advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eastern Canada road trip
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 03, 2019 06:05PM
thinking about Acadia Park then St John, New Brunswick, for a whale watch.
(family and friends stops along the way to Acadia)
then either Cape Breton Highlands park.
Or perhaps something on PEI or Nova Scotia?
AirBnBs.

Anyone done this neck of the woods.?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eastern Canada road trip
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 03, 2019 06:21PM
Did the Nova Scotia circle in October a few years back. Had planned to take the ferry from Bar Harbor, Maine, to Yarmouth, but it was cancelled that day due to an autumn storm. To stay on our schedule, that made for a bit of a long drive through New Brunswick, but the colors in Cape Breton Highlands NP were quite nice. We planned our trip to coincide with both leafpeeping season and the Celtic Colours music festival (though for various reasons never attended any music performances). Especially the North Shore of the island can truly feel like a foreign country.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 04, 2019 05:23PM
Fritz
thinking about Acadia Park then St John, New Brunswick, for a whale watch.
(family and friends stops along the way to Acadia)
then either Cape Breton Highlands park.
Or perhaps something on PEI or Nova Scotia?
AirBnBs.

Anyone done this neck of the woods.?

We've been to all four Maritime provinces many times.

Since you'll be in the Bar Harbor area (and if the Bar Harbor ferry terminal is ready), consider taking the CAT ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The high speed ferry trip is an adventure in itself and a huge time saver:

[www.ferries.ca]

Drive the Cabot Trail (Cape Breton, Nova Scotia)—spectacular!

[en.wikipedia.org]

I think you'd regret not visiting PEI. It's a wonderful island (accessible by the Confederation Bridge as well as by ferry) worthy of a good portion of your Maritimes trip.

[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Whale watching:

[www.atlanticcanada.worldweb.com]
"Prime whale watching destinations in the Maritimes include the Fundy shores of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and the coastal communities lying along the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton."

…so St. John isn't a bad place to start out on a whale watching tour.

So basically, a counter-clockwise grand tour…

Have you got enough time?
Date: August 05, 2019 07:46AM
thanks AA.
Was thinking Cabot trail and Highlands Nat Park.
The ferry will have to wait as it's kind of a detour from St John along the way.
Very def don't have enough time, but may have to extend as long as there is coverage back home. Then we could take in PEI as well.
Trying to keep the driving chunks to 6 hrs if possible.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 06, 2019 10:09AM
I don't know how you were thinking of coming home, or where or what direction that may be. But you may want to think about driving the Gaspe peninsula. Then for whale watching, cross over to Tadoussac and whale watch from there. Tadoussac has so some of the best whale watching (in the world, including from land) and so may be worth a detour if that is a priority. There are probably many other spots along your trip that has whales, so you can take a boat watching trip from lots of other locations if you don't want to go far. But the observation deck over the Sanguenay Fjord is very special, and there are often whales in the water right below you (some of that is luck, so I can't guarantee that).
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: August 06, 2019 10:03PM
National Geographic has a nice 'road trip' video of PEI sights that you might enjoy .

=TC
Date: August 09, 2019 05:23PM
Tadoussac would be a little too far to make the trip work.
Next trip up and I think PEI as well.
Those 2 alone could be a week.

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018