advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pleasant Surprise: 30K Mile VW Service
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 16, 2019 04:34PM
Took '16 Passat 1.8TSI to a local shop recommended by my Audi-Freak friend.
Arrived @ 8AM, out @ 9:30. Genuine VW filters, Castrol Edge PRO OE oil, brake
& tires checked, tires rotated, diag check, road test, etc...

Total $121.00, about $100 less than the stealership!

thumbsup smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pleasant Surprise: 30K Mile VW Service
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 16, 2019 04:42PM
I just had the same 30K service on my 2017 Golf 1.8TSI done at my local VW dealer and the total cost was $162.29, and included a free car wash. I think your VW dealer may be a crook...

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 16, 2019 05:15PM
Bring it to my place with a six pack and I’ll show you how to do all that without getting your hands dirty.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 16, 2019 06:40PM
$121 for an oil change and tire rotation? I get that done for $60 at my local Goodyear.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 16, 2019 06:59PM
C(-)ris
$121 for an oil change and tire rotation? I get that done for $60 at my local Goodyear.

The VW spec 502 oil changes are typically around $90
Date: July 16, 2019 07:22PM
C(-)ris

It's not just oil & tires.
Here's the maintenance chart detailing what's required.

I seriously doubt your 'local Goodyear' will do 6L of Castrol Edge PRO OE and a genuine filter, seal-ring, & drain plug washer for $60. Probably doesn't have a
VWAG-COM/VCDS setup for proper diagnosis/adjustments either.

-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 07:24PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 16, 2019 07:56PM
My 30K service included a brake fluid change. My oil/filter changes at the VW dealer are typically $70.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 17, 2019 08:19AM
Brings back memories of my 2001 New Beetle TDi. Cute car, but when I brought it to the dealership for a 25K service (IIRC) the service guy said I would need new brakes soon, including rotors - about $500.

WTF? New brakes? With new rotors? It’s only got 25K miles!

He said yeah, they make the rotors out of butter at the factory and thin, so they don’t last long.

Didn’t go to the dealership after that, but it was unfortunately still just the beginning of a painful relationship with that automobile. For me, never again. But YMMV.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 17, 2019 08:48AM
pdq
Brings back memories of my 2001 New Beetle TDi. Cute car, but when I brought it to the dealership for a 25K service (IIRC) the service guy said I would need new brakes soon, including rotors - about $500.

WTF? New brakes? With new rotors? It’s only got 25K miles!

He said yeah, they make the rotors out of butter at the factory and thin, so they don’t last long.

FWIW, Had the same experience with Toyota on a new car, except closer to 20K. I could hear they'd gone bad before I went for service. (I think it was improperly-sized factory shims on the shoes, but I digress.)

Ironically, despite Champaigne-grade oil, propietery adjustment tools, and German engineering VW is low-to-middle of the pack in reliability. </sneer>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 08:49AM by Acer.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 17, 2019 11:12AM
Same service is $80 with oil/tire-rotation coupon at my Toyota dealer.

They throw in all of the other stuff with every service.

($290 without coupon and if you're dumb enough to ask for "scheduled service" without itemizing it. Then they charge for everything that's otherwise complementary.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 11:18AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 17, 2019 11:43AM
>Ironically, despite Champaigne-grade oil, propietery adjustment tools, and German engineering VW is low-to-middle of the pack in reliability.

reliability is inherently a backward looking indicator. VW's current line has a couple of years under its belt and is doing extremely well.
Date: July 17, 2019 01:20PM
mattkime
>Ironically, despite Champaigne-grade oil, propietery adjustment tools, and German engineering VW is low-to-middle of the pack in reliability.

reliability is inherently a backward looking indicator. VW's current line has a couple of years under its belt and is doing extremely well.
.this
6-year/72K Mile Bumper-to-Bumper Transferable Warranty
I guess becoming the world's number one automaker was just a fluke.

VW I.D.-R; World's fastest electric car.

-Albert Einstein

Posted by: carl
Date: July 18, 2019 09:10AM
I think the in by 8AM, out by 9:30AM 30K service you had done at a local independent shop was a very reasonable price.

I enjoy maintaining my 2017 VW Golf Alltrack with a 1.8L TSI. My cost for Castrol Edge(spec502) oil and OE filter is about $40. I remove the oil by suctioning it out, which is the VW approved method, so no cost for seal or plug. The filter is also pretty easy to remove since it's up top.

Having a Ross-Tech VCDS cable is also nice.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 18, 2019 10:58AM
Sarcany

The oil is about $50. $10 for the brake fluid. The filter is probably $15. We're at $75. So your Toyota dealer does all the rest for $5? I think not. Environmental disposal fees are higher than that (at least around here.)

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: July 18, 2019 04:37PM
M A V I C
Sarcany

The oil is about $50. $10 for the brake fluid. The filter is probably $15. We're at $75. So your Toyota dealer does all the rest for $5? I think not. Environmental disposal fees are higher than that (at least around here.)

Synthetic. I've priced the oil at about $36, or $22 if I bought online. Dunno what Toyota pays for it, but I doubt it's anywhere near that with the quantities they go through.

Fluids... come out of a wicked-looking pump through coils descending from the ceiling at each station. Again, I expect they're not paying retail.

My state does not have a set recycling fee for motor oil. Different places charge anywhere from nothing to $15. Never been charged a recycling fee for the filter, except when I visited Sears a few years back and they added $3 bucks to the tab for that.

My guess is that it's well under $50 before the 15-20 minutes of labor. (Might be even less time. I've seen them rotate tires in under a minute when they work in pairs.)

With labor, maybe they're breaking even on me.

...But they're charging the next guy almost $300 bucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2019 04:39PM by Sarcany.
Date: July 18, 2019 06:38PM
just a point of reference, 6qts (5.7L) Castrol Edge PRO OE 5W-40 is $64.95 on Amz
(sold by 'VW Parts Ctr'). I wouldn't think an indy-repair shop could get it for much less as it's only sold by authorized Castrol import distributors
(Edge PRO OE isn't mass marketed in North America).
Dealers get it in drums, same goes for the Pentosin FFL-2 DSG lube.

-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 18, 2019 06:48PM
recycling fees are a scam as the shop gets paid for the used petroleum products.
Date: July 18, 2019 11:53PM
MrNoBody
just a point of reference, 6qts (5.7L) Castrol Edge PRO OE 5W-40 is $64.95...

3d party Amazon seller tricks. He's probably buying from Walmart or Costco and shipping direct from them with a premium. Ripoff.

Pro OE is easily found at almost any Audi, VW, Volvo, Jaguar or Land Rover dealer at $7-8 per qt. Call a few dealers for pricing if you think you're better off with it and want it cheap.

...I'm curious as to why you went with it. Recommended by the service-place? Recommended by your dealer?

I keep hearing that the Castrol "pro" label in the U.S. is a gimmick trading on the reputation of the "real" pro version distributed only in the U.K.

Forums indicate that the major differentiator between the non-pro and pro version in the U.S. is just the UV dye to help detect leaks or to demonstrate that the dealer actually did the oil change. The "micro-filtered" label isn't meaningful.

Don't get me wrong: I agree that you saved money over the dealer's service. Like I said, my dealer wants $290 for a service-visit. Silly to pay that much.

I suspect that you could have saved money at the dealer with a little prep work. But maybe it's not worth your time for that or maybe this indie place is better than the dealer.

My dealer has a comfortable waiting room with cookies and donuts and other snacks and a very nice modern coffee machine that makes a couple of hundred different types of flavored coffees. They always quote a 2-hour wait and usually have me out of there in an hour or so. I enjoy going there when I can get a decent price for a service visit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2019 11:55PM by Sarcany.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018