Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Connecting Macs to install PC app
Posted by: dmag
Date: July 24, 2019 03:17PM
Hi,

I think my post yesterday got gobbled up and didn't show. Trying again.

1. I need to install Powerpoint 2013 for PC in order to use a graphics package that has been built in that. This is the instruction from the designer.

2. I have no interest in going with a virtualizer like Parallels. Been there, done that. I came across an app called Crossover which allows use of PC apps from the Mac desktop. Worth a try.

3. Many moons ago I swapped out my optical drive for a second HD, so I need another solution to install anything from a disc. Powerpoint 2013 is not available as a download.

4. My question is, can I chain two Macs together and somehow run the installer from the other one, putting the program on my computer?

I've been digging for info and can't come up with anything on this. Hoping somebody here has done it, knows how, or can tell it's not possible.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Connecting Macs to install PC app
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 24, 2019 03:47PM
So the designer is saying that there is "a graphics package" that is installed as part of PP 2013 for PC, and they expect that said package will run on your Mac? I have never heard of such a thing, but in theory even if what they say is true then you still absolutely need a Windows emulator or virtual environment to run the PP 2013 installer.

If you have an optical disc, it is possible to use it as a remote disc drive from another mac. But I don't see how that will help if the installer is for Windows.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 24, 2019 04:12PM
You can use Remote Disk to share disks between Macs on the same network. Should work for a PC formatted disk (this can be used to install Windows, too).

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 24, 2019 05:09PM
rjmacs
You can use Remote Disk to share disks between Macs on the same network. Should work for a PC formatted disk (this can be used to install Windows, too).

Except, the Apple Support doc states:

DVD or CD sharing isn't designed for some kinds of optical media. Connect a compatible optical drive directly to your Mac if you need to use one of these discs:

Audio CDs
Blu-ray or DVD movies
Copy protected discs (such as some game discs)
Recordable CDs or DVDs that you want to burn or erase
Microsoft Windows installation discs

Edit: Bolding didn't work, but underlining did

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 05:11PM by neophyte.
Date: July 24, 2019 05:25PM
mikebw
So the designer is saying that there is "a graphics package" that is installed as part of PP 2013 for PC, and they expect that said package will run on your Mac? I have never heard of such a thing, but in theory even if what they say is true then you still absolutely need a Windows emulator or virtual environment to run the PP 2013 installer.

If you have an optical disc, it is possible to use it as a remote disc drive from another mac. But I don't see how that will help if the installer is for Windows.

The graphics package is designed in PP 2013, not part of it. The pathway to using the PC app is Crossover, an app that allows you to launch PC apps without the virtualizer. I've never tried it but have read comments that it works okay for most apps, including PP 2013.

PP 2016 and the Office 365 apps don't work so well on Crossover, so that's why I'm boxed in with 2013.

The PC installer will work through Crossover. I have an external optical from Other World but it has trouble with discs like installers. I can burn discs on it, but little else works. Other World answered me a couple of times on the problem then just admitted it was a known issue and that's where the conversation ended.

So, I figured maybe I could connect two Macs and run the installer from one to the other.

Maybe this Remote Disk can work.

Thanks.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 25, 2019 10:03AM
Boot the Mac (on which you want to install the software ) in Target Disk mode by holding down "t" at the startup sound. That makes it an external drive.

Now connect it to the Mac with the optical drive via Firewire cable or Thunderbolt cable or an adapter connector (FW to T'bolt).

The Target mode Mac should now show on the Optical Dive Mac's desktop as an external drive.

If all above works, install your software, or make a dmg of the software from the CD/DVD and place it on the Desktop of the Target drive. Then boot the Target Mac normally and install from the dmg.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2019 10:07AM by modelamac.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 25, 2019 12:38PM
Before shelling out money for Crossover, try Wine. It's the free software Crossover is based on.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 25, 2019 05:05PM
FYI WineHQ rating on Power Point 2013 is silver

Test results and bugs link
Date: July 25, 2019 08:20PM
Thanks, guys.

I just got a message from the Crossover guys that their ratings are out of date, and neither Powerpoint or Office is working well. Wish I'd known that a week ago.

An IT friend has offered to help me install Windows 10 Home through Bootcamp, and then I'd subscribe to the Office 365 service. That might be my best bet. Gotta think it through.

Again, thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018