advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what is your favorite local Hot Dog brand? (and do you even call it a hot dog?)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 17, 2019 03:31PM
here is mine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 03:35PM by mrbigstuff.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what is your favorite local Hot Dog brand? (and do you even call it a hot dog?)
Posted by: hal
Date: July 17, 2019 03:47PM
local? like regional? I didn't realize there was such a thing...
Re: what is your favorite local Hot Dog brand? (and do you even call it a hot dog?)
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 17, 2019 03:49PM
mrbigstuff
here is mine

Yup, I like that one too.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 17, 2019 04:23PM
Hebrew National
Posted by: Undun
Date: July 17, 2019 04:29PM
Wardynski's and the local king, Sahlen's.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 17, 2019 04:58PM
I'll speak for Rick-O too..

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 17, 2019 05:08PM

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 17, 2019 05:26PM
not really 'local' but I like Aldi's Uncured 100% Angus Beef Frank.
But of course Nathan's (Smithfield Foods) & Hebrew Natl. (ConAgra) aren't local either.

More important is the bun. 'Store bought' buns in general suck.
Local baked, whole wheat are my favorite.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 17, 2019 05:42PM
Ombligo
I'll speak for Rick-O too..

Close! Oh so close! NOT skinless frankfurters, Kogel's Viennas with natural casings. I think you've been gone too long from MI! big grin smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 17, 2019 06:02PM
Hi everyone,

The best dogs are a tie between hot dogs and german wieners from Dietrich's Meats

[www.dietrichsmeats.com]

Nothing else compares, even when they are cooked in a microwave. The difference between a Dietrich's hot dog or german wiener and a store-bought hot dog or frankfurter is tangible before you even cook one and take a bite. Pan fried or cooked on a grill, and a Dietrich's hot dog or wiener is the supreme dog. Heck, they are awesome even when boiled and boiled hot dogs and franks are usually horrible. Nothing ruins an otherwise great hot dog or frank by boiling it.

Store-bought? I prefer good ol' Boar's Head franks but will also go with Hebrew National franks when Boar's Head franks are unavailable.

[boarshead.com]

[www.hebrewnational.com]

Buns? Nathan's buns. Just bumped across them at the local grocery store and they were quite tasty.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 17, 2019 06:20PM
.....the one that is in your mouth.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 17, 2019 07:17PM
Circle S.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 17, 2019 07:37PM

Followed by Nathans.

JoeM
Date: July 17, 2019 07:46PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

The best dogs are a tie between hot dogs and german wieners from Dietrich's Meats

[www.dietrichsmeats.com]

Nothing else compares, even when they are cooked in a microwave. The difference between a Dietrich's hot dog or german wiener and a store-bought hot dog or frankfurter is tangible before you even cook one and take a bite. Pan fried or cooked on a grill, and a Dietrich's hot dog or wiener is the supreme dog. Heck, they are awesome even when boiled and boiled hot dogs and franks are usually horrible. Nothing ruins an otherwise great hot dog or frank by boiling it.

Store-bought? I prefer good ol' Boar's Head franks but will also go with Hebrew National franks when Boar's Head franks are unavailable.

[boarshead.com]

[www.hebrewnational.com]

Buns? Nathan's buns. Just bumped across them at the local grocery store and they were quite tasty.

Robert

I have had Dietrich's and liked them. RM, you should find the Kayem brand, I think you would like them, too. Maybe it's just my taste, or the traditions of eating them, but I do prefer them over anything else.

And, Nathan's, eh. I find the texture wrong, not soft enough.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 17, 2019 08:02PM
There's such a thing as "local" Hot Dogs?

bunny smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: July 17, 2019 08:25PM
From Erie, Pennsylvania:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 08:27PM by Harooneneutics.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2019 09:07PM

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 17, 2019 09:16PM
like the suggestions.

when I am on the road in a different part of the country, one of the things i like to do is browse in the supermarkets. and hot dogs and mustards and sauces are the things I typically like to taste.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 17, 2019 10:25PM

Date: July 18, 2019 06:36AM
Speedy

.....this place has a lot of 'old fashioned wieners' [ jk - no offense ].....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2019 06:36AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 18, 2019 07:19AM
Ambassador Old Fashioned

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 18, 2019 08:21AM
At my backyard grill outs no one ever turns down hot dogs of any type. Serve the cheap stuff first. Serve the good stuff at the end towards the end of my shift on the grill. thumbs up
Posted by: archipirata
Date: July 18, 2019 08:23AM
Schmidt's Bahama Mama Spicy Smoked Sausage
Made in Columbus, OH

Athens, OH
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 18, 2019 08:48AM
Markintosh
There's such a thing as "local" Hot Dogs?

bunny smiley

Yep, still many local/regional meat packers around besides the big national brands. Hot dogs and sausages use up trimmings and they can more easily cater to local tastes. Some sell mainly to the restaurant trade, but do retail as well.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 18, 2019 10:14AM
Seems like everything is from the midwest. I did not notice any coming from the South.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 18, 2019 10:19AM
"All the parts of the __________ {pig, cow, turkey, etc.} you can't legally sell as anything else, ground up and extruded into a tube!"

I'll pass. smiley-signs003

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 18, 2019 10:52AM
Ombligo
Seems like everything is from the midwest. I did not notice any coming from the South.

Don't know about the South, but here in W. MA we have a number of local/regional makers of hot dogs and sausages. Two that come to mind are Worhle's in Pittsfield and Chicopee Provisions in Chicopee - maker of Blue Seal Brand sausage products. Both were founded in the 1920's, Worhle's by an immigrant German wurst maker, and Chicopee Provisions by Polish immigrants.

Oh, and both call them "franks" or frankfurters.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 18, 2019 10:58AM
rjmacs
"All the parts of the __________ {pig, cow, turkey, etc.} you can't legally sell as anything else, ground up and extruded into a tube!"

If you're going to eat high on the food chain, the least you can do is use every part!
Posted by: jimmy d
Date: July 18, 2019 12:05PM
Undun
Wardynski's and the local king, Sahlen's.

35 years after moving from the Buffalo NY area I still think about them and, of course, Ted's.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 18, 2019 12:53PM
Miller's

Safeway Brand

Safeway also sells Casper's, which I haven't tried at home.

Casper's is one of my favorite 'fast food' purchases, but the taste varies from time to time as though they have someone new at the factory controls.

I've always wanted to try Nathan's and Hebrew National, but they're a little more costly, and I think 'Well, I already know that I like my two main 'dogs.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 18, 2019 10:30PM
Cool! Thanks, all. I'll have to bookmark this thread when I travel. But I do look at all the dogs when I travel already ;)
Posted by: qdog2
Date: July 19, 2019 01:44AM
For those who have not jumped on the air fryer trend one of the best thing to cook in an air fryer is a Hot Dog. Any brand. I like to cook them until the case splits. Mustard, chilli, cheese, and onion is my toppings.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 19, 2019 03:32AM
qdog2
For those who have not jumped on the air fryer trend one of the best thing to cook in an air fryer is a Hot Dog. Any brand. I like to cook them until the case splits. Mustard, chilli, cheese, and onion is my toppings.

Setting mine up tomorrow. I might have to splurge on three or four different kind of dogs to try out.

Purely in the interest of science. tongue smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2019 04:01AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 19, 2019 03:36AM
Purely in the interest of science.

It's a dangerous job but somebody's gotta do it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 19, 2019 03:45AM

rjmacs

I see shapes I recognize as letters, and they are grouped into word like clusters. But, the meaning.. I’m afraid they just make no sense to me.

Date: July 19, 2019 11:56AM
mrbigstuff
here is mine

Those are good. Kayem also owns the Deutschmacher brand, I don't know for how long. Those are a bit better to my taste, but have not been able to find them in local stores lately, just the Kayem.
Date: July 19, 2019 12:38PM
....the one in the hand [ a bird in the hand, is worth 2 in her bush ].....

Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: July 21, 2019 04:10PM
Im in New Jersey and I really like Black Bear brand weiners/franks. They're ShopRites house brand. Natural casing and come tied together like we used to get at the butcher when I was a kid. Boars Head and Nathans are good backups.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018