AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Pro Display XDR is a BARGAIN?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 15, 2019 04:54PM
[www.youtube.com]

Jonathan Morrison
Published on Jun 8, 2019
My initial review of the Pro Display XDR! Apple's new 2019 Mac Pro is no doubt but I'm most excited for Apple's Pro Display XDR which is a 32-inch 6K HDR Display that pack 1,000 nits of sustained brightness and rivals monitors up to $40,000. Yes, the $999 Apple stand sold separately is inarguably overpriced but even if Apple charged $5,999 and included the stand, it would be a great deal.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Pro Display XDR is a BARGAIN?
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 15, 2019 05:00PM
pRICE cUBE
Published on Jun 8, 2019

I think you already posted this: [forums.macresource.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 15, 2019 05:17PM
jdc
pRICE cUBE
Published on Jun 8, 2019

I think you already posted this: [forums.macresource.com]

That was about the Mac Pro. My current post is about the display.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 15, 2019 05:50PM
It's a very good monitor. It has no competition for the moment. At least until Dell comes out with a newer version of their 8K display with something like 1600 Nits and 12 bit color.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 15, 2019 06:41PM
Yes, the $999 Apple stand sold separately is inarguably overpriced but even if Apple charged $5,999 and included the stand, it would be a great deal.

Yes.

Given the context that it's designed for people how want and/or need it's level of performance, it certainly seems to be a bargain.

Not so much for the poseur who likes to tell every one they have 'the top of the line' of some product and can't even tell you the specific name of the product.

I've seen several comments from people who are in the video industry and not coding websites, who are absolutely crazy about the Pro XDR, raving about the performance and price. And that Sony is something of benchmark, apparently.

With one exception, they all say Apple should have lumped the stand in with the XDR and and charge $1000 more, and nobody (who can utilize or need it) would blink an eye.

Alex Lindsay of Pixel Corp said he (his company) puts all their displays on arms, so a stand just gets tossed.

I would like to see Apple produce a consumer/prosumer display.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 15, 2019 07:51PM
When everyone said they want a new Mac Pro, for Professional work. They really meant prosumer. The amount of people who think they are a "Pro" but are not greatly outnumber the real pros. Just because you use photoshop and work at an ad agency doesn't make you a pro in the sense of what the Mac Pro line targeted towards.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 15, 2019 09:06PM
C(-)ris
When everyone said they want a new Mac Pro, for Professional work. They really meant prosumer. The amount of people who think they are a "Pro" but are not greatly outnumber the real pros. Just because you use photoshop and work at an ad agency doesn't make you a pro in the sense of what the Mac Pro line targeted towards.

The Prosumer Mac is the iMacs now for very sure. I am glad to see that Pro for Apple isn't just a marketing term. The display and the Mac Pro are definitely for pros who are willing to pay for it. This tells me the Mac Pro actually has a future.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 15, 2019 09:39PM
The best thing about this is the potential trickle down. The market for the new Mac Pro and/or the XDR display is very small, but that should be a good thing for all of us. This is exactly what we've been clamoring for...for Apple to be committed to the extreme end of the computing marketplace and not just phones, tablets and wearables.

Sure, they botched the XDR display announcement by breaking out the price of the stand, but all reports indicate it is a phenomenal display a bargain price point for those seeking that caliber of display (not anyone I know).

To me this means Apple is back in the display business. At the very least they should be able to offer a standalone display equivalent to the 5K iMac. Maybe they didn't want to do this before, but with LG discontinuing it seems all the more likely.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 16, 2019 09:50AM
Are you kidding, the price of the stand got Apple a ton of press for the actual display.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 16, 2019 10:18AM
The stand was a debacle. They should have just included it with the monitor and upped the price. The Mac Pro and the Display are well beyond what most people need. I am glad to see Apple taking pro needs seriously.

Posted by: btfc
Date: July 16, 2019 01:13PM
I call that a bargain.....
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2019 04:06PM
...the best I ever had.

The stand was a debacle.

Not to anybody who mattered.

Seriously, the people who will actually buy the XDR don't care.

If one is going to buy the XDR and is concerned about the price of the stand, this probably isn't the monitor for them.

Or get the VESA mount and buy one of the third-party stands that will definitely be available.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 16, 2019 05:28PM
The price - with or without the stand - is a nice piece of tech kit.

I just wish there were good 5k or 6k prosumer monitors, the LG model inventory is basically gone.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 17, 2019 01:38PM
Maybe they priced the stand as such to weed out people who don't actually need the XDR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018