advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Working for a new set of PC Nazi's...need mail access!
Posted by: Kiva
Date: July 15, 2019 02:43PM
Hi Folks

After a stint in private practice, I'm back working for the man and, apparently, a new set of PC Nazis. At the staff retreat, one fellow staffer saw me with my MBP, approached, me, and commisserated with me on how they only support PC and chromebooks here, he's glad to see another mac guy, etc. Basically, we're on our own.

They do their email through google and when tried to set up the account in outlook, it sent me to the login page asking for permissions and set up fine. it even says that it's 'online'. However, no mail at all and can't send using that account.

Tried mail.app...it wont' even say it's online. Just won't connect at all.

Tried my iphone...when I try to add the account, it goes to the screen where it wants me to select mail/contacts/calendar, etc. and it's greyed out...hangs for a few seconds, then back to the account creation page. That's it.

I use the gmail iphone app and it connects fine.

Some looking around sounds like it's a setting on the admin side to allow the 'less secure' apps? Any other suggestions?

thanks everybody!

----------------------
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Working for a new set of PC Nazi's...need mail access!
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 15, 2019 02:47PM
Not sure if Im missing part of the question -- but... If they do their email thru google, cant you just use google for your email too?

Rather than try to make it work with outlook or apple mail?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: July 15, 2019 03:03PM
We also use google for our email.
I use the Apple Mail on my work laptop and the gmail phone app on my personal iPhone (keeping those work emails in their own little world).
Some people here use web interface on their laptops instead of Apple Mail.
I don't think there was anything special for the setup, but I'm not on the Admin side.
We are 99% Mac.

Steve
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 15, 2019 03:19PM
If you have access to the security settings for your gmail account (signed in via browser), you can allow third-party apps to access your gmail by changing your security settings.

More info here.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 15, 2019 03:24PM
I've found that there's an element of SCSI voodoo in setting up mail clients in a mixed environment. The bugaboo is often in the security settings, where your client uses slightly different terminology than the documentation from the service. It can be a bit of a crapshoot. Try out the several options to see if one will stick.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 15, 2019 03:38PM
1. Outlook does support Gmail, but it's not all there yet. Better to use Apple Mail.

2. Unless you're running an old version of the Mac OS, you don't need to enable "less secure apps," but your admin may well have turned on the security setting requiring app-specific passwords as rjmacs suggests. Try that first.
[support.google.com]

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 15, 2019 04:08PM
Acer
I've found that there's an element of SCSI voodoo i....
ZOMG.. totally triggered me... Having to deal with.. The TERMINATOR !!!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 15, 2019 05:23PM
Appropriate wallpaper might help mollify them

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 15, 2019 05:23PM
Why would you use a Mail app at all if you have gmail?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 15, 2019 07:23PM
Hi Folks

Thanks for the feedback. My deal is that I don't like the gmail web interface. I like having all my email in one place (multiple accounts which, strangely, are all gmail now but others are personal) and seamless with my mac.

I'll look into the app specific password for mail.app. I do have the 3rd party access enabled in the gmail account settings and it says macOS and outlook have access to everything.

I'll report back..thank you again.

----------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 08:59PM by Kiva.
Date: July 15, 2019 09:00PM
Sarcany
1. Outlook does support Gmail, but it's not all there yet. Better to use Apple Mail.

2. Unless you're running an old version of the Mac OS, you don't need to enable "less secure apps," but your admin may well have turned on the security setting requiring app-specific passwords as rjmacs suggests. Try that first.
[support.google.com]

well, in mojave, there doesn't appear to be any place to put the app password in. It just takes you to Safari and you have to put in your account password to verify. It won't take the app password..

ugh

----------------------
Date: July 15, 2019 09:36PM
Kiva
Sarcany

[support.google.com]

well, in mojave, there doesn't appear to be any place to put the app password in. It just takes you to Safari and you have to put in your account password to verify. It won't take the app password..

This occurs when you delete and then try to recreate the account setting in Mail?

...Have you upgraded to the latest version of Mojave? It had a lot of Gmail bugs right out of the gate. Many have been fixed in 10.14.5.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 15, 2019 10:39PM
I use many different gmails, including several education and paid business accounts. Apple Mail works well.
just sit down with your friend and compare Mac settings?
Date: July 15, 2019 11:54PM
yes, i'm going to connect with the other mac user and see what's up.

yes, there is no ability to put in an app password in mojave when setting up a gmail account. I am using the current version of mojave.

----------------------
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 16, 2019 01:12AM
cbelt3
Acer
I've found that there's an element of SCSI voodoo i....
ZOMG.. totally triggered me... Having to deal with.. The TERMINATOR !!!

active was/is the only way to go.
Date: July 16, 2019 06:10AM
Kiva
yes, i'm going to connect with the other mac user and see what's up.

yes, there is no ability to put in an app password in mojave when setting up a gmail account. I am using the current version of mojave.

See if you can set it up as an IMAP account instead of "Gmail."

[support.google.com]

Date: July 16, 2019 03:12PM
This AM at admin meeting the IT guys were there. The IT guy said he needed boss admin authorization to allow my laptop on the network since it's not their laptop (reasonable).

The funny part was when he said, "you know, macs don't play well with windows."

If it wasn't my first day, my answer would have been, "I know, that's why I want to use my mac."

Instead I just told him either it's authorize the computer or the organization is free to purchase a new machine...

I'm not up and running yet, but things are looking up...they say i have to install their remote access software and they can screen share and do what they need to do...

thanks everybody.

ps: IMAP thing didn't work...it sounds like I have to do some g-suite integration with outlook if I want to use that; the directions on their end say IMAP needs to be enabled...

----------------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 03:34PM by Kiva.
Date: July 19, 2019 05:15PM
update....I was able to log into the domain and now have wifi access.

However, big pushback when asking to get outlook or mail.app set up. "this may violate the terms of our support contract with the school". Keep in mind I've been very clear that, once allowed access, I will require no support from them.

The boss still wants them to do it, but, man, are they freaking out. I also found out about 1/3 the staff also have macs they want to use but have always been told no.

stay tuned...

----------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2019 05:16PM by Kiva.
Date: July 29, 2019 12:06PM
another update...they pretty much are refusing to enable the IMAP feature to allow email client access. They are citing a need for a 'policy change'. I have told them that I would require no support - just access. They claim there would be additional costs involved (?).

They guy I spoke to was unaware if, in the g-suite, one can enable IMAP on a user by user basis.

----------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 03:42PM by Kiva.
Date: August 02, 2019 02:06PM
well, not sure how or why, but they caved. IMAP enabled and I'm in business.

----------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 304
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018