advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Costco now sells KitchenAid appliances
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 31, 2019 10:38AM
I was shopping for a new dishwasher (ours just broke, GE circa 12-15 year old, not worth fixing) and I saw that Costco now sells KitchenAid appliances. I know KichenAid is made by Whirlpool, I guess this is their "higher end" brand (I think Jen Air is also a high end brand from Whirlpool). Anyway, looking at the features between Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid, I decided to go with this model. There are no reviews at Costco since it is new on their web site, but general reviews in Google are pretty good. Maybe not the best price or the best model, but I need a dishwasher now (will be delivered next week). I cannot afford to wait until Labor Day sales.

[www.costco.com]

EDIT: this thing is 102 lb. Similar Whirlpool models (maybe $100-150 less expensive) were as light as 60lb. I imagine they used more plastic parts in those to reduce weight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 10:40AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Costco now sells KitchenAid appliances
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 31, 2019 10:50AM
more or less, prolly the same we bought 12 years ago.
Been quite reliable. I replaced the locking clip and tub gasket on service report. Grinder after 11 years.
Pretty easy maint as long as your back is flexible.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 31, 2019 10:54AM
Whirlpool also makes appliances for IKEA and the Sears Kenmore brand.
Just a guess, but the heavier machines are US made and the cheaper, lighter
stuff is imported?

Good luck with your new DW!

wow, it's $748 @ HD.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 10:58AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Buck
Date: July 31, 2019 01:19PM
Major appliances are now disposable, throw away items. They don't last anymore. Period.
They should easily last 10 years, and it used to be that way, but now everyone wants to sell you extended warrantees of 3 to 5 years. Repairs are horribly expensive.

Samsung fridge, Whirlpool range, Bosch dishwasher. All crap.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: July 31, 2019 05:24PM
Prior to remodeling our kitchen with all new appliances I posed the question to our regular appliance repair man if he were in our position what would he install for reliability and value? His reply was unequivocally KitchenAid! We already had a twenty year old KitchenAid refrigerator that had only required a new ice maker at the 14 year mark other than that trouble free so we took his advice and now five years later still trouble free and happy with all the appliances.
Date: July 31, 2019 09:08PM
So the new dishwasher is supposed to arrive next week. The old one is hard to start, it has been like this for about one week now. Somehow you fave to fiddle with the touch buttons to make it start.

Anecdotally, the younger kid managed to get it started somehow. I am not sure what he did, but he got it going, while my wife and I struggled.

Last night none of us could get it started.

This morning I finally managed to get it started by pressing 2 buttons at the same time.

This evening I tried again (it was almost empty, I just wanted to test it) and I could not get it started.

T took the door/control panel apart and measured with DMM the ribbon, some buttons seemed to work, some did not.

I could not find any obvious issue. I put it back together so it does not look ugly until we get the new one.

I tried to get it started. I hard a hard time, but eventually I got it started. I think the trick was that I had to press the button for a long time (5-10 s).

Then as soon as the wash cycle was done, I tried it again. Not it works like brand new, all buttons work at the first ouch.

We sill want a new one. LOL.
Date: July 31, 2019 09:10PM
wife says I could take a second job fixing appliances, LOL
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 01, 2019 01:12PM
That’s handy to know. A friend bought a KA fridge at Lowe’s and six months later it’s had five repairs and still doesn’t work and nobody is willing to fix it or make things right. I’d feel much better buying a fridge at Costco.

My KA fridge is nearly 20 years old. I’ve had to do a few repairs on it but nothing I couldn’t manage by myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018