advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has anyone purchased a medical alert device for their parents?
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 19, 2019 08:30AM
Priorities
- works in the yard when Mom is walking dog.
- cellular, preferably Verizon because it has good coverage inside her house

I wanted to get the Lively Mobile Plus but it's been recalled.

I bought the previous generation Lively Mobile on eBay but they have obsoleted it and won't activate (will only support existing accounts).

Has anyone used any of the other devices? Mom's in pretty good shape but I think a fall is our biggest concern.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has anyone purchased a medical alert device for their parents?
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 19, 2019 08:59AM
My MIL used a Phillips device. I can't remember the exact name.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 19, 2019 09:08AM
Would an Apple watch 4 fit the bill? it has automatic fall detection and works with Verizon.

Consider that the subscription cost to most pendants is generally $40/month or more, the watch would pay for itself in less than a year.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2019 02:30PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 19, 2019 10:02AM
It's been discussed briefly here at least twice before.

My mom had a pendant that I think was partnered with ADT. It didn't have a fall-alert feature so it wasn't much of a help when she fell and was unconscious. Their agreement was annoying. Even though she had passed away, they wouldn't cancel the billing for the service until we had returned all the various items my mom had listed on her account.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 19, 2019 10:17AM
Mom had the pendant LifeAlert coupled with a plug-in box, but that's old school these days. Not much use outside the house.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 19, 2019 10:41AM
Here is the one my MIL had.
[www.lifeline.philips.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: macbeergeek2
Date: July 19, 2019 01:30PM
rgG
Here is the one my MIL had.
[www.lifeline.philips.com]

My mom, who is almost 90, got this one about 4 years ago, wears it 24/7, and has used it successfully a few times. She also tests it periodically, which the folks on the other end of the base station speakerphone at Philips seem to enjoy. We researched other brands at the time, and this one seemed to fit her needs best, and the pricing was reasonable.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 19, 2019 06:25PM
Ombligo
Would an Apple watch 4 fit the bill? it has automatic fall detection and works with Verizon.

Consider that the subscription cost to most pendants is generally $40/month or more, the watch would pay for itself in less than a year.

My Apple Watch 4 worked when I fell a few weeks ago. It also asked if I fell when I swung a maul; after I indicated that I didn't fall, it didn't ask again as I continued to swing it. Interestingly, it has never asked when I swing a golf club, even if I've forgotten to start the golf exercise app. I presume it can tell that difference between a golf club swing and a maul against the ground. I don't have a cellular Apple Watch but I always carry my phone so it could call emergency services through that. I bought the 4 just because of the fall detection. I'm getting older and less capable!
Posted by: tortoise
Date: July 20, 2019 09:20AM
Ombligo

Another user here in favor of the Apple watch 4 series. My 93 year old mother had one of the pendant devices that charged $49/month and was a royal PITA. Frequent technical glitches, furthermore she considered the pendant "ugly" and refused to wear it when going out, instead putting it in her purse which invalidated fall detection. As time went on I observed the device was spending more and more time on the charging dock as she really did not like wearing it. I had a discussion with her and we agreed the Apple watch was a better choice as she would always have that on. The learning curve was not too bad and within a month or so she had mastered it. Many additional features on the Apple watch that she loves, the walkie talkie is instant communication between us, and she uses the EKG daily and all the exercise features are especially attractive to her. So in summation we saved considerably by eliminating the monthly $49 charge and I can still check on her whereabouts using find my iPhone for her account which shows both the phone and watch location. Fall detection works well and it just does so much more than the old pendant did and best of all she always has the watch on her wrist.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 20, 2019 01:52PM
Michael
My Apple Watch 4 worked when I fell a few weeks ago. It also asked if I fell when I swung a maul; after I indicated that I didn't fall, it didn't ask again as I continued to swing it. Interestingly, it has never asked when I swing a golf club, even if I've forgotten to start the golf exercise app. I presume it can tell that difference between a golf club swing and a maul against the ground. I don't have a cellular Apple Watch but I always carry my phone so it could call emergency services through that. I bought the 4 just because of the fall detection. I'm getting older and less capable!

i also bought an AW4 for fall detection - and to appease my inner nerd. i haven't fallen yet though the watch does seem to be concerned when I smash a garlic clove. i'm glad i have it. i've become obsessed with closing my rings. nice to walk the dog without my bulky phone.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018