advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What part of "Don't Approach the Bison" don't they understand?
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 24, 2019 11:33AM
" Girl tossed into the air by charging Yellowstone National Park buffalo "

[news.yahoo.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What part of "Don't Approach the Bison" don't they understand?
Posted by: maco
Date: July 24, 2019 11:50AM
“My brother and I were looking at the hot springs, and we saw a bunch of people running down the path to the bridge. We saw through the trees some people petting the bison, super close,” she told NBC News on Wednesday.

[www.today.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 24, 2019 11:52AM
Visiting Yellowstone years ago, my wife and I were appalled at how many tourists we saw posing close to bison for photos. Idjits.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 24, 2019 12:17PM
"Suicidal Tourists annoy wild animals, pay the price".
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 24, 2019 12:31PM
I think people are so used to living in safety that they forget that danger exists

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 24, 2019 01:01PM
Survived "attack". Is that what we want to call it?

And "Florida"

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 24, 2019 01:04PM
You can't fix stupid...

At this location all visitors are instructed by rangers before they are admitted to the area AND it is CLEARLY, and REPEATEDLY marked with alert signs warning and prohibiting this behavior.
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 24, 2019 02:20PM
Darwin Award nominee....... damn you smiley
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 24, 2019 02:26PM
Warnings are for other people.

Posted by: TLB
Date: July 24, 2019 02:28PM
Decades ago I did the Wildlife drive in Custer State Park. Saw a bison just nudge a car a few vehicles ahead of me. Did visible damage and didn't phase the animal at all. Definitely wouldn't want to have been outside the vehicle.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 24, 2019 02:35PM
When we were at Yellowstone, one was parked right next to the path to one of the hot springs. Rangers had cordoned off probably 30 yards on each side of where the bison was standing. Had to wait for it to mosey off before we could continue. With a good zoom lens, that was good enough...
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 24, 2019 02:41PM
One effect of the decades of underfunding our parks is, the most popular parks are even more overcrowded as lesser known national parks, state parks, even county parks have their facilities closed "for maintenance." Yellowstone in particular is hammered with tourists, but with insufficient rangers and staff to keep everybody safe and the park protected. It's not uncommon for some trail or boardwalk or minor attraction to see hundreds of people dropped off by the busload in the span of a few minutes. People jostle each other, they wait half an hour to use a foul pit toilet, trash is overflowing the bins, they go back to their car but they can't get out of the parking lot because it's all jammed up. Park rangers get pressed into directing traffic where once upon a time they would have been on scene if a bison was that close to a popular trail.

So yeah, getting close to a bison is stupid. But at its root we're talking about disrespecting the wild.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 24, 2019 02:58PM
pRICE cUBE

True dat.

Like all the peeps I see driving while on the cell.

I could care less about 10+ speeding where obvious, but cell phones kill me. Its the distraction.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 24, 2019 03:00PM
Visitor having no more experience with nature than an old copy of National Geographic at the doctor’s office: “This 1,500lb. Murder Cow looks friendly. Go on and stand next to it so daddy can get a photo.”
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 24, 2019 04:02PM
… the selfie craze among some tourist groups puts them into direct conflict with many animals. Just gotta show someone back home that "I WAS THERE!" While it tended to be one particular group of tourists when we were there in May, there were plenty of knuckleheads from multiple sources to go around. The difference is the busloads of tourists all piling out of buses looking for animals to selfie with vs. the SUVs full of "native" knuckleheads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 04:04PM by bfd.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 24, 2019 04:17PM
You can't fix stupid...

Darwin Award nominee

Back in the 80s I was on a shoot at Jackson Hole and we were speaking with a long time resident who was also a Wyoming state senator. He told us that a family got out of the car to take a picture with a bison but it was lying down. After yelling at it to get up, the father went to it and kicked it.

The family was trying to sue the state over the killing of the father...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 24, 2019 04:19PM
Oh boy, she'll have a great story to tell the kids in September! Are there pix for the class to see?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 24, 2019 04:37PM
DP
You can't fix stupid...

Darwin Award nominee

Back in the 80s I was on a shoot at Jackson Hole and we were speaking with a long time resident who was also a Wyoming state senator. He told us that a family got out of the car to take a picture with a bison but it was lying down. After yelling at it to get up, the father went to it and kicked it.

The family was trying to sue the state over the killing of the father...

Not a valid nominee, he had already reproduced.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 24, 2019 05:45PM
When we were in Yellowstone I saw a woman pushing a person in a wheelchair to get closer to a bison. How crazy is that? If the recommendation is say 30 feet for a regular person I would think it would be at least twice that for a person in a damn wheelchair and yet she was getting even closer than a regular person should. I know because I stayed well behind her, at a safe distance. facepalm

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 24, 2019 05:50PM
bfd
… the selfie craze among some tourist groups puts them into direct conflict with many animals. Just gotta show someone back home that "I WAS THERE!" While it tended to be one particular group of tourists when we were there in May, there were plenty of knuckleheads from multiple sources to go around. The difference is the busloads of tourists all piling out of buses looking for animals to selfie with vs. the SUVs full of "native" knuckleheads.

more people die while doing stupid @#$%& for selfies than by shark. real statistic.
Re: What part of "Don't Approach the Bison"
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 24, 2019 06:10PM
Amateur photographers have been getting gored and trampled and killed by wildlife in Yellowstone since long before digital cameras and selfies. When I was 11 my dad got chased by a moose he was photographing, and that was a couple weeks after a tourist was gored when he got to close to a bison he was photographing. One of the grizzly deaths in the park was a photographer who got too close, and that was back in the eighties. People today have no more nor no less common sense than they did in earlier generations. There are more people in the park, and more people enjoy amateur photography, and amateur photographers spend more time on their hobby because it's close to free now.

Selfies are annoying just because they draw attention to a person, and unabashedly. I don't do selfies. But I also respond skeptically when somebody is hurt or killed any place that isn't paved and the media immediately claims it was because they were taking a selfie. That usually turns out to be false, but it feeds an ugly side of our nature and our media.
Date: July 24, 2019 06:24PM
Racer X
bfd

more people die while doing stupid @#$%& for selfies than by shark. real statistic.

He got great video of himself doing three pull ups.

Then fell 62 stories.

It was senseless. It was stupid. But it still breaks my heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 06:26PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: July 24, 2019 06:35PM
rgG
If the recommendation is say 30 feet for a regular person...

From Yellowstone's own web site:

"Always stay at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves, and at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all other animals, including bison and elk."
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 24, 2019 08:11PM
When I was young and dumb, back in the 1960's, we used to feed and be friendly with the bears in Yosemite before they made a concerted effort to curtail human/ursine interaction. I don't know what the Yellowstone animals were like back then, but after going to Yosemite several times, I think my inhibitions might have been lessened if the Yellowstone critters appeared to be friendly. After they started putting the kibosh on the Yosemite bears thing, I probably woulda given all National Park animals more space. Now, I'd stay much farther away, and keep someone more tasty looking between me and the Yellowstone animals.
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 24, 2019 08:19PM
mattkime
I think people are so used to living in safety that they forget that danger exists

that and the stupid @#$%& people post on social media interacting with wild animals make them think that it is safe.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 24, 2019 08:54PM
Blankity Blank
Racer X
bfd

He got great video of himself doing three pull ups.

Then fell 62 stories.

It was senseless. It was stupid. But it still breaks my heart.

Why does it break your heart? Did you know the fool? It's just one less moron able to breed more morons.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Date: July 24, 2019 09:20PM
The rail on the edge of the building was probably sharper than the guy had planned for, so it hurt his fingers... until it didn't.
==
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 24, 2019 10:47PM
DeusxMac
rgG
If the recommendation is say 30 feet for a regular person...

From Yellowstone's own web site:

"Always stay at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves, and at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all other animals, including bison and elk."

Yeah, I couldn’t remember if it was about 30 ft or 30 yards, but my point was, whatever the distance for an able bodied person, a person in a wheelchair should be further.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: July 24, 2019 10:47PM
richorlin

Why does it break your heart? Did you know the fool? It's just one less moron able to breed more morons.

Because I don’t hold that simplistic (and angry?) a view of humanity and my fellow humans. And I don’t view foolishness as deserving of a death sentence.

This kid did foolish things regularly. Caught up in a new cultural norm that puts such a distorted value on the meaningless approval of strangers that he lost sight of the value of his very life, and until becoming an object lesson himself, may well have been complicit in encouraging others along the same path.

That’s a sad, heartbreaking path. I’m sad for who he was outside of this madness. The kid who was loved. Who made someone happy. Was the sum of his life a negative or a positive? Can’t say. But it’s too bad he didn’t have more of a chance to make it a good one.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 24, 2019 11:16PM
I went with a guy I knew to feed his bison once. I had my 6-year-old nephew with me. It was snowing and there were 45 bison. My nephew stayed in the truck but I got out with my friend. He said there was only one to really watch out for but the rest could get out of hand at any moment. I could tell the bad one easily and stayed away from him. It was a pretty awesome experience.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: July 25, 2019 12:11AM
More ranchers probably get stomped by their own cows every year than 100 years of Bison .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2019 12:11AM by srf1957.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 25, 2019 12:33AM
and you would win that bet. but considering bison vs "cow" population size, hard to really measure.

but that being said, if it has teeth, claws, hooves, spikes or venom, don't be an idiot. just mass is enough.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 25, 2019 02:38AM
Because I don’t hold that simplistic (and angry?) a view of humanity and my fellow humans. And I don’t view foolishness as deserving of a death sentence.

This kid did foolish things regularly. Caught up in a new cultural norm that puts such a distorted value on the meaningless approval of strangers that he lost sight of the value of his very life, and until becoming an object lesson himself, may well have been complicit in encouraging others along the same path.

That’s a sad, heartbreaking path. I’m sad for who he was outside of this madness. The kid who was loved. Who made someone happy. Was the sum of his life a negative or a positive? Can’t say. But it’s too bad he didn’t have more of a chance to make it a good one.

Well said.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 25, 2019 10:59AM
People were stupid about wildlife long before selfies. My family went to Yellowstone in the (I think) mid 60s. We pulled over along a road along with a number of other folks to watch a bear with two cubs. No one got out of their car except one idiot, who not only got out with a bag of marshmallows, but took his toddler with him. He didn’t seem to realize it might be a bad idea until the hungry mama bear started toward him. Luckily for him, his kid, and the bears, he tossed the bag of marshmallows and slowly backed away, and mama decided to go for the marshmallows rather than the juicy toddler. If she had gone after him or the kid, she’d probably have been hunted down and killed. And there is no way a bear should be shot because of that kind of idiocy.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 25, 2019 11:49AM
RAMd®d

Well said.
agree smiley
As a guy that survived that sort of insane teen years (free climbing buildings, etc..), I appreciate the sentiment. None of us enter into risky behavior thinking we're going to die. And we often stop it after a loved one talks us out of it... my girlfriend and eventual wife talked me out of it. Well, also a few near fatal incidents got me thinking....
Date: July 25, 2019 01:39PM
cbelt3
RAMd®d
This kid did foolish things regularly... lost sight of the value of his very life...

None of us enter into risky behavior thinking we're going to die.

Not intending to move this to the Political side, but...

That's how military recruiters make their quotas.
Date: July 25, 2019 02:05PM
"It was senseless. It was stupid. But it still breaks my heart."

It would only break my heart if the moron landed on an innocent passerby.

Ideally, this knucklehead should have landed on a tall wrought iron fence, horribly impaling himself, as a good object lesson for others. boink smiley
Date: July 25, 2019 02:45PM
cbelt3
RAMd®d

Well said.
agree smiley
As a guy that survived that sort of insane teen years (free climbing buildings, etc..), I appreciate the sentiment. None of us enter into risky behavior thinking we're going to die. And we often stop it after a loved one talks us out of it... my girlfriend and eventual wife talked me out of it. Well, also a few near fatal incidents got me thinking....

Back in those dumb teen days, there was a little lake near our block, and of course there was a tree with a rope... best childhood buddy from up the street swung out, and went flying, only to land on the hidden rusty spike. Not pretty. Impaled. Totally thru his foot. Then it got infected. Really nasty.
==
Date: July 25, 2019 07:37PM
testcase
"It was senseless. It was stupid. But it still breaks my heart."

It would only break my heart if the moron landed on an innocent passerby.

Ideally, this knucklehead should have landed on a tall wrought iron fence, horribly impaling himself, as a good object lesson for others. boink smiley

I would love to hear a psychologist’s take on this.
Date: July 25, 2019 08:40PM
" would love to hear a psychologist’s take on this."

HEY!

You don't have to be crazy to post on this forum.............

But it sure helps! nuts smiley

ROTFL
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 26, 2019 08:35AM
rgG
When we were in Yellowstone I saw a woman pushing a person in a wheelchair to get closer to a bison. How crazy is that?

Very smart, actually.

If the bison charges, the person in the wheelchair becomes bait.

Always take an out of shape friend hiking with you.

"I don't have to run faster than the bear. I only need to run faster than you!"
Date: July 26, 2019 09:32AM
Lux Interior
rgG
When we were in Yellowstone I saw a woman pushing a person in a wheelchair to get closer to a bison. How crazy is that?

Very smart, actually.

If the bison charges, the person in the wheelchair becomes bait.

Always take an out of shape friend hiking with you.

"I don't have to run faster than the bear. I only need to run faster than you!"

It even gives you a couple of seconds to ‘struggle’ with the chair and strike an agonizing pose before running like a bat out of hell. Much better optics than pushing your small child out the way and scrambling over them.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 27, 2019 06:33PM
Where were the girl's parents? Were they the other people seen running away and leaving their child to fend for herself?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018