advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
c'mon, man! 12% of British men think they could win a point against Serena Williams
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2019 03:00PM
According to this survey.
7% of women said they thought they could do it.

Neither seems realistic.

[yougov.co.uk]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: c'mon, man! 12% of British men think they could win a point against Serena Williams
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 12, 2019 03:15PM
No freaking way.

Re: c'mon, man! 12% of British men think they could win a point against Serena Williams
Posted by: hal
Date: July 12, 2019 03:25PM
Keep in mind that a lot more than that voted for Brexit :-)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 12, 2019 03:25PM
If she was tied down and only had her big toe able to move.. maybe...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 12, 2019 03:28PM
cbelt3
If she was tied down and only had her big toe able to move.. maybe...

Not likely. She can serve one-toed at 96mph.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 12, 2019 03:29PM
I could. No question.

But I certainly wouldn't pick tennis as the sport that I would compete against her in. Maybe basketball. I might have advantage in field shooting as well.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 12, 2019 03:35PM
Unforced errors. Nobody is perfect.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 12, 2019 03:49PM
Schpark

Being awarded a point and winning a point are not the same thing.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 12, 2019 03:57PM
This would make a great British reality TV show.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 12, 2019 04:23PM
Maybe if you have a wicked serve. But I'd proffer that only 12% of tennis players who compete at a high level may have a chance, not the general population.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 12, 2019 04:24PM
rjmacs
Schpark

Being awarded a point and winning a point are not the same thing.

By that logic, we'd never have another president ;)

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 12, 2019 04:32PM
Kinda depends on where the poll was taken, and what type of men were polled. If the poll consisted of decent club level players and above, up to age 45, and elite level men up to age 65, I'd bet the reality would be well over 90% would win points, if not games, sets, and matches over Serena.

OTOH, if the poll were randos off the street that had never played tennis, 2% maybe, in case there were a few natural jocks in the bunch that might be able to figure it out.

Polls can be easiliy skewed.
==
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 12, 2019 05:25PM
Illusory superiority
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 12, 2019 05:54PM
If she was tied down...

Be still my heart!

Illusory superiority

Exactly!

But if the line of contenders were long enough and I was at the end of that line, a definite maybe!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 12, 2019 06:34PM
DeusxMac
Illusory superiority

I was house sitting a big nice house in the foothills a few years ago. There was a basket set up... there was a basketball. I may be old, but back when I was a kid, I was an excellent basketball player. But I haven't touched a ball in over 25 years.

I looked at that ball and thought to myself, "I bet I still got it."

I used to have a pretty jump shot. beautiful style...

I picked up that ball and I could just feel it. From 20', it was gonna swish - nothin' but net'. I reared and took the shot and the moment it left my fingers, I knew I still had it. That ball was straight as an arrow.

But it dropped 4' short of the rim.

Again, perfect! but four feet short.

Over and over and over again... straight at the basket, but dropped well short.

I finally had a conversation with my brain... 'this isn't bad... we still got this. Just need to adjust a bit. You can do that - right?'

Another shot, another airball.

@#$%&!!!

Ok... TRY to shoot 4' too far. Doesn't work...

AGAIN... doesn't work

AGAIN... doesn't work...

'I wonder what's on TV'

Good idea, brain...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 12, 2019 07:12PM
hal
DeusxMac
Illusory superiority

I was house sitting a big nice house in the foothills a few years ago. There was a basket set up... there was a basketball. I may be old, but back when I was a kid, I was an excellent basketball player. But I haven't touched a ball in over 25 years.

I looked at that ball and thought to myself, "I bet I still got it."

I used to have a pretty jump shot. beautiful style...

I picked up that ball and I could just feel it. From 20', it was gonna swish - nothin' but net'. I reared and took the shot and the moment it left my fingers, I knew I still had it. That ball was straight as an arrow.

But it dropped 4' short of the rim.

Again, perfect! but four feet short.

Over and over and over again... straight at the basket, but dropped well short.

I finally had a conversation with my brain... 'this isn't bad... we still got this. Just need to adjust a bit. You can do that - right?'

Another shot, another airball.

@#$%&!!!

Ok... TRY to shoot 4' too far. Doesn't work...

AGAIN... doesn't work

AGAIN... doesn't work...

'I wonder what's on TV'

Good idea, brain...

but keep at it, and you will get some of that back. it's just being out of practice, like everything else. you'll never be your 18 year old self again, but we know that already. but you may be better than XX age person you would be playing against on the local courts.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 12, 2019 07:32PM
Buzz
Kinda depends on where the poll was taken, and what type of men were polled. If the poll consisted of decent club level players and above, up to age 45, and elite level men up to age 65, I'd bet the reality would be well over 90% would win points, if not games, sets, and matches over Serena.

OTOH, if the poll were randos off the street that had never played tennis, 2% maybe, in case there were a few natural jocks in the bunch that might be able to figure it out.

Polls can be easiliy skewed.
==

Yeah, no details on the actual question.

In a game? No chance.
In a set? 12% is still high, but definitely less than zero.
In a match? Maybe.

Serena blitzes 88 totally, and 12 manage to eke out a single point over the course of a match? Could happen. High school and college players who have kept up their skills, club players, talented amateurs; a sample of 100 including a representative sprinkling of such, 12 might be only a little of a stretch for a single point over an entire match.

Bobby Riggs took an entire match handily off Margaret Court, the top woman player at the time, when he was 55 and she was 30. Yeah, Bobby had skills, but again, here the goal is only a single point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 07:44PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 12, 2019 11:45PM
I'm sure she'll commit one unforced error. Gimme me my money.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 13, 2019 05:24AM
I think she'd take my head off trying to get out the way of her serve!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 13, 2019 10:20AM
Michael

I think this is the most accurate statement! Unless those 12% are skilled players (which I doubt)! 1% is a better number!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 13, 2019 01:14PM
Rolando
Michael

I think this is the most accurate statement! Unless those 12% are skilled players (which I doubt)! 1% is a better number!

If she double-faults once, you win. Don't count yourself out.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 13, 2019 03:37PM

Geeeze, you crack me up!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 13, 2019 05:16PM
by no strange coincidence...

...12% of British men think they have a chance of scoring with Margot Robbie

(In a related statistic 24% of British men report they drink between 10 and 35 cans of beer a week.)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 14, 2019 10:51AM
vision63
Rolando
Michael

Why would she double fault? She's not going to miss any first serves against some random amateur, much less second ones. She's not going to be doing her 120 mph serves against an amateur. Michael nailed it; if you attempt 2 sets she's going to get through the 48 straight points she'll win just trying not to hurt you.

The question, answers and description of the survey audience are in the link in the OP.

If people are being honest and understand the question, the statistically likely outcome for this survey is zero. It was just for fun anyway.
Date: July 14, 2019 12:50PM
Lemon Drop
vision63
Rolando
Michael

Why would she double fault? She's not going to miss any first serves against some random amateur, much less second ones. She's not going to be doing her 120 mph serves against an amateur. Michael nailed it; if you attempt 2 sets she's going to get through the 48 straight points she'll win just trying not to hurt you.

The question, answers and description of the survey audience are in the link in the OP.

If people are being honest and understand the question, the statistically likely outcome for this survey is zero. It was just for fun anyway.

The question was win a point. They're saying she's going to play flawlessly for 6 games. I get to serve too. I'm sure she'll wear me out. No way she doesn't make a single mistake. I want my money. I'd take that same bet against Novak Djokovic

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2019 12:59PM by vision63.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 14, 2019 08:21PM
This is getting enough buzz, I’m surprised no one has asked Serena about this yet. Although, while Wimbledon was going on, it wouldn’t be surprising if she or her handlers might have put junk question distractions like this in the no go zone for the duration.
Date: July 14, 2019 08:43PM
Blankity Blank
This is getting enough buzz, I’m surprised no one has asked Serena about this yet. Although, while Wimbledon was going on, it wouldn’t be surprising if she or her handlers might have put junk question distractions like this in the no go zone for the duration.

I remember Serena and Venus playing a guy in Australia before when they were younger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018