advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Man takes on entire TSA crew at Skyharbor Airport
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 12, 2019 04:35PM
Amazing how much happens in 7 seconds. Someone needs to tell this guy that he won't get on your flight any faster this way.

[www.businessinsider.com]

Five Transportation Security Administration officers were injured after a man barreled through security at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, according to a TSA statement.

The man, who police have identified as 19-year-old Tyrese Garner, is accused of trying to rush through security on Tuesday around 9:45 a.m. Survaillence footage appears to show him pushing through multiple TSA agents, causing them to fall on the ground, and punching several agents.

A group of agents then subdued the suspect.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Man takes on entire TSA crew at Skyharbor Airport
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 12, 2019 04:47PM
looks like he kept his shoes on too!

Posted by: GGD
Date: July 12, 2019 04:55PM
mattkime
looks like he kept his shoes on too!

Look closer, one fell off.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 12, 2019 05:13PM
Couple of TSA blueshirts bit the dust.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 12, 2019 05:19PM
Looks like he hit mostly women agents.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 12, 2019 05:30PM
He will probably be locked up for the rest of his life. I see 5 felonies there at least. Unprovoked assaults on federal agents, hopefully he gets the max sentence.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 12, 2019 05:50PM
He will probably be locked up for the rest of his life.

I seriously doubt that.

Unprovoked assaults on federal agents, hopefully he gets the max sentence.

I hope so too.

That attack is an obvious cry for help.

He's craving structure and regimen and I hope he gets it.

With that many agents, there should have been at least a couple with Tasers to dry stick and light him up.

Taze me bro! Asp me!

And put him on the No Fly Lists for life.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 12, 2019 06:21PM
What was HE the distraction for??? dunno smiley
Posted by: hal
Date: July 12, 2019 07:02PM
I have visualized myself doing that... now I know what it really looks like.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 12, 2019 07:29PM
I like how the agent at the gate steps back and takes it all in like:

"I'm too old for this chit, this is a job for the young people! And fellow agent knocked down at my feet, you're on your own!!"

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 12, 2019 10:52PM
That big guy looks like he might have been defense on a HS or college football team.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 13, 2019 12:39AM
RAMd®d
He will probably be locked up for the rest of his life.

I seriously doubt that.

Unprovoked assaults on federal agents, hopefully he gets the max sentence.

I hope so too.

That attack is an obvious cry for help.

He's craving structure and regimen and I hope he gets it.

With that many agents, there should have been at least a couple with Tasers to dry stick and light him up.

Taze me bro! Asp me!

And put him on the No Fly Lists for life.

20 years per injury causing assault is the max sentence.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 13, 2019 05:21AM
20 years per injury causing assault is the max sentence.

Maybe 20yrs per victim. So what.

He has to actually be sentenced to the maximum, and the sentences to be served consecutively.

The odds of that?

My bet is he won't do ten, maybe not even five.

That's a shame, but if I'm wrong, I'm a happy man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 13, 2019 10:22AM
I think the notion of someone spending a life in prison for having punched a few airport cops after bum rushing a metal detector is ridiculous. It seems authoritarian in the extreme.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 13, 2019 10:24AM
So did he make a 1st Down? They probably flagged the play.
Date: July 13, 2019 10:30AM
rjmacs
I think the notion of someone spending a life in prison for having punched a few airport cops after bum rushing a metal detector is ridiculous. It seems authoritarian in the extreme.

And it also makes a mockery of how harsh prison life would be. What this kid did was serious, but I don’t see above where anyone weighed the risk before passing judgement.

Simple questions like, what’s the likelihood he could have gotten far with or without a weapon? The answer approaches zero, rapidly.
Date: July 13, 2019 10:41AM
We have an addiction in this culture to imagining the worst conceivable thing that someone in a comparable circumstance could have done, or rather than judging what someone actually did, imagining that the person wished or hoped to do something far worse, and judge them on that.

It's among the least charitable things we do in our society, and it amplifies our biases - conscious and unconscious.

It would humanize all of us to consider the actual scope of the harms under consideration - that is, the harm actually, materially caused by the offender, and the life-altering, community-disrupting, personally devastating harm represented by a lengthy prison term.

Sometimes that prison time is earned, and the grievous harms nearly impossible to repair. But we might do well to stop pretending that "injuries" to state authority are tantamount to heretical acts of sabotage against humanity. It's not true, and the consequences of thinking that way are harming us.

rj
AKA
Date: July 13, 2019 11:41AM
Well said, rj.
Date: July 13, 2019 03:33PM
We have an addiction in this culture to imagining the worst conceivable thing that someone in a comparable circumstance could have done, or rather than judging what someone actually did, imagining that the person wished or hoped to do something far worse, and judge them on that.

While I agree completely with the above, the could have should be a consideration to some degree. It's an integral part of being a deterrent for future occurrences.

To unilaterally ignore that is a mistake, just as is unilaterally employing maximum sentences.

Granted, the TSA people are security guards, not police. And airport security has been decried as 'theater' by many. But they, in my opinion, are still lines that shouldn't be crossed, and a message needs to be sent.

So I hope that he gets the maximum sentence. But that won't happen. And if he's sentenced to incarceration, it's doubtful he'll end up serving the full sentence unless it's fairly short.

Squeaky Fromme was paroled having only served ~30yrs of a life sentence and she didn't hurt anybody at all.

That's somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison, but I believe it sent a message. Granted it didn't deter Hinckley, but he had his own basket of squirrels to content with.

So life in prison for this kid? No, but a conviction on all counts (except maybe lesser included) and maximum sentences to be served concurrently would be fine by me. Why maximum? Because there are things you just don't get to do.

It sounds authoritarian, but I believe it's better than that.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: July 13, 2019 04:23PM
RAMd®d

While I agree completely with the above, the could have should be a consideration to some degree. It's an integral part of being a deterrent for future occurrences.

To unilaterally ignore that is a mistake, just as is unilaterally employing maximum sentences.

Granted, the TSA people are security guards, not police. And airport security has been decried as 'theater' by many. But they, in my opinion, are still lines that shouldn't be crossed, and a message needs to be sent.

So I hope that he gets the maximum sentence. But that won't happen. And if he's sentenced to incarceration, it's doubtful he'll end up serving the full sentence unless it's fairly short.

Sorry, there's no parole in the federal corrections system. Inmates with spotless records can request up to 54 days of sentence reduction per year of good behavior.

RAMd®d
So life in prison for this kid? No, but a conviction on all counts (except maybe lesser included) and maximum sentences to be served concurrently would be fine by me. Why maximum? Because there are things you just don't get to do.

I think 20 years imprisonment is excessive punishment. A felony conviction alone will seriously hobble anyone's life.

Our civilization craves compassion, not harsh justice. Continuing to test the effectiveness of performative cruelty in the hopes of crime reduction feels like an exercise in cultural sadism to me. It doesn't work, but it does perpetuate and exacerbate huge inequalities in our society.

I respect you, and your opinion, and am grateful to have this place to discuss such things. Thanks for this good discussion.

rj
AKA
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 13, 2019 06:30PM
Did he miss his flight?

hamster dance

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 13, 2019 07:19PM
mrlynn
Did he miss his flight?

hamster dance

/Mr Lynn

Most likely, but he didn't miss his fight. smiley-music039
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 13, 2019 07:54PM
rjmacs
RAMd®d

Sorry, there's no parole in the federal corrections system. Inmates with spotless records can request up to 54 days of sentence reduction per year of good behavior.

RAMd®d

I think 20 years imprisonment is excessive punishment. A felony conviction alone will seriously hobble anyone's life.

Our civilization craves compassion, not harsh justice. Continuing to test the effectiveness of performative cruelty in the hopes of crime reduction feels like an exercise in cultural sadism to me. It doesn't work, but it does perpetuate and exacerbate huge inequalities in our society.

I respect you, and your opinion, and am grateful to have this place to discuss such things. Thanks for this good discussion.

Maybe none at all if he never did anything before. If there is judicial discretion, of which I don't know. Maybe he had half a good reason. If I'm the judge, I'd want to know.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 13, 2019 11:06PM
I would like to see the video of his interactions for the prior 10 minutes. It exists.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 14, 2019 12:09AM
Despite being only 7 seconds of video, I see something new every time I watch it.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 14, 2019 10:11AM
rjmacs

Looks like a candidate for a psych evaluation first.
Date: July 16, 2019 05:20AM

Actually, parole of sorts still exists in the form of supervised release.

As in parole, a violator can be returned to the federal prison system.

Supervised release may or may not be a condition of sentencing, unlike state parole which is considered after serving some portion of a sentence.

If supervised release isn't granted as a condition of sentencing, yes, the prisoner can still earn time of for good behavior.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 289
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018