advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Medicare card
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 13, 2019 09:39AM
Just received my Medicare card so I guess I'm officially an old fart.

Anyway, cards seem to get destroyed when carried in my wallet. I keep one credit card and one ATM card just in case I need it. Other credit cards are in Apple Wallet, which I've started to use more frequently and more places are accepting Apple Pay. My insurance card is the nice thin, flexible plastic which holds up well. I've laminated my library cards, but apparently that's discouraged for the Medicare card. And I doubt a doctor's office would welcome a picture of the card on my iPhone.

So those of you who have and carry a Medicare card, what do you do to keep in in decent condition? Medicare recommends one of those plastic holders, but that won't fit in a wallet, either. Suggestions appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Medicare card
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 13, 2019 09:48AM
wurm

Anyway, cards seem to get destroyed when carried in my wallet. I keep one credit card and one ATM card just in case I need it. Other credit cards are in Apple Wallet, which I've started to use more frequently and more places are accepting Apple Pay. My insurance card is the nice thin, flexible plastic which holds up well. I've laminated my library cards, but apparently that's discouraged for the Medicare card. And I doubt a doctor's office would welcome a picture of the card on my iPhone.

So those of you who have and carry a Medicare card, what do you do to keep in in decent condition? Medicare recommends one of those plastic holders, but that won't fit in a wallet, either. Suggestions appreciated.

A small sleeve, the sort one often receives with a new ATM card. It will still fit in a wallet, but will protect the card inside from getting too mauled/marred.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 13, 2019 09:49AM
Thanks. I was just thinking the same thing. Still open to other suggestions, but that may be my best option.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 13, 2019 10:01AM
You show it once and should never have to show it again as the number never changes, at least until they use a number not the same as your social security number.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 13, 2019 10:08AM
If you get a Medicare supplemental plan, you'll use that card.

I have an 'Advantage' plan and don't even carry my Medicare card as I am
always asked for the Advantage Card.

old fogey smiley Welcome!! old fogey smiley

Speedy
You show it once and should never have to show it again as the number never changes, at least until they use a number not the same as your social security number.
They no longer use your SSN, that changed last year I believe.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2019 10:09AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: July 13, 2019 10:32AM
I scanned mine and put it on my iPhone, along with the plan G Supplement card and Part D card. If they need to see it, I hand them my phone.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: July 13, 2019 11:01AM
wurm

Not sure who or why discourages lamination, but I laminated mine years ago and have never had any problems with any providers. I did not do the lamination myself but had it done for a couple of bucks at local shop to avoid bubbles or other problems trying to do it myself. Providers routinely scan it and lately the lab where we get blood tests performed started using a computer automated check in system and it accepted my laminated card with no problem.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 13, 2019 11:02AM
....mind palace.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 13, 2019 12:10PM
They discourage lamination with ss cards to make easier to detect forged cards. I guess Medicare card fraud is thing, too?
Date: July 13, 2019 12:16PM
Thanks, everyone. I had to stop by the bank today so I asked them for one of those ATM card protectors.

While not illegal, the Social Security Administration advises that you do not laminate your Medicare card. Lamination may prevent detection of security features.

As for Social Security card, a laminated one won't be accepted if you want to get a new Real ID.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 13, 2019 01:33PM
One reason a laminated card may be discouraged is that they may not go through a sheet fed scanner that is often used on your initial visit. Although, a driver's license seems to go through, but maybe they are made to a specification where they will, while a lamination job might be too thick.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 13, 2019 04:33PM
I keep it in my desk drawer, and carry a photocopy in my belly bag and photos on my phone. Hasn't been a problem, because I opt out of all but Part A, that you can't opt out of. OTOH, our regular insurance card comes pre-laminated, so perhaps Medicare should take notes.
==
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 13, 2019 11:01PM
Laminated - never a problem with acceptance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018