Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch Poll - Cellular or Not ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 29, 2019 10:50AM
Poll
Which Apple Watch 4 version should I get ?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
36 votes were received.
Cellular 13

36%
Non-Cellular 19

53%
M A V I C Compatible 4

11%

I turn 60 this week. My V1 Apple watch has annoying limits, and the EKG and fall detection are interesting, considering my history of doing dumb stuff and getting hurt. Should I get the cellular or non-cellular version ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch Poll - Cellular or Not ?
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 29, 2019 10:57AM
Don't carriers charge an EXTRA ~ $10/month to get that cellular feature? If so, then over and above the cost of the watch, add $120/year EVERY year you use it (plus taxes. fees, surcharges etc).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 29, 2019 11:02AM
testcase
Don't carriers charge an EXTRA ~ $10/month to get that cellular feature? If so, then over and above the cost of the watch, add $120/year EVERY year you use it (plus taxes. fees, surcharges etc).
Yes they do... that's part of the overall cost picture for a stand alone device rather than a device that depends on being in range of a cell phone to work all the time.

But.. I pretty much always carry my cell. But a cellular watch would mean I don't have to...
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: July 29, 2019 11:04AM
testcase

Yes, but you don't have to activate it.

I have the Cellular v3, which I bought so I can activate it for those months I'm using the watch heavily for training (and I hate carrying my phone while on runs).

~A
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 29, 2019 11:07AM
Get a Timex. They're just as good as an AAPL watch.

How's that for a M A V I C Compatible answer.

angel smiley
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: July 29, 2019 11:29AM
I got it with the cellular option this time, but hardly ever take advantage of it. Next time, I won't bother with it.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 29, 2019 11:35AM
You also need to be with a carrier that supports the watch. That leaves out all the MVNO's as far as I know.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 29, 2019 11:36AM
If it's useful for you and the extra monthly cost feels reasonable then go for it.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 29, 2019 11:56AM
Ombligo
That leaves out all the MVNO's as far as I know.

Yep. That's why I don't have the cell version.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 29, 2019 12:10PM
A watch with a future high-functioning 5G Siri which can therefore use AI to interact with internet-of-things around it would be an interesting platform to build on. Presumably the cell service would not activate until needed. If nothing else, it could be a lot of fun.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 29, 2019 12:35PM
cbelt3
But.. I pretty much always carry my cell. But a cellular watch would mean I don't have to...

Ive considered moving to a watch only -- because I HATE carrying my cell phone. Even my small SE.

If its more of an impulse buy, watch prices. About 3 weeks ago the cell versions were $100 off...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 29, 2019 12:45PM
vision63
If it's useful for you and the extra monthly cost feels reasonable then go for it.

precisely my reasoning when i chose cellular. i do usually carry my phone but it is nice to walk the dog without it. i went to a conference this spring and it was good to enjoy the evening concerts without the tempting distraction of my phone yet still feel reachable.

btw, with ATT that extra$10 is really closer to $15 with taxes and fees. just figured that out last week. still within a budget for me but it was an annoying realization.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2019 12:47PM by graylocks.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 29, 2019 12:51PM
Caveat, be sure your cell plan lets you add the Apple Watch. I have cricket and it does not. It apparently has something to do with prepaid plans being frozen out.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 29, 2019 02:18PM
I prefer having the extra line for my iPad rather than for my watch.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: michaelb
Date: July 29, 2019 02:57PM
I have the cellular watch but don't have a plan. I demo'd the plan for a while, and I could see the value, but I ended up preferring not getting calls and texts when I was off walking in the woods.

Anyway, I think getting the cell option makes sense because you can dial 911 on the watch even without a plan. So even if I don't have my phone, ie walking the dog, or kayaking, or if I lost my phone, I can still call 911 in an emergency. So that is most of what I want having a cell phone/watch for those times and you get that feature without paying for a plan.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 29, 2019 03:03PM
What’s the range back to the iPhone? Bluetooth range? (30-ish ft?)

I always carry my phone, but if I didn’t it would be because it was farther away than that.

Also, will cellular how do you text with non-Apple users?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 29, 2019 03:20PM
deckeda

Also, will cellular how do you text with non-Apple users?

works just like it does on the iphone.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 29, 2019 03:47PM
Caveat, be sure your cell plan lets you add the Apple Watch. I have cricket and it does not. It apparently has something to do with prepaid plans being frozen out.

And that Cricket is an MVNO.

My next Watch will be LTE capable.

The add-on plan is $10-15 a month.

Assuming your carrier is compatible, you don't have to activate the cellular radio.

But as I understand it, not having seen any first hand testimony, you can still make 9-1-1 calls with just the Watch, without it's having a data plan. So if you're out and about and need it— it's there.

I have no plans to use the Watch as a 'Phone. It's tough on the battery.

Unfortunately, you need the data plan to send texts and get notifications when you leave the 'Phone at home. My 'Phone is usually with me.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 29, 2019 06:16PM
graylocks
vision63

precisely my reasoning when i chose cellular. i do usually carry my phone but it is nice to walk the dog without it. i went to a conference this spring and it was good to enjoy the evening concerts without the tempting distraction of my phone yet still feel reachable.

btw, with ATT that extra$10 is really closer to $15 with taxes and fees. just figured that out last week. still within a budget for me but it was an annoying realization.

Depends upon where you're located.

They're up to $24/month with "taxes and fees" in my state.

Only about $3.20 is actual taxes and federal/state fees. The rest is AT&T's own fees, most of which is deceptively labeled as regulatory fees. Pure money-grab.

Of US providers, only T-Mobile actually charges what they say they'll charge.

...If you're getting a Series 3 then going cellular doubles the storage from 8GB to 16GB, so there's still advantage even if you never activate it. On the Series 4, if I recall correctly, they all have the same 16GB capacity.

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 29, 2019 06:23PM
I believe you can call 911 without the cellular plan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018