advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What;s In her wallet? 'Woman arrested in massive Capital One data breach, impacting over 100 million people'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 29, 2019 10:37PM
Woman arrested in massive Capital One data breach, impacting over 100 million people
[abcnews.go.com]

A Seattle-area woman was arrested on Monday morning in connection with a newly-disclosed Capital One data breach that impacted more than 100 million people.

Capital One said it identified a security breach on July 19 when an unauthorized source "obtained certain types of personal information" related to credit card customers and others who had applied for products, the company said in a statement on Monday.

"Capital One immediately fixed the configuration vulnerability that this individual exploited and promptly began working with federal law enforcement," the statement said. "Based on our analysis to date, this event affected approximately 100 million individuals in the United States and approximately 6 million in Canada."

Specifically, the bank believes about 140,000 Social Security numbers of its credit card customers and around 80,000 linked bank account numbers were compromised, according to the statement.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What;s In her wallet? 'Woman arrested in massive Capital One data breach, impacting over 100 million people'
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 29, 2019 10:40PM
There was a time when we were told to never use our SSN for ANY purpose but SSN.

Sigh
Re: What;s In her wallet? 'Woman arrested in massive Capital One data breach, impacting over 100 million people'
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 29, 2019 11:02PM
There was also a time when my college used our SSNs as student ID numbers. You even wrote your name and SSN down when you signed into the computer lab.

Thankfully, we've evolved to where security questions aren't just mother's maiden name, but the city you were born in, first pets' name, street you grew up on, and first grade teacher. Effing geniuses.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 30, 2019 06:56AM
Old Social Security cards stated "not to be used for identification"
[images.app.goo.gl]
Posted by: robfilms
Date: July 30, 2019 07:16AM
as someone who banks with cap1, i guess i need to change all my passwords?

or that is simply closing the barn door after the cows left?

ugh ;-{

rob
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 30, 2019 07:26AM
Nothing in the news article, but on the radio this morning she was identified as an Amazon employee who used her Amazon access to figure out the Capital One vulnerability.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: July 30, 2019 07:29AM
amazon web services (aws) is a very large profit center for amazon.

i believe this employee was making a point!

ugh 2x ;-{

rob
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: July 30, 2019 07:33AM
I recently went through some old file folders to shred years of old documents. There were several companies in the 1980's that used SSN's as account numbers including Holiday Inn Priority Club. Needless to say my shredder got quite the workout.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 30, 2019 07:34AM
datbeme
There was also a time when my college used our SSNs as student ID numbers. You even wrote your name and SSN down when you signed into the computer lab.

Yep. You couldn't do much of anything on any given campus without spitting out your SSN ~30 years ago.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 30, 2019 08:20AM
Will Collier
datbeme

Yep. You couldn't do much of anything on any given campus without spitting out your SSN ~30 years ago.
40 years ago my campus did that. Someone pointed it out, so they changed our student ID's. They now started with the first letter of our last name, and then.. were the SS number. facepalm
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 30, 2019 08:28AM
cbelt3
Will Collier
datbeme

40 years ago my campus did that. Someone pointed it out, so they changed our student ID's. They now started with the first letter of our last name, and then.. were the SS number. facepalm

Student numbers were not a SSN through the '70's and early '80's at the university where I work and attended before that. Then some "bright" administrator(s) decided to use SSN's for student and employee numbers in the mid'80's against recommendations from a number of groups. At least the unions put up enough of a fuss that staff could request a non-SSN employee number be used instead. It only changed for students about 20 years ago when the campus adopted PeopleSoft and that used an 8-digit field for the field where employee and student ID numbers were to be stored.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 30, 2019 10:09AM
GM did that with their workers way back when. For years any paperwork that was requested was followed with: "What's your SS#?"

THAT was our employee ID number for many years. They finally did switch to actual employee ID numbers and no longer requested the SS#.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 30, 2019 01:10PM
So it seems the perpetrator of the breach has been arrested.

I'd like to know if Capital One exercised due care and caution in protecting the data.

I really want to see those charged with protecting data but failing to do so adequately— charged with a criminal offense, once there are some.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2019 05:21PM
At this point in time it is safe bet to assume you data has been stolen. If not from Capital One, then from Equifax, or from one of the countless breaches before that. If your data was not stolen yet, it will eventually be stolen.

So freeze your credit, use Credit Karma (at least) or lobby your employers to add ID theft protection to your benefits (at a discounted rate) and live with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 05:22PM by space-time.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 31, 2019 01:12PM
The person arrested in this case seems to have had many challenges in her life. The FBI found her in a home filled with an arsenal of powerful weapons and also arrested her landlord/roommate, so this could have possibly been something much worse than a data breach.

Also - she worked for AWS briefly and apparently had not been there since 2016.

This breach is a Capital One problem, not Amazon.

[www.kuow.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020