advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Airport Utility: how do you see WIRED network clients?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 21, 2019 08:13PM
I remember the old version of Airport Utility (in Snow Leopard for example) had many options which were removed, I can no longer see those in Mavericks (and probably later OSes)

So right now I have a need to see IP and MAC addresses of Wired clients. I can preview Wireless clients, but I cannot find a way to see Wired clients.

I may be too tired, or too dumb, or maybe they screwed up Airport Utility. I had to use a 3rd party iOS app to find out the wired clients on my home network.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Airport Utility: how do you see WIRED network clients?
Date: July 21, 2019 08:17PM
and I found 19 Wireless devices, most of those are laptops, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, Kindle, Thermostats, IP Cams, etc. I probaly have another 10 or so Wired devices (2 OOMAs, X-box, Tivo, Roku, Apple TV, DVD player, NAS, Raspberry Pi, etc). Unbelievable.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 21, 2019 09:04PM
Airport Utility will only be able to see wired devices that are plugged into the Apple Airport devices being controlled by the application.

It is what it is.
Date: July 21, 2019 09:33PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Airport Utility will only be able to see wired devices that are plugged into the Apple Airport devices being controlled by the application.

I do have 2 devices plugged in directly and several more plugged in via a network switch. None of those appear listed anywhere to be found via the Apple Airport Utility in Mavericks. I believe they did show up in Snow Leopard.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 21, 2019 09:54PM
You can download and install on more recent versions of Mac OS the version of AU that shipped with Snow Leopard.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: July 21, 2019 10:05PM
I use Angry IP Scanner , but it requires java (I use it on older Macs). Another one I've used is IP Scanner.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Date: July 21, 2019 10:10PM
N-OS X-tasy!
You can download and install on more recent versions of Mac OS the version of AU that shipped with Snow Leopard.

That's probably what I will do in the future.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 22, 2019 07:59AM
N-OS X-tasy!

This won't work under current versions of MacOS, FWIW.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018