advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Invite someone to the forum today
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 30, 2019 03:02PM

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Invite someone to the forum today
Posted by: hal
Date: July 30, 2019 04:42PM
It seems to me that there hasn't been any new blood in here for a long time. I just did the tedious work of trying to find the last registered user and it seems to be this guy: [forums.macresource.com]

registered 10/16/2014 01:37AM

I just used a user profile link and upped the number at the end of it until I get nothing but error messages. There doesn't seem to be any new entries after user# 6322 - no new forumites in almost 5 years.

WTFH?? Maybe there was a change in the the way the links are created now, but I dunno...
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: July 30, 2019 05:09PM
I joined in 2016, although I had been lurking from the beginning.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Posted by: hal
Date: July 30, 2019 05:16PM
Wow - I guess that means that there really were that many fake registrations...
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 30, 2019 05:37PM
From my possibly faulty memory, there are user accounts up around 7300.

When this came up around a few years ago, I commented on how massively difficult it is to register. Someone along the lines of mrp-admin exclaimed how proud they were that almost no spammers had posted in years. My reply was along the lines of 'yeah, but during that time there have been almost no new users either.'

There has got to be a middle ground. The highest number I just found was 7010 It hasn't been used since it was registered.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 30, 2019 05:42PM
Filliam H. Muffman
The highest number I just found was 7010 It hasn't been used since it was registered.

Possibly because the registration confirmation went into their spam folder. My ISP blocked the first two requests from the forum for confirmation so they never even made it to my spam folder, my third try was to an AOL account which let it through.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 30, 2019 05:55PM
Based on valid user names to send PMs to, this is the most recent.

cher0 - forums.macresource.com/profile.php?1,7455

This account also hasn't been used since it was registered. I don't think they want new users since so many of the most recent ones turned out to be trolls that were banned.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 30, 2019 07:14PM
I didn't realize it could be onerous (then? now?) to register.

But there's been a vast sunsetting of specialized forums ever since Facebook. That's the reality. I don't even so much as sniff any Mac or Apple-related groups on FB although I'm sure there are plenty. I don't see it as a substitute for any dedicated forum, but since it's casual, many people do.

Way back when I was more active helping people get set up / fixed with Macs, I always suggested they join here, so as to be self-sufficient. That need has lessened with OS X and iOS more or less taking care of themselves in ways the old OS and early OS X never did.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 30, 2019 08:42PM
I joined 10/04/2016. I had departed Dealchat around 2003, because life got in the way of enjoyment.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 30, 2019 10:37PM
Welcome to one and all.

I value this community.

I’m going to think about how to recruit some new blood. Plenty of my friends have abandoned Facebook and other social media. Might be good recruiting time.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 31, 2019 02:34PM
Every time this comes up , i have essentially the same suggestion: go to the closest AS, and leave the MRF page up on as many machines as you can.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 31, 2019 02:49PM
mrbigstuff
Every time this comes up , i have essentially the same suggestion: go to the closest AS, and leave the MRF page up on as many machines as you can.

I can't imagine how weird and unappealing this forum would seem to me as an outsider.

And I mean that with so very much love and true affection for MRF. emoticon_love

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 31, 2019 03:53PM
rjmacs
mrbigstuff

I can't imagine how weird and unappealing this forum would seem to me as an outsider.

And I mean that with so very much love and true affection for MRF. emoticon_love

I guess, there could be that. Depends on how many "puns" we have going on on the main page at that given time.

However, when I think more closely about my idea, I realize there are so very few geeks patrolling the AS these days, that I doubt my idea would produce many adherents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 03:54PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 31, 2019 11:25PM
Pun count is very low ATM. Now is the time to invite!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018