advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going to use Uber for first time
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 15, 2019 05:09PM
Wife made a reservation, I remember in the past seeing discounts for using u er first time. Is there anything I need to do with the app?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to use Uber for first time
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 15, 2019 05:50PM
Make sure you have a working credit card tied to the app.

And tell the Uber driver you are new to the whole thing.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 15, 2019 05:57PM
Have a backup plan. I tried to schedule a pickup at 4:30 AM for a 5:30 flight and they never showed.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 15, 2019 07:21PM
We found lyft to be less expensive
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 15, 2019 07:34PM
I use Lyft, where available, because I don't think sexual harassment should be endorsed by a company's culture.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 07:34PM by M A V I C.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 15, 2019 08:19PM
In a past life, I learned some stuff about Uber operations. Very nasty stuff. Use Lyft

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 08:19PM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 15, 2019 09:13PM
Have someone you know who uses Uber send you a code for a free ride.

I just looked again. If you sign up with my code for example, you'll get $2 off your first 3 rides and I would get a $5 dollar credit. Kinda chintzy.

8xpmjbbnue is my code.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 09:18PM by vision63.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 16, 2019 12:25AM
Don't sign up for Lyft and expect to get a ride that day. I decided to try them out when I couldn't get a local cab company to answer the phone. It took about seven hours for them to approve my account/credit card. Hopefully they have improved things since 2015. The Uber driver was at my door in just under an hour.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 16, 2019 02:19AM
I used Uber for the first time last month. On all 3 rides I took, the driver pulled up in under 5 minutes.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 16, 2019 06:19AM
......make sure to make note of license plate......and don't ask 'are you here for ******?'......instead ask 'who are you here for?'.......

......there have been numerous 'kidnapping/murders' by fake Uber drivers [ mostly women ] but people will just get into a car that looks like an Uber.......when one could be walking into 'stranger danger'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 16, 2019 06:44AM
NewtonMP2100
......make sure to make note of license plate......and don't ask 'are you here for ******?'......instead ask 'who are you here for?'.......

......there have been numerous 'kidnapping/murders' by fake Uber drivers [ mostly women ] but people will just get into a car that looks like an Uber.......when one could be walking into 'stranger danger'......

Never used any ride service other than a local taxicab. Don't Uber and Lyft have driver badges and IDs in the vehicles, as cabs do?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 16, 2019 06:48AM
......yes, but the 'fake drivers' just slap a 'fake Uber sticker' on their car.......there have been numerous stories in the news about woman who just get into a car thinking it is their Uber.....and they end up murdered........just take extra precautions.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 16, 2019 09:38AM
mrlynn
...Never used any ride service other than a local taxicab. Don't Uber and Lyft have driver badges and IDs in the vehicles, as cabs do?

/Mr Lynn
The app tells you what vehicle they are driving, and gives you a photo of the driver. I've used both of them a few times, never an issue. But then again I'm a big old white dude living in the suburbs in Ohio.

Then again I've also taken gypsy cabs in various countries. I guess I look crazy enough that I haven't been messed with.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 16, 2019 09:50AM
Users and drivers generally prefer Lyft when it’s available.

Uber is getting better and is in more cities.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 16, 2019 11:11AM
NewtonMP2100
......yes, but the 'fake drivers' just slap a 'fake Uber sticker' on their car.......there have been numerous stories in the news about woman who just get into a car thinking it is their Uber.....and they end up murdered........just take extra precautions.....

Locally there was a report last year of a female student who was assaulted by a fake Uber driver. They di manage to catch him, but there had been a number of other reports that could not be traced to him before and since.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 16, 2019 01:42PM
JoeH
NewtonMP2100

Locally there was a report last year of a female student who was assaulted by a fake Uber driver. They di manage to catch him, but there had been a number of other reports that could not be traced to him before and since.

It's millions of rides a day happening. Always go by the license plate. The Driver "should" actually not ask for Jim, cuz the wrong Jim can hop in the car. Make sure you know the driver's name. For the young people, don't go begging for food, snacks or water or "do you have an aux cable?" Nobody wants to hear your music.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 16, 2019 09:58PM
For the record, far more and worse things happen to the drivers than to passengers. But the news outlets aren't interested in that sort of thing, and Lyft and Uber sure aren't talking about it, or they couldn't get drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 325
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018