advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Old fridge question
Posted by: DP
Date: July 13, 2019 10:07AM
We have an apartment style fridge at our cottage that's about 15 yo. It's started leaking a little water from the lower left corner onto floor but it only does this when it's filled with food. Empty, it doesn't leak. It doesn't have a drainage pan underneath. And, the weather seems to have nothing to do with it.

The brand is Ewave and it's about 9.5 cu ft capacity. Is it worth getting a tech out to fix it or time to get something new?

Since we're on AirB&B now some guests have put a towel under it and let us know but we can't keep up that situation.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Old fridge question
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 13, 2019 10:11AM
Can you put a drainage pan under it?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 13, 2019 10:39AM
.....It's like a (h)e(at) wave
Burning in my heart
Can't keep from crying
It's tearing me apart....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 13, 2019 10:45AM
Seems odd there's no built-in pan, even a small one. Where would the water go, otherwise?

Would one of those pans intended for underneath a water heater fit? A large black plastic pan could be used in a pinch. I got one at Tractor Supply. It's intended to be the bottom of a rabbit cage. Cheaper than the ones made for water heaters.

Before you spend time and money on an old unit I'd ask your question here -- >> [www.applianceblog.com] Jake or whomever will want the model and serial. Years ago I think I had to make a one-time $5 donation to the site but it was worth it for the attention and smart diagnosis.

In the meantime I'd let renters know you're aware of the situation and that it's temporary.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 13, 2019 11:06AM
Time to defrost it. Let it defrost for 24 hours and hopefully your water problem will disappear.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2019 11:07AM by Speedy.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 13, 2019 11:11AM
If it's humid and getting a lot of use, I'm betting that the door isn't being properly shut. Either that or it's simply open too much. My fridge gasket is going and has a similar problem
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 13, 2019 12:52PM
we had a side by side when I bought this house. the freezer door weighed about 100 pounds. It was full of ice. We defrosted the whole thing and got about 5 gallons of water out of the door over several days of dripping from the lowest corner. I finally took the door off and propped it against our fence and let it thaw in the sun. The ground under it was dark from moisture for well over a week.

It was fine after that for about 2 more years when we replaced it with a Kenmore from the former in-laws. It had a Wankel rotary compressor and it was about 27 years old when we got it. It ran for well over a decade.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 13, 2019 03:08PM
In my opinion, not worth it. A service tech call is probably about $75 or more just to come to the house.

If it has no freezer, room air is getting to the evaporator (it shouldn't) and you are seeing the condensation from that.

If it has a freezer, there has to be a drip pan that came with it. Buy a large tray (for baking cookies) to serve as a drip pan

If the water is coming out the lower left corner at the door, the drain hole inside the freezer is plugged with ice. Defrost it with the doors open for 48 hours and use a small air compressor to blow into the drain tube where it comes out in back. That should clear out the dust bunnies and spider egg that has plugged up the drain line.

I've never heard of or seen an eWave brand. Probably tough to get parts.

DP
We have an apartment style fridge at our cottage that's about 15 yo. It's started leaking a little water from the lower left corner onto floor but it only does this when it's filled with food. Empty, it doesn't leak. It doesn't have a drainage pan underneath. And, the weather seems to have nothing to do with it.

The brand is Ewave and it's about 9.5 cu ft capacity. Is it worth getting a tech out to fix it or time to get something new?

Since we're on AirB&B now some guests have put a towel under it and let us know but we can't keep up that situation.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 13, 2019 04:26PM
From a little research E-Wave appears to have been a house brand for appliances sold through Home Depot made by Magic Chef. Magic Chef was acquired by Maytag, which was later bought by Whirlpool. Parts of Magc Chef were then sold off.

Parts appear to be available through Whirlpool though.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 13, 2019 05:56PM
If it's old enough that more efficient models exist, take the utility rebate and buy a new one.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: qdog2
Date: July 13, 2019 06:24PM
I agree with Modelamac I had to clear the drain in my freezer 2 weeks ago. Everything is working fine now.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 14, 2019 08:36AM
I bought a 10 cu. ft. Best Buy Insignia fridge for under $200 a couple of months ago. I wouldn't invest much in fixing an old one at this point.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 14, 2019 06:22PM
.....we all get old....and then just.....fade away.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018