advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.32 ( +0.74 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do I remove Scotch Tape Glue from an LCD Big Screen TV black frame.
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 26, 2007 10:09PM
I have this 42" TV, and it has a little bit of scotch tape glue on the black plastic that surrounds the LCD that is towards the bottom. I think it is from the piece of protective plastic that covered the LCD screen that was taped on.

I don't want to use anything on it that will harm it or make it worse. I even think that if I used plain water that rubbing it might leave scratches.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do I remove Scotch Tape Glue from an LCD Big Screen TV black frame.
Posted by: enrico7300
Date: January 26, 2007 10:23PM
Definitely don't use Goo Gone. It dissolves adhesives, but it dissolves plastics too.

Does anyone know if Bestine is plastic safe? We clean our Epson 10000 Pro printouts with it, and it doesn't harm the plastic-like coating on the paper, or the ink itself?

These people like Un-Du: [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: January 26, 2007 10:24PM
LIghter fluid. Get it at Walgreen's or some place that sells Zippos & Ronsons. It's naptha and it won't hurt the plastic, although it's always a good idea to test it on a hidden spot.

Or rubber cement thinner, my favorite solvent of all. It's a little hard to find. Sold under the brand name Bestine. Try an art supply store.

Edit: Enrico, Bestine is great stuff. I've never seen it harm plastic but again, always test. It will even remove tape from delicate printed material without disolving the printing ink or leaving a stain.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2007 10:26PM by Don Kiyoti.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 26, 2007 10:35PM
Peanut Butter! Smear a thin layer on and let it set for a few hours and wipe with a soft cloth.
You may have to repeat. Preferably Smooth not Crunchy.

Grateful11
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 26, 2007 10:36PM
Sometimes you can get most of it off by just pressing another piece of tape on and off to pick up the goo. WD-40 is also good about taking goo glue off, but I would test first.

Rubber cement thinner is the best stuff for glue residue. I used to keep a can in the kitchen just for glue goo removal. You can also get a rubber cement eraser, or you used to be able to get one. It is a square piece of this rubbery material and you use it to run the goo off. I would check an art supply store for either the thinner or the eraser.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: January 26, 2007 10:46PM
>
> Rubber cement thinner is the best stuff for glue residue. I used to keep a can in the
> kitchen just for glue goo removal ...
>

I'm not even gonna ask what's for dinner.

Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 26, 2007 10:50PM
Lighter fluid and WD-40 should both work and be safe
Posted by: cap812
Date: January 26, 2007 11:25PM
Do not use WD40. WD40 has micro beads of glass that are an abrasive. It will scratch your screen. Use the other products! DO NOT USE WD40. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

If you use WD40 you could easily end up with a very dull spot on your screen.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 26, 2007 11:44PM
cap812
Do not use WD40. WD40 has micro beads of glass that are an abrasive..

HUH!?!?
Where'd you hear/read that?

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: January 26, 2007 11:48PM
cap812
Do not use WD40. WD40 has micro beads of glass that are an abrasive. It will scratch your screen. Use the other products! DO NOT USE WD40. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

LOL! There are a lot of urban myths about WD-40 but that's the silliest one yet. Besides that, Microman's tape residue isn't on his screen.
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: January 27, 2007 01:23AM
Plain old vegtable or corn oil. Blot it on the adhesive and let it work, then rub it off. I learned this when working with pine trees. Everything else suggested here and above will react with plastic. I've used cooking oil on all kinds of plastics to remove adhesive gums for many years. Once the oil emulsifies the gum its easy to rub it off.

Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2007 01:24AM by motopsyco.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 27, 2007 01:58AM
Don Kiyoti
cap812

LOL! There are a lot of urban myths about WD-40 but that's the silliest one yet. Besides that, Microman's tape residue isn't on his screen.

I was just letting that one go.....

since the WD-40 formula hasn't changed in over 5 decades, I really really doubt it has glass microspheres in it.....(I am trying to be polite...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2007 01:59AM by Racer X.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 27, 2007 03:12AM
Just wait until "after" the SuperBowl.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 27, 2007 05:25AM
I used nail polish remover to get superglue off my plastic lenses on my glasses.

Da Good Life
Posted by: JEBB
Date: January 27, 2007 06:57AM
motopsyco
Plain old vegtable or corn oil. Blot it on the adhesive and let it work, then rub it off. I learned this when working with pine trees. Everything else suggested here and above will react with plastic. I've used cooking oil on all kinds of plastics to remove adhesive gums for many years. Once the oil emulsifies the gum its easy to rub it off.

Cheers!

motopsyco is right on the money! Vegtable oil will remove the glue and do no damage to your TV. A little mild soap and water will remove the remnants of the oil a tissue won't remove.
Date: January 27, 2007 08:42AM
Racer X
Don Kiyoti
cap812

I was just letting that one go.....

since the WD-40 formula hasn't changed in over 5 decades, I really really doubt it has glass microspheres in it.....(I am trying to be polite...)

I know for a fact that it also has Monkey Brains, Chicken Beaks, Eye of Newt, Hunks of old Razor Blades, Worms, and Puppy Dog Tails!

BGnR
Where you been RX! I thought Don, and I were alone!

"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: billb
Date: January 27, 2007 11:11AM
peanut oil, cooking oil, heck even the soft inside white part of an orange peel would be least likely to harm the plastic's finish.
Use a very very (microfiber) soft cloth and rub very very lightly.
Date: January 27, 2007 01:08PM
billb
peanut oil, cooking oil, heck even the soft inside white part of an orange peel would be least likely to harm the plastic's finish.
Use a very very (microfiber) soft cloth and rub very very lightly.

Actually the oil is on the outside of the skin, not the pithy inside. Works incredibly well on removing glue and grease. Orange oil is incredible stuff, industry uses tons of the stuff to clean anything that grease touches, doesn't harm the environment, you can drink the damn stuff! Orange oil, and Simple Green are the two best cleaners I have ever used.

BGnR

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 27, 2007 03:54PM
Seriously folks the Peanut Butter works without all the mess of plain oil. I've used a dozens of times.

Grateful11
Date: January 27, 2007 05:14PM
I put a piece of scotch tape over the spot, and it appears more Black is coming off onto the scotch tape.

Maybe this unit I got after I returned my original had this spot "spotted" by the manufacturer, since so much black easily comes off.

The whole unit is a dull finish black. The area in question is shiny. It may not be glue after all, Might be just the lack of the dull black finish, and the shiny undercoat showing thru.

Thanks.
Posted by: David S
Date: January 28, 2007 08:51AM
The tape pulled off the finish. Is your TV an Olevia? You probably got the one I returned to the Microcenter in Cambridge for the same problem.
Date: January 28, 2007 09:23AM
Yes the TV is an OLEVIA, and you returned a TV because of bad black finish on the border? I picked this TV up at OLEVIAs warehouse about 30 miles from my house. Picture finally doesnt have a backlight issue, but this little spot is bothering me, as I am paying for a "new" unit.

I took pictures with my phone of the warehouse. It was like being in the movie "Monsters Inc." with all those doors, but instead of doors they were LCD panels. for a far as the eye could see.

Will call OLEVIA on Monday, and see how they want to avoid this. (Sarcasm on big business)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login