advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ok, should I be jumping on the Fire HD 10 for $99 today, or is it a "meh"?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 16, 2019 05:06PM
I'm a little nervous because our 3 kids (high school and college age) have been using their laptops this summer to watch streaming services (often in bed, lying on the couch, at the kitchen table, etc.). They are careful, but I feel like it's only a matter of time until this wear and tear ends badly for one of them. Seems like spending $100 a piece for 1-3 of the Fire HDs would make sense if they were actually to use it for this. At least for Netflix, HBO Go and Prime Video. That way if something happened, it isn't such a big deal.

But I've never really used one of these Fire devices other than poking around at the store a couple years ago. We have an older iPad Air that is barely usable with some wonky screen issues that aren't really worth fixing at this point. Never really used it much…except for media consumption on planes, trips etc.

Should have done my research earlier because I was thinking about this last week. Just don't want these to sit in a drawer if they are clumsy to use. Any thoughts at the $99 price point?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 05:07PM by datbeme.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ok, should I be jumping on the Fire HD 10 for $99 today, or is it a "meh"?
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 16, 2019 05:44PM
They are fine hardware. Not an iPad, but still decent.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 16, 2019 05:49PM
I bought it. Microcard slot enables hundred of GB of MV4's to be loaded and played. Same for music. If you don't want to go for Prime video or other paid services, it's a good one. Resolution is fine. WiFi, blue tooth, if you plug in the power and mount it on a stand, it becomes a Show.
And Alexa is miles ahead of Siri from all reports.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 16, 2019 05:51PM
Excellent deal for full HD tablet at that price.
No regrets.
==
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 16, 2019 05:53PM
If you think of it as a giant iPod touch... and use it like one then yes, it's a great device. It's no iPad though.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 16, 2019 05:54PM
As long as you dont stray too far from Amazon and streaming apps (nF and hulu) they should be OK.

Not sure if they support HBOGO -- theres no real "app" store. So maybe no games, or email?

Might have to pay $15 each to get rid of lock screen ads.

Im sure they have come a long way since I Bought my kids 10" Nook HDs. Back when they were a good deal, thinking I would save money... they just got tossed in a drawer soon after. Heavy, slow, and even with the google app store just seemed limited. Battery also bit. Preferred o fight over moms iPad Air.

Bought iPad mini 3s -- never put them down. Used for years, until I sprang for new iPads last year. Which also never get put down.

Based on how we use them, Id never buy a non apple tablet...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 16, 2019 05:58PM
It's definitely 100 miles ahead of the old nooks.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 16, 2019 06:00PM
As jdc aluded to, the "with special offers" is really "with annoying ads".

We have a 7", and just bought the 10. It is a deal, though sometimes can be found for a few bucks more.

After the experience we had with our iPad, I don't think I'd buy another Apple tablet again.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 16, 2019 06:04PM
I never found the ads annoying. They're only at the beginning, they don't interfere with whatever you then go on to do with it.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 16, 2019 06:12PM
......it will go the way of the Fire phone.....to 'proprietary' with no benefit......get a cheap iPad.....you can do more.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 16, 2019 06:22PM
$tevie
I never found the ads annoying. They're only at the beginning, they don't interfere with whatever you then go on to do with it.

Except the ads can wake the screen and kill the battery. Kids who accidentally click on them. Sometimes they're inappropriate for kids as well.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: timg
Date: July 16, 2019 06:31PM
jdc
As long as you dont stray too far from Amazon and streaming apps (nF and hulu) they should be OK.

Not sure if they support HBOGO -- theres no real "app" store. So maybe no games, or email?

Might have to pay $15 each to get rid of lock screen ads.

Im sure they have come a long way since I Bought my kids 10" Nook HDs. Back when they were a good deal, thinking I would save money... they just got tossed in a drawer soon after. Heavy, slow, and even with the google app store just seemed limited. Battery also bit. Preferred o fight over moms iPad Air.

Bought iPad mini 3s -- never put them down. Used for years, until I sprang for new iPads last year. Which also never get put down.

Based on how we use them, Id never buy a non apple tablet...

Don't take this the wrong way, but the Nook was Barnes and Noble, not Amazon.
I think it was a very different experience from the Fire tablets.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: July 16, 2019 06:34PM
....at one point Barnes & Noble was a behemoth.......they drove bookstore chains to close [ yes, watch 'You Got Mail' ]........then they got beat by another.....now they are basically 'dead'............so goes the cycle of life.....and hopefully, Amazon [ too much power/monopoly ]......

Posted by: dk62
Date: July 16, 2019 07:41PM
It is fine. I have been using those for a long time just for the purpose you describe. HBO is available as well, you just need to get it at the Amazon app store instead of Google Play. You can also sideload Play store if you want, with caveats.

They are also great for watching on planes, because of the large capacity afforded by the SD card slot. A much better purchase for that need than an iPad (in my house, between two Fires, 8 and 10, and two iPads, Pro and regular, the Fires are seeing much more use).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 07:42PM by dk62.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 16, 2019 07:52PM
It's very easy to install Google Play on the Fire HD. I bought an 8" last year. I don't use it very often, but I think it's a pretty capable machine for the money.
Date: July 16, 2019 08:00PM
....that's what she said.....!!!!

Date: July 16, 2019 08:37PM
timg
Don't take this the wrong way, but the Nook was Barnes and Noble, not Amazon.
I think it was a very different experience from the Fire tablets.

All good, just my take on a non "Apple" tablet.

At the time the HD+ 10.1" was the top of the line Nook. You could get the google play store. Had some good things -- 1080p, SD slot, rubber coating -- but just couldnt perform.

They have a brand new Nook HD 10, looks similar to the Fire 10. It will run google play -- so kind of an advantage over the Fire. But its apparently dead dog slow.

iPads are $250, for me the longevity will more than pay for itself. Sold my wifes iPad Air last year for $75. Trade in on my mini 3 was $125 each. That will never happen with a $100 Fire. The minute you open it the value will drop to $50...

----

Posted by: Acer
Date: July 16, 2019 09:45PM
I love the HD 8. Fabulous for consuming content--surfing or reading or watching video--lying down or sitting. Cheap. Well-proportioned. Lightweight. It can be a little pokey in the speed department, and the battery could last longer, but at these prices who cares. The ads don't bother me personally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 09:46PM by Acer.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 16, 2019 09:53PM
I have an hd10 for a year now. Works fine for what I do - consume content, browse the web...
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 16, 2019 10:44PM
Thanks for all the responses! I know I could find similar info almost anywhere, but you guys have me thinking "why the hell not?" JDC comes across as a voice of reason—which I appreciate because I often agree with what he has to say—but the need for 3 devices will likely be the deciding factor.

I may just order 3 and play around with one for awhile before deciding our family's ultimate fate.
Date: July 16, 2019 11:05PM
You could always buy one now and give it a spin. Odds are they will be the same price (or close to it) again.

Looks like $120 pretty regularly... [camelcamelcamel.com]

----

Posted by: Michael
Date: July 17, 2019 04:04AM
I have an old Fire that I use purely to stream music through our stereo system and I have a newer Fire that I use for travel and going to the pool--places where it's more likely to get banged around and I don't want to put my iPad at risk. I like them reading and watching videos loaded on the SD card but I was also very willing to spring for new iPads at $250 a couple of months ago.
Date: July 17, 2019 06:11AM
....color nook was all the craze......now you use for basic surfing but.......

Date: July 17, 2019 07:27AM
....this.....girl.....is on fire......

Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 17, 2019 08:21AM
Dat,

I use an 8 at my office. It can't replace my iPad Mini 2. No doubt of that. However, for basic consumption tasks such as reading books, streaming media and even a bit of web browsing, it gets the job done. If the 8 is fine for this, the 10 will be just as good, if not better.

One key feature of the not mentioned is the ability to use both of these models an Echo Show. You just have to purchase the charging stand, which includes a stand and a hard case (with charging tabs on it) To use the 8 or 10 as a show, just drop it on the stand.

My 8 is actually used as a show far more than as a tablet. It works nicely for that task by itself.

Would I replace my iPad with a Kindle Fire device? No. I prefer the iOS and the size of the Mini. Nonetheless, the 8 does what I bought it to do and it does it well. No complaints. The 10 I'm sure would do the job nicely, too.

Robert
Posted by: dk62
Date: July 17, 2019 09:20AM
I should add that for my needs, 8 is better than 10 because of the size and weight.
Date: July 17, 2019 09:28AM
......that's not...what she said....!!

Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 17, 2019 12:04PM
Had an 8", and it served its purpose. Snagged the 10" awhile back, and it serves the "streaming tablet & idle game use" segment noticeably better. Screen is actually pretty decent... also have regular iPad, and jumbo iPad Pro. The Fire 10" is definitely NOT gonna take over for the latter, and may not have all the bells and whistles of the former, but the Fire 10" is a carefree alternative. The ads are a non-issue; all my other devices have lock screens, Would I choose another lock screen, sure, but in its own way, it's kinda fun to see something different pop up each time.... I kinda zone out, so it's more of a kaleidoscope effect, than annoying ads, so more of a lemonade thing. It's not an iPad Pro, but it's a heckuva decent $99 device.... kind of a modern day $99 HP Touchpad.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018