T-Mobile pre-paid service that might work but I'm just not sure about their network.

The only downside to switching is I currently can roam on Verizon which comes in handy in a couple locations. I could be wrong but I don't think that roaming works with resellers who use Sprint's network.

One thing that is an impediment to me switching to another major carrier is all the deals seem to be for two or more lines and I only need one line.

Any recommendations?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who do we like for alternative cell service providers?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: July 11, 2019 05:42PM
Ting looks pretty good to me, if I ever get around to doing something other than FreedomPop.
Posted by: numbered
Date: July 11, 2019 05:49PM
Whistleout will allow you to insert your parameters and see what various people offer. The have a Bring Your Own Phone selection as well as a network choice.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 11, 2019 05:51PM
I'm using Comcast right now. They're an MVNO using the Verizon network.

It's free - except for about $1.37 or so per month for taxes and regulatory fees.

I only get 100 MB of data though. After that, it's $12 per gig.

I can tether without any extra fees.
Date: July 11, 2019 05:57PM
Mr Downtown
Ting looks pretty good to me, if I ever get around to doing something other than FreedomPop.

How is FreedomPop for cell service? I tried their hotspot service and it was absolutely horrendous.

numbered
Whistleout will allow you to insert your parameters and see what various people offer. The have a Bring Your Own Phone selection as well as a network choice.

Thanks!

freeradical

It's free - except for about $1.37 or so per month for taxes and regulatory fees.

I have AT&T U-Verse. They're always trying to get me to switch but they don't have a deal anywhere as good as your Comcast setup. Actually, they don't have any "deals" at all in my opinion.

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: July 11, 2019 06:06PM
I use Ting because I like their tiered pay-per-use model, and T-mobile's network has worked everywhere I've gone. My average bill is $13-ish, but I use no cellular data. If you use more than 2GB, your bill will probably be higher than your current plan, but tethering isn't extra and you shouldn't get throttled. One line or many is fine.

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 06:08PM by Marc Anthony.
Date: July 11, 2019 06:13PM
The only thing I don't like about Ting is they appear to have an introductory price that's good through 2019. Then on 1/1/2020 it gets jacked up--a bunch. Based on the usage I put in, it will jump from $20 to $62/month.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 11, 2019 06:44PM
I've had Google Fi for ~9mo, and it's been great. Just took it down the left coast a ways, and had great service. Customer service is non-existant, but rarely needed.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 11, 2019 07:45PM
I like Tracfone prepaid myself, using Verizon towers. I'm a low data/talk/text user. I estimate $150 will last me for three years. Boosts are available if any of the three buckets run low.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 11, 2019 08:25PM
freeradical

same here. between kid, wife and I, we use about 3-4 GB per month (OK last moth was close to 6). We end up paying about $40-80 depending on how much we use. I keep reminding them to limit cell data...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 11, 2019 09:29PM
I use www.consumercellular.com - My wife and I each have a line with unlimited calls, texts, and 5Gb data for $55 + tax a month. They're an ATT MNVO.

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 11, 2019 09:52PM
mattkime
I use www.consumercellular.com - My wife and I each have a line with unlimited calls, texts, and 5Gb data for $55 + tax a month. They're an ATT MNVO.

$55 each or both?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 11, 2019 09:56PM
space-time
mattkime

$55 each or both?

combined.

Date: July 11, 2019 11:53PM
M A V I C
I've had Google Fi for ~9mo, and it's been great. Just took it down the left coast a ways, and had great service. Customer service is non-existant, but rarely needed.

Using an iPhone? It says Fi for iOS is still in beta.

Posted by: m.paris
Date: July 12, 2019 07:29AM
Acer
I like Tracfone prepaid myself, using Verizon towers. I'm a low data/talk/text user. I estimate $150 will last me for three years. Boosts are available if any of the three buckets run low.

How do you manage that? A year of service time is $125 for a smart phone, although I got a $50 discount last year. I don't use much voice/text/data either (the 1500/1500/1500 that comes with a year of service is way more than I need) but I can't find any way to cut the yearly cost to anywhere close to $50. Furthermore, apparently by the end of the year any phone that is not VoLTE capable will need to be replaced and that will add to the expense for me. If you can provide some additional info I would appreciate it.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: July 12, 2019 11:25AM
We have AT&T traditional family shared plan for 5 of us. I moved my son to his own plan on Mint last year after trying Ting for a couple months. I currently pay $25/month (paid $300 for the year) for unlimited talk/text and 12GB LTE data. After 12GB, the speed drops down significantly. It was the best plan I could find at the time that allowed him to keep the same phone. They are on T-Mobile's network.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 12, 2019 03:43PM
m.paris
Acer

How do you manage that? A year of service time is $125 for a smart phone, although I got a $50 discount last year. I don't use much voice/text/data either (the 1500/1500/1500 that comes with a year of service is way more than I need) but I can't find any way to cut the yearly cost to anywhere close to $50. Furthermore, apparently by the end of the year any phone that is not VoLTE capable will need to be replaced and that will add to the expense for me. If you can provide some additional info I would appreciate it.

Setup an account at tracfone's website...yuou can add a minute card, then add 365 days for $50, then delete the card & just pay for the 365 extension (fees & taxes added)
Posted by: m.paris
Date: July 12, 2019 05:51PM
Aha! I didn't realize that I would have access to the 365 day service card if I bought a minute card first. It does not show up on the regular page. Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018