advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My library provides access to lynda.com courses and ? about wi-fi extenders
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 11, 2019 09:07PM
In my ongoing wrestling match with trying to maintain a couple of web sites (with little-to-no understanding of what I’m doing), I went to a free workshop offered by the Vancouver, BC, library to learn about HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

The best tip I got was that the Vancouver library has a deal with lynda.com so library patrons have access to all of the courses. I’m about halfway through an eight-hour introduction to HTML (and getting a better understanding of what I’m supposed to be doing).

It may be worthwhile to check your local library to see what types of digital resources it offers. The VPL also gives me access to the New York Times.

Now for the hidden-agenda item. Next week my wife and I are vacationing on one of the Gulf Islands (off of Vancouver Island). Our neighbour is okay with us “borrowing” his wi-fi signal while there; we just need to provide him with a wi-fi extender. Any recommendations on a particular brand and model?

Another idea may be to tether the laptop to an iPhone, though the cell-phone reception is spotty, at best. Strategies to boost the signal to an iPhone?

thanks, Todd’s soon-to-be-involuntarily-air-gapped keyboard
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My library provides access to lynda.com courses and ? about wi-fi extenders
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 11, 2019 09:36PM
This is a very good option but there's a bit of a learning curve - [www.ui.com]

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 12, 2019 01:48AM
Just an out loud thought -- would it just be easier to re create those web sites with something super simple like wix?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 12, 2019 12:00PM
jdc
Just an out loud thought -- would it just be easier to re create those web sites with something super simple like wix?

Valid point. I know nothing about Wix and will look into it.

I used to host a couple of Wordpress sites for some friends. In both cases the friends only made one or two initial posts, and then let the sites go dormant. Took them down after they had been hacked.

A big motivator to trying to maintain the sites myself is because it is challenging. I’d like to believe in neurogenesis.

Todd’s challenged keyboard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018