advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Here’s the website to submit your claim with Equifax
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 30, 2019 03:15AM
You’ll enter your surname and the last six numbers of your social. I was impacted and claimed $125.

[eligibility.equifaxbreachsettlement.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Here’s the website to submit your claim with Equifax
Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 30, 2019 04:51AM
There’s $31 million to cover over 100 million of us. We’ll be lucky to get a check for a buck. I signed up anyway.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: July 30, 2019 06:56AM
I got an Error at the end with no way to fix it.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 30, 2019 07:13AM
To get the $125 you have to certify that you have to "certify that I have credit monitoring and will have it for at least 6 months from today." AFAIK I haven't (unless my financial advisor does it—have to check with him).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 30, 2019 07:32AM
mrlynn
To get the $125 you have to certify that you have to "certify that I have credit monitoring and will have it for at least 6 months from today." AFAIK I haven't (unless my financial advisor does it—have to check with him).

/Mr Lynn

A lot of credit cards offer this for free. You might already have it just by opting in. Or, sign up for Credit Karma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 07:33AM by BernDog.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 30, 2019 07:45AM
Be aware that filing for the $125 compensation is not a guarantee that you will receive $125. That amount will be distributed until funds no longer support that amount, at which time smaller checks will be cut. There's no report of how many people have already submitted, but the pool of cash isn't big enough to give everyone $125.

More info here, if you can see it without paywall problems.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 30, 2019 08:07AM
OK, thanks! I just signed up for credit reporting via our BoA account. So now I'm not lying.

Also put in a claim for my wife. So maybe we'll get $250? I'll believe it when I see the checks in the mail.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 30, 2019 08:13AM
Thanks for posting this.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 30, 2019 09:08AM
PeterW
There’s $31 million to cover over 100 million of us. We’ll be lucky to get a check for a buck. I signed up anyway.
This
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 30, 2019 09:10AM
What isn't disclosed is that the sign-up site will also probably get breached and then it's back on the merry go round with your name, addy, year born, and most of your social security number.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 30, 2019 09:18AM
SteveO
What isn't disclosed is that the sign-up site will also probably get breached and then it's back on the merry go round with your name, addy, year born, and most of your social security number.

Yup. "We got breached and all your info may have been stolen. Just in case it wasn't, please enter it all into this site and we promise it won't get stolen..."
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 30, 2019 09:50AM
Speedy
You’ll enter your surname and the last six numbers of your social. I was impacted and claimed $125.

The request for six numbers from my SS# made me a little uncomfortable, so I went through this link ftc.gov/Equifax from a USA Today article on Equifax claims fraud, and it led me to a claims page — also identified as the claims administrator JND — that walked me through a process that never asked for any SS information.

Not sure what to make of that.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 30, 2019 09:56AM
Carm
PeterW
This

It's actually $380 or so million, but only the first $31 million or so will be paid in $125 checks.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 30, 2019 10:21AM
Blankity Blank
Speedy

The request for six numbers from my SS# made me a little uncomfortable, so I went through this link ftc.gov/Equifax from a USA Today article on Equifax claims fraud, and it led me to a claims page — also identified as the claims administrator JND — that walked me through a process that never asked for any SS information.

"The site also features a tool that allows readers to check whether they are eligible to receive any benefits. It requires users to enter their last name and the last six digits of their social security number."
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 30, 2019 10:31AM
3d
Blankity Blank
Speedy

"The site also features a tool that allows readers to check whether they are eligible to receive any benefits. It requires users to enter their last name and the last six digits of their social security number."

Better. Well done. Thanks.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 30, 2019 10:55AM
I actually saved the receipts for the credit freezes that I had to apply and I had copies of the confirmations as well. I had to redact some of the information on the PDFs though.

So $125, plus 3 hours work, plus $21 to activate a credit freeze on three credit agencies (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion)

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 30, 2019 11:09AM
I went to the same site (original one posted by OP) through a time.com article.
The site listed is a eligibility checking tool.
The one through the USA link just sends you to the registration process without checking.
I wasn’t part of the hack so I didn’t fill out the rest of the info. My wife and her BIL were. My SIL and I were not.
Date: July 30, 2019 11:16AM
ztirffritz
I actually saved the receipts for the credit freezes that I had to apply and I had copies of the confirmations as well. I had to redact some of the information on the PDFs though.

So $125, plus 3 hours work, plus $21 to activate a credit freeze on three credit agencies (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion)

3 hours work? What about the time lying in bed thinking about the best course of action, researching online, catching news programs on TV for info because it affected you, speaking with friends and family, etc.. In total, it could easily amount to 10 hours. It all translates to "work" ever since it directly affected you. You sure as heck weren't doing all that for fun.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 30, 2019 12:04PM
3d
3 hours work? What about the time lying in bed thinking about the best course of action, researching online, catching news programs on TV for info because it affected you, speaking with friends and family, etc.. In total, it could easily amount to 10 hours. It all translates to "work" ever since it directly affected you. You sure as heck weren't doing all that for fun.

Yeah. Bill time like a lawyer!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 30, 2019 01:39PM
ztirffritz

credit freezes are free now.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 30, 2019 01:58PM
graylocks
ztirffritz

They are now. Weren't then. I was LIVID that I had to pay to freeze my credit.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 30, 2019 02:54PM
ztirffritz
graylocks
ztirffritz

They are now. Weren't then. I was LIVID that I had to pay to freeze my credit.

Yup, I managed to only have to pay for the Experian freeze ($10), but it took a good amount of research to figure out how to do a free TransUnion freeze back then and Equifax was so screwed up I had to come back multiple times in order to sign up for their "TrustedID" program.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 363
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018